SVO ....Small Vehicle Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Explore Maine

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Hartland Maine
Member #

So cargo room. What do you guys do to help increase the space you have available? Or maybe decrease the space needed? As Overlanders in smaller vehicles space is at an absolute premium. Especially when you travel with wife and 2 kids, like I do. So far I have put on a roof rack, which helps a lot, but kills my mpg if to much is put up there. We have also moved to bed rolls instead of sleeping bags. These squished into a space saver bag helps more than you think. So... let the ideas flow!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Luis Merlo

CagedLife

Rank 0

Traveler I

India
The Gel Deep Cycle battery was a gift...so it's a keeper...looking at getting a DC to DC charger first, so I arrive at camp with close to full charge as possible, then... when stationary, I want to hook up solar to trickle charge, that is the plan anyway mate !
Did you get a chance to work this out and hook up solar?

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to my Overlanding platform, but I absolutely love reading this thread. So cool to see how so many of you can successfully and happily overland in these smaller vehicles. So much ingenuity, space management, innovation, and even sacrifice goes into making these tiny platforms work and 99% of the time at the same level as a lot of these larger vehicles. Kudos to everyone in this thread and keep the posts coming as some of us full size guys secretly love this thread.

CagedLife

Rank 0

Traveler I

India
Ok, I started loading up the car for a weekend camping trip to bring in the new year. Let us see how much I will be able to organise it out over the week. Still pending are the electronics, food and clothes.

The left and right have some "wasted" space which could be utilised for certain things. Any suggestions on that?

Also: Contemplating taking along a fridge, but I'll have to borrow that from a friend to see if it is something I will want for the long run.

When I started and how it looks now.
IMG_20171225_201848-stage1.jpg

Will post the final image when we are finally out on the road. But, a busy week at work coming up.

F-Bobby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Watertown Mass
Member #

Ive loved reading all of these posts. Makes me so happy that I've got my Outback and that my plan to build a Subaru Baja will totally work for your average tracks.
Can I ask you guys a quick question though. How much ground clearance do you guys have on your Small trucks.

Rangervinny

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Thomaston, GA, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Artese
Member #

Ive loved reading all of these posts. Makes me so happy that I've got my Outback and that my plan to build a Subaru Baja will totally work for your average tracks.
Can I ask you guys a quick question though. How much ground clearance do you guys have on your Small trucks.
I have mine at the stock height still but I mostly use my rig for touring and going down service roads

#TRD #Rav4

CagedLife

Rank 0

Traveler I

India
I have 205mm. No additional lift related upgrades (as yet).

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to my Overlanding platform, but I absolutely love reading this thread. So cool to see how so many of you can successfully and happily overland in these smaller vehicles. So much ingenuity, space management, innovation, and even sacrifice goes into making these tiny platforms work and 99% of the time at the same level as a lot of these larger vehicles. Kudos to everyone in this thread and keep the posts coming as some of us full size guys secretly love this thread.
Thanks! I used to have a 2013 Tacoma, and a F150 before that. I am shrinking LOL! Now that I am in a very small 4x4 (Isuzu Vehicross) space management is very important. The smaller size let’s me fit down even tighter trails without worrying quite so much about body damage. I find I can actually get to more places than I ever could in my Tacoma, and way more than the Ford. I would say the only real sacrifice I have made is aftermarket support. Some things just are not available for smaller vehicles, so there is more custom fabrication work to be done, winch mounts being the biggest. After having the Vehicross, If (when) I change vehicles again I will probably get a Jeep. Once you get used to a short wheel base, and how much it improves off-road performance, there really is no goin back to a full size.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Thanks! I used to have a 2013 Tacoma, and a F150 before that. I am shrinking LOL! Now that I am in a very small 4x4 (Isuzu Vehicross) space management is very important. The smaller size let’s me fit down even tighter trails without worrying quite so much about body damage. I find I can actually get to more places than I ever could in my Tacoma, and way more than the Ford. I would say the only real sacrifice I have made is aftermarket support. Some things just are not available for smaller vehicles, so there is more custom fabrication work to be done, winch mounts being the biggest. After having the Vehicross, If (when) I change vehicles again I will probably get a Jeep. Once you get used to a short wheel base, and how much it improves off-road performance, there really is no goin back to a full size.
How do you like the vehicross? I've always liked that vehicle and want one but never could find one when I was in the market. Any tips or gotchas to look out for?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

How do you like the vehicross? I've always liked that vehicle and want one but never could find one when I was in the market. Any tips or gotchas to look out for?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app
There are a couple of gotcha’s. #1 would be the power windows. The doors interior panel is thin, causing the track to not line up with the window track. Takes a bit of work to correct it so you can roll the windows up. #2 would body/trim pieces can be hard to find. You can order them from Japan, but it’s a bit pricey. I spent $75 on a window weather strip for the passenger door. Overall though, it’s an amazing little vehicle. ARB makes suspension for it as well as air lockers. The factory shocks are remote reservoir and are amazing once they are rebuilt (most are worn out after nearly 20 years). Buying mechanical parts is easy and cheap. Various computers can be expensive, but generally don’t go bad. Of course, as with any 29 year old vehicle, you have to watch out for rust.

Don’t buy one unless you know your way around a tool box. Most mechanics have no idea about it and will over charge even though the entire drivetrain is made by GM.

If you are really curious, check out Vehicross dot info. It’s a forum that is loaded with info. There is also a Facebook page for it.

Salvat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

Look into the Jeep Renegade if your interested in Jeeps. The fam and I have used ours quite successfully.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Goldmarble

Rank 0

Traveler I

Guess I will throw in here too...with another Kia!

Course, older, and more...well, rugged.

DSC_4850_zpskohi1s7a (1).JPG

2001 Sportage. 4x4, etc. Only thing I have really done with it so far, was put on 235/70 R15 Grabber AT/2s. I used to live on Vancouver island, and it handled the forestry roads without a problem.

With my move to Edmonton, I decided to get rid of the roof basket, as I am currently living 60km from work, and at 120 kph, it was killing my fuel economy (Also sold the 10' canoe before I left). I have put on a hitch, but have been finding that it digs into the ground pretty easily. Also need to replace...basically all of my gear. Camping chairs are way too bulky, and all my campting equipment is extremely ill-organized or bulky.

I have a lot of plans for things to do for it, such as recovery points, cause....it really doesn't come with any. I would love to replace the bumpers, to have better access to recovery points primarily, but would want them out of aluminum as I feel steel would really weigh it down too much.

For recovery I did get an overkill comealong, the More Power Puller ( https://www.wyeth-scott.com ), but I need more kit for it to be really useful, like....shackles. So much to do, so little money to do it with.

Attachments

Angel Sterling

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Alberta, Canada
Member #

Hey all!
I do believe I belong on this thread.:smilecat:
I have a 2017 Chevy Trax. Its about the same size as a Suby Crosstrek or Jeep Renegade.
I'm still in the works of building and setting up the interior. This is also my daily driver so I have a bit of a challenge with making everything work with day to day driving and overlanding.
Glad to see pics on some ideas!
And I feel like I'm the only Trax out there too!
check my instagram if you wanna see what I have in the works so far @adventure_awd