Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 2003

• HTML tutorial

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

How much noise does that extension ladder roof platform make? I can barely stand driving 20 mins with a ladder on my roof. I filled all my extension ladder rungs with the expandable foam to stop the whistle and noise on the highway.

Trexgbg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sweden
How much noise does that extension ladder roof platform make? I can barely stand driving 20 mins with a ladder on my roof. I filled all my extension ladder rungs with the expandable foam to stop the whistle and noise on the highway.
It is actually not that bad. Off course it is a bit of noise but it is manageable. I tried to make it as compact as possible to avoid turbulence.
The front plate makes quite good wind barrier.
And I keep the back end "open" so it has no "drag".

Sent from my Mi A1 using OB Talk mobile app

Renbuguy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Looking good, Trex! I'm in the market for an SUV to use for my carpentry work and for overlanding trips when not working. I'd probably skip the fridge/stove install but the drawers would be useful for both purposes. How's the cargo capacity of your XL7 compared to a 4runner or pajero? Are you finding space pretty limited?

Kevos

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oslo, Norway
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Roberts
After this I made a roof rack out of two aluminium ladders and some aluminium plates. The roof bars are made for the standrad GV which means that there are a lot of unused space in front of the bars. Therefore I decided to extend the roofrack a bit to maybe use the space above the drivers seat better.
The design is very sturdy and allows for a lot of cargo. (The last picture is before the lift)View attachment 43331 View attachment 43332 View attachment 43333
Trexgbg. Where did you run the led bar cabling ? I was thinking of going to Biltema and getting some Deck connectors from the boat section . For easy removal . Same here in Norway.. need to sell the house to buy Landcruiser. 2004 XL7 just aquired and liking your mods

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Super cool rig. Do you find it annoying having the fridge/freezer up that high? Maybe I missed it, but it seems like you left a very specific notch out in the drawer system, what is that for? Finally, I always want to find out from folks with anex rooms, how often do you find you actually use the anex vs. it's not worth the effort to setup?

-TJ

Trexgbg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sweden
Super cool rig. Do you find it annoying having the fridge/freezer up that high? Maybe I missed it, but it seems like you left a very specific notch out in the drawer system, what is that for? Finally, I always want to find out from folks with anex rooms, how often do you find you actually use the anex vs. it's not worth the effort to setup?

-TJ
Sorry, missed your question!

Thank you, I am happy with it so far, will continue to build in springtime, more has to be done.

Yeah, the height can be a bit troublesome for anyone that is shorter than me, but I am 181cm so it is okay, but if I decide to lift it another 10cm it will be a problem.

I have two annex in the drawer section and the one in the left is covered and accessible from the back seat. In that part I have my towing cable and starter cables. In the left I thoght that it would be hard to access it so I opened it up. I was planning to have a plastic box in that area. In retrospect I would most likely have kept it covered as there is always stuff falling down in that space that is difficult to get up.

Carnut

Rank II

Enthusiast II

The Netherlands
First Name
Frans
Last Name
Nut
Your XL-7 looks great with those chunky tires!

Are you still around on this forum? I own a similar vehicle, and I'd like to ask you a couple of questions :-)

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

-TJ
Sorry, missed your question!

Thank you, I am happy with it so far, will continue to build in springtime, more has to be done.

Yeah, the height can be a bit troublesome for anyone that is shorter than me, but I am 181cm so it is okay, but if I decide to lift it another 10cm it will be a problem.

I have two annex in the drawer section and the one in the left is covered and accessible from the back seat. In that part I have my towing cable and starter cables. In the left I thoght that it would be hard to access it so I opened it up. I was planning to have a plastic box in that area. In retrospect I would most likely have kept it covered as there is always stuff falling down in that space that is difficult to get up.
Sup Trexgbg! Found your post, and like what you’ve done. But here we are 3 years later, what’s the XL7 look like now? Are you still using it?

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Sup Trexgbg! Found your post, and like what you’ve done. But here we are 3 years later, what’s the XL7 look like now? Are you still using it?
From what I understand, Trexgbg was last online April 9th 2020, I don't think that user is coming back online anytime soon (says my gut)

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
From what I understand, Trexgbg was last online April 9th 2020, I don't think that user is coming back online anytime soon (says my gut)
That is indeed a long time since the last log-in. @Bengt N Since Trexgbg is from Sweden, do you know the member and have any idea what might have happened?

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

That is indeed a long time since the last log-in. @Bengt N Since Trexgbg is from Sweden, do you know the member and have any idea what might have happened?
I’m going to look in to it