Swag for a tall guy

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

My wife is not too into camping, so I am often the only one in the rig. I would like to keep things light and simple whenever possible, so I'm considering getting a swag.

These are not as common in the US as they are in Australia, so it is hard to find places I can see them in person. One problem is that I am 6'4" and in smaller tents I often end up with my feet pressing against the tent wall, smudging down the bag insulation and making my feet cold.

Anyone use a swag? What do you like or dislike about its features and construction?

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Not sure what you mean my a swag? Seemed to range from open to all most like a small tent. Just got one of these to try.
https://www.majorsurplus.com/czech-bed-roll.html
I'm 6'3" and seems ok although yet to give it a full test. Cheap enough if it's what you are looking for. Plenty of YouTube reviews on it too.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

I've only seen a few swags readily available in the US; ARB, Kodiak Canvas, and Outback, and those are all 80-84" long.

Have you looked into the cot-tent combos from OzTent or Kamp-Rite? They're decent solo shelter solutions, especially under a tarp shelter or awning and I know Kamp-Rite has an XL version that's 90" long.

Other than that, you may be more comfortable in pretty much any tent designed for 2-3 people.

Scott Murray

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Leinster WA, Australia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Murray
Member #

My wife is not too into camping, so I am often the only one in the rig. I would like to keep things light and simple whenever possible, so I'm considering getting a swag.

These are not as common in the US as they are in Australia, so it is hard to find places I can see them in person. One problem is that I am 6'4" and in smaller tents I often end up with my feet pressing against the tent wall, smudging down the bag insulation and making my feet cold.

Anyone use a swag? What do you like or dislike about its features and construction?
Yeah plenty of options here in Australia -
https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/blackwolf-bushranger-swag-king

http://darche.com.au/products/swags/

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I've only seen a few swags readily available in the US; ARB, Kodiak Canvas, and Outback, and those are all 80-84" long.

Have you looked into the cot-tent combos from OzTent or Kamp-Rite? They're decent solo shelter solutions, especially under a tarp shelter or awning and I know Kamp-Rite has an XL version that's 90" long.

Other than that, you may be more comfortable in pretty much any tent designed for 2-3 people.
I had considered a cot-tent, but they seem to be made of much lighter material and there is the issue of being cooled from below, which has been a problem when I hammock-camp. A thick pad would solve that, but it doesn't solve the wind problem. I just figured there was less to go wrong on a swag, since it can roll up and doesn't rely on a cot frame that can be bent or broken.

I have a 2-man tent, which works okay, but is kind of a pain to set up and take down every day. I like the idea of a simple swag with just one or two poles and no stakes. I plan to put an awning on the side of the rig, so I can roll out the swag and sleep under the awning; that way any dew or evening rain won't be a problem and I can pack up out of the elements in the morning.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Ouch,, my first wife was not too into camping either. In her opinion a great vacation meant outstanding room service.. Good luck brother.. :)

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

DSCN0722.JPG

Until recently the conventional canvas swag was quite shallow, now "dome" swags are much more popular and have much more height to them, when I was in the market for one, i needed something i could sit up in and get changed in etc....it is PVC with a bucket floor, (220 cms / 86.6 inches) and rolls up to a third the size of a canvas swag, and drop sheet tarp and fly tarp ensures I stay nice and dry !...hope that helps...cheers !