Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
definitely appreciate your input. losing a hitch rack and gas cans on the trail would be bad, but i'm way more worried about it holding up with bumps and dips in the highway...having that come lose and hit a car behind me would be a disaster. i'm going to test it out well before getting on the road with it.

while i have you here....i have a 35ah battery in my camper shell to run lights and a small water pump. i would like to charge it with the trucks elec system and was wondering what you think about tying into the wiring harness of the 7 pin trailer connector and hot tapping into the 12v wire and using that to charge the 2nd battery.
I've run into a glitch with this. If your truck has a "smart" alternator, the output is reduced once the starting battery is charged. Your second battery may or may not be fully changed by that point. Many of the newer battery isolators have circuitry to deal with this to ensure you do get a full charge.

That said, I also have a 35 Ah battery in my teardrop. It runs a few lights and a roof fan. I've never had it die for lack of charge. I had looked into a 100Ah battery to deal with a fridge. I have some doubts it would have been properly charged. In the meantime, my style of camping has changed, and the fridge has gone into the Tahoe.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I've run into a glitch with this. If your truck has a "smart" alternator, the output is reduced once the starting battery is charged. Your second battery may or may not be fully changed by that point. Many of the newer battery isolators have circuitry to deal with this to ensure you do get a full charge.

That said, I also have a 35 Ah battery in my teardrop. It runs a few lights and a roof fan. I've never had it die for lack of charge. I had looked into a 100Ah battery to deal with a fridge. I have some doubts it would have been properly charged. In the meantime, my style of camping has changed, and the fridge has gone into the Tahoe.
yeah, im not sure about the alternator toyota uses, ill need to look into that...glad you mentioned that because i didnt think about it

i use 200w solar on our camp trailer with 100ah battery and that works great running lights and 65qt dometic fridge.

Reactions: Sparksalot

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

yeah, im not sure about the alternator toyota uses, ill need to look into that...glad you mentioned that because i didnt think about it

i use 200w solar on our camp trailer with 100ah battery and that works great running lights and 65qt dometic fridge.
@TahoePPV

Yes the Chevy/ GMC Tucks definitely have this smart alternator. I plan to install a second battery in the engine bay of my 14 GMC Sierra, and I am going to the the GM multipurpose relay and fuse block. I think they also put something on the second negative cable to measure lost energy, so that the charging can be more accurate.

There a a lot of write ups available on the GM Truck Club and similar forums. I just want to make it as stock as possible.

I just want to run my CB and some side lights for when I'm camped. Charge my cordless stuff. Maybe get a Goal Zero or Jackary or something. But I want to make sure the truck starts

Reactions: grubworm

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm a bit confused if your gonna use the 7 pin trailer plug wiring to charge a battery with no load you should be fine. I mean it is why there is a 12v source on that plug so you can charge the house battery on a rv trailer or run auxiliary lights on a trailer. On my car hauler I have a group 34 battery that runs a winch and my 18 colorado hasn't had any issues keeping it charged.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I'm a bit confused if your gonna use the 7 pin trailer plug wiring to charge a battery with no load you should be fine. I mean it is why there is a 12v source on that plug so you can charge the house battery on a rv trailer or run auxiliary lights on a trailer. On my car hauler I have a group 34 battery that runs a winch and my 18 colorado hasn't had any issues keeping it charged.
it made sense to me and seemed fairly simple....that's why i was questioning it. :grinning:

cool deal...i'll order an isolator from amazon and i should be good to go!

appreciate the feedback, justin

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I use a Wilco Solo on my Porsche. I've had it for eight years and am happy with it. The rack is rated for 150lb of weight and you can get highlift and roptopax mounts. Wilco has other models that can carry more weight and accessories.

IMG_20181105_171622339.jpgIMG_20190307_162423745_HDR.jpg20201222_083919 (600x800).jpg

Last edited:

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
while checking out the Rigd carrier, i came across a manufacturer in Oregon called StowAway and they have a similar swing out unit also rated for 250# but theirs is $300 and the Rigid is $1300. i'm sure the Rigid is beefier and stronger and built for rougher traveling while supporting all that weight, but i'm in a pretty much stock tundra, so i wont be doing a lot of bouncing and hopefully the $300 unit will suffice.

appreciate the replies and if anyone else is ever interested in a swing out hitch, i'll let you know how this one works

View attachment 185095

Attachments

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
damn! that is a crazy amount of stick-out! they didnt show that pic on their website.
well...i have a sawsall and a welder...:expressionless:
Still the tire would still stick out. I think for all the hassle of trying to make something work it would be easier to just get a purpose built tire carrier.

