Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Good to see a fellow Escape artist!
How does the Escape handle steep down grades? This has been my biggest concern with how steep some of the places around here are, and not have a low range to help with engine braking. Though I will say my Escape does have rear disc brakes as well, and the facotry extrenal transmission oil cooler so Im sure I could use the trans. for all its worth and not worry. But that brakes doing the lions share of the slowing concerns me.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

How does the Escape handle steep down grades? This has been my biggest concern with how steep some of the places around here are, and not have a low range to help with engine braking. Though I will say my Escape does have rear disc brakes as well, and the facotry extrenal transmission oil cooler so Im sure I could use the trans. for all its worth and not worry. But that brakes doing the lions share of the slowing concerns me.
If it makes you feel better, my CR-V has no low range and it only has drums in the rear, and I've done some long, very steep descents with no dramas. Just use as much engine braking as you've got and feather the brakes instead of riding them, and you'll probably be fine. Make sure your pads and rotors are in good shape as well, of course.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
If it makes you feel better, my CR-V has no low range and it only has drums in the rear, and I've done some long, very steep descents with no dramas. Just use as much engine braking as you've got and feather the brakes instead of riding them, and you'll probably be fine. Make sure your pads and rotors are in good shape as well, of course.
Thanks, the Escape does engine brake quite aggressively in first and second.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Thanks, the Escape does engine brake quite aggressively in first and second.
CR-V does too. They tuned the tranny for a lower gear ratio in the low gears. It's for sure not as good as low range would be, but it helps some. Just gotta drive it carefully and not think you're in a jeep Wrangler lol

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

Dillon, the front brakes will be taking the brunt of the load during any downhill runs. Off road, I just drop it into 1st and use the brakes to help when engine braking alone is insufficient. Brakes and first gear will do well if the traction is decent. If traction is poor, you need to be really careful with your brake technique.

The transmission seems to do well with long runs in low gears. I've spent hours in first and second gear at the Oceano Dunes. I was constantly spinning my tires, doing donuts, powerslides, slaloms, climbing dunes, and performing other dune hooning maneuvers. No sign of overheating the transmission.

On long highway downhill runs I just slowly apply, then slowly release the brakes to control speed without risking warping the front rotors or over heating the brakes.

Also, on highway hills and mountains I turn off overdrive. This not only keeps it out of the top gear, but also seems to run a sightly different shifting program more suitable to inclines.

Cheers

Last edited:

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Dillon, the front brakes will be taking the brunt of the load during any downhill runs. Off road, I just drop it into 1st and use the brakes to help when engine braking is insufficient alone. Brakes and first gear will do well if the traction is decent. If traction is poor, you need to be really careful with your brake technique.

The transmission seems to do well with long runs in low gears. I've spent hours in first and second gear at the Oceano Dunes. I was constantly spinning my tires, doing donuts, powerslides, slaloms, climbing dunes, and performing other dune hooning maneuvers. No sign of overheating the transmission.

On long highway downhill runs I just slowly apply, then slowly lift the brakes to control speed without risking warping the front rotors or over heating the brakes.

Also, on highway hills and mountains I turn off overdrive. This not only keeps it out of the top gear, but also seems to run a sightly different shifting program more suitable to inclines.

Cheers
When any of my auto trans rigs start pulling a hill Ill typically downshift, at least out of OD. Also on long downhills Ill typically select a lower gear. And off road Im usually either in 1st or 2nd, typically 1st as most auto transmissions (the Escape included) will ONLY use 2nd when it is manually selected, yes that means 1st is not used.
Speaking of warped rotors, I should replace mine...
Only reason I really bring this up is I have heard horror stories of guys using the brakes too heavily on steep decents and cooking brake caliper seals and creating leaks. Im sure this was due to bad driver technique but it made me wonder. This is the first 4x4 I have owned that doesnt have a traditional transfer case...

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

When any of my auto trans rigs start pulling a hill Ill typically downshift, at least out of OD. Also on long downhills Ill typically select a lower gear. And off road Im usually either in 1st or 2nd, typically 1st as most auto transmissions (the Escape included) will ONLY use 2nd when it is manually selected, yes that means 1st is not used.
Speaking of warped rotors, I should replace mine...
Only reason I really bring this up is I have heard horror stories of guys using the brakes too heavily on steep decents and cooking brake caliper seals and creating leaks. Im sure this was due to bad driver technique but it made me wonder. This is the first 4x4 I have owned that doesnt have a traditional transfer case...
They probably rode the brakes the whole way down, I bet.

Reactions: OuterLimits

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Here's my new (To me, anyway) Escape S.

Maybe this will be a momento of what it looked like at one point in its life. Unfortunately it is only FWD, but for the light trail exploring I do, some real good tires should be fine.
I just picked up a 2017 4wd titanium ad my daily driver. Not sure how much overlanding it will get but it's a fun lil car.

20181118_164919.jpeg

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
I just picked up a 2017 4wd titanium ad my daily driver. Not sure how much overlanding it will get but it's a fun lil car.

View attachment 77348
Depends on your definition. Like for me I'm looking at light offroading. Premade trails and fire roads in this thing.

Should still have lots of adventure.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Depends on your definition. Like for me I'm looking at light offroading. Premade trails and fire roads in this thing.

Should still have lots of adventure.
I second looked at this. With the truck you have, this is best left as a pavement princess.

But they are still ok for a little dirt road discovery.

Reactions: Raul B

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

Gotta love the little fellers. I may go back to one in the future.

A super low-buck hunting rig I bought years ago and didn't have time to use:

1958 VW Beetel (NOT Baja-ed)
4.86:1 r&p
7.50-15 NDT tires
overload 'buggy' spring
e-brake turning brake conversion (known as the 'poor man's posi' back in the day)
Stewart-Warner gas heater in the frunk
sawn-off broom handle gas gauge
Back seat removed and plywood battery cover
front passenger seat removed (yes, you *can* carry a field-dressed mule deer in a Beetle)
Motorola AM tube radio in dash
wood slat roof rack
Krylon rattle-can paint job
canvas desert water bag hanging from the side view mirror
still running 6v electrics
recovery kit consisted of 30 ft of rope, the factory jack, and a piece of 2x6

$500 for 36 horses of screaming fury!

Reactions: Sierrahotel83

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I may have to look at Honda next year:
Bleh. I can't stand all the horrid potato cars that all the manufacturers are pumping out these days. Ugly as sin and boring. No low range either, which is unfortunate. That'll be a huge pass for me - I'd take my old 99 Rd1 CR-V over that blob on wheels any day.