Member I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Heather
Last Name
McNabb
Member #

Hi,
My name is Heather. I'm located on the Western Slope, in Colorado. I have a '19 Tacoma and my dream is to get my truck built up enough that I can go out for adventure and feel safe and capable while doing so. I have, for far too long, let my fears hold me back. I'm done being afraid, but I don't really know where to start. So I'm hoping that with help from sites and groups like this, as well as some local friends, I can start living my life again.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
The Taco bros will tell you to get a lift and bigger tires and racks and sliders and bumpers and lights and a winch and all kinds of other stuff to be expo-sexual. However, it is plenty capable as is unless you plan to get into serious rock crawling or deep mud. Take it out, air down the tires and have some fun. You'll need some basic recovery equipment and an air compressor. (There is plenty of advice about this you can find with a search.) You probably will want some better A/T tires at some point but it doesn't have to be right away. Add other things as you feel the need based on YOUR experience. Take an off-road driving course, if possible, or find an experienced mentor locally. Good luck!

Soulsearcher

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Heather
Last Name
McNabb
Member #

The Taco bros will tell you to get a lift and bigger tires and racks and sliders and bumpers and lights and a winch and all kinds of other stuff to be expo-sexual. However, it is plenty capable as is unless you plan to get into serious rock crawling or deep mud. Take it out, air down the tires and have some fun. You'll need some basic recovery equipment and an air compressor. (There is plenty of advice about this you can find with a search.) You probably will want some better A/T tires at some point but it doesn't have to be right
The Taco bros will tell you to get a lift and bigger tires and racks and sliders and bumpers and lights and a winch and all kinds of other stuff to be expo-sexual. However, it is plenty capable as is unless you plan to get into serious rock crawling or deep mud. Take it out, air down the tires and have some fun. You'll need some basic recovery equipment and an air compressor. (There is plenty of advice about this you can find with a search.) You probably will want some better A/T tires at some point but it doesn't have to be right away. Add other things as you feel the need based on YOUR experience. Take an off-road driving course, if possible, or find an experienced mentor locally. Good luck!
So far, I have put on an Old Man Emu suspension, got new all terrain tires, installed a CO2 canister in my bed to air up, have an air down guage....technical speak escapes me, so unfortunately I will sound pretty ignorant for a while. The guys over at Barney Brothers Offroad have been SUPER helpful and have always given me great advice. I am planning on experimenting with my truck at a local place called Bangs Canyon, so