Reactions: grubworm

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I've been looking at tire carriers again. I've had Rigd on my mind for some time. Now I can't recall why Rigd vs Wilco.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I've been looking at tire carriers again. I've had Rigd on my mind for some time. Now I can't recall why Rigd vs Wilco.
I’ve had both and in my opinion Rigd is the better option. I had to switch to the Wilco due to my rear bumper and miss the Rigd.

Not a fan of how the bolts are not secured in place on the Wilco.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’ve had both and in my opinion Rigd is the better option. I had to switch to the Wilco due to my rear bumper and miss the Rigd.

Not a fan of how the bolts are not secured in place on the Wilco.
Do you a picture you can share to illustrate that?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the stowaway brand came today. its built well and will do the job...just not a big fan of how far it sticks out, but like i said earlier...it is a $1000 cheaper than the Rigd, and for a $1000 difference....i will ABSOLUTELY love this one!

besides, if this one ends up pissing me off, both my kids camp and drive pick ups so i'll give it to one of them and then go get something else :grinning:

IMG_0419.JPGIMG_0420.JPGIMG_0422.JPG

Reactions: mep1811

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Any pictures if the carrier closed?
i bought a utility wagon from northern tool years back and my oldest son destroyed the front axle so i just took the top part off and held on to it. that is what i used as the cargo basket. i used 1-1/2" aluminium square tube to raise the basket up so it would clear the latch and that way i shifted the whole thing in toward the truck a good 6-8" and i dont have that crazy stick out now :grinning:

1614736494694.png

Reactions: FishinCrzy

geronimo1111

Rank 0

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Losey
Surprised nobody mentioned RakAttach out of Utah...$359 and it's the only product they build. Anyone have experience with that?

I'm looking for a swing away hitch mainly for vertically hanging a recumbent tadpole trike and potentially two mountain bikes...

I like the RigD for it's ability to carry a tire and an additional accessory (like a bike carrier, etc.). And, for only about $300 more than Wilco, seems like a better way to go if one needs that functionality (beyond just a tire carrier)....I don't believe Wilco has a hitch receiver as part of the swing out arm...

All that said, I looked at the Thule, Kuat, Yakima, RakAttach, RigD, Wilco and the Stowaway. Of the bike specific ones, the RakAttach looks the best to me. Full monty...RigD. But about a $900 difference in price.

I looked at the Stowaway, too, and was intrigued by the specs, build and price point. Only thing is that it does not have a hitch receiver attached to the swing arm. I suppose one could be welded on.

The other option seems to be design and build my own...currently pricing materials. RigD would be my preference, but the price point seems very high. They have obviously done their R&D, though.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Surprised nobody mentioned RakAttach out of Utah...$359 and it's the only product they build. Anyone have experience with that?

I'm looking for a swing away hitch mainly for vertically hanging a recumbent tadpole trike and potentially two mountain bikes...

I like the RigD for it's ability to carry a tire and an additional accessory (like a bike carrier, etc.). And, for only about $300 more than Wilco, seems like a better way to go if one needs that functionality (beyond just a tire carrier)....I don't believe Wilco has a hitch receiver as part of the swing out arm...

All that said, I looked at the Thule, Kuat, Yakima, RakAttach, RigD, Wilco and the Stowaway. Of the bike specific ones, the RakAttach looks the best to me. Full monty...RigD. But about a $900 difference in price.

I looked at the Stowaway, too, and was intrigued by the specs, build and price point. Only thing is that it does not have a hitch receiver attached to the swing arm. I suppose one could be welded on.

The other option seems to be design and build my own...currently pricing materials. RigD would be my preference, but the price point seems very high. They have obviously done their R&D, though.
The Wilco I have does have a hitch receiver and has attachments for fuel, table, hi-jack, etc. When there are no accessories attached, there is a wide gap between the carrier and the tailgate. This is where I like the RidD because it sits closer to the body of the rig.

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

How would any of these work with a hitch mounted cargo carrier?
We have a curt 24x60 in that I want to keep using.

I can hold my jerry cans, water, a cooler and the traction boards on it nicely. I brought home a 3 level craftsman tool chest on it and did it like a champ so I know it is sturdy. This would be on our Tahoe which has a good weight rating.

Last edited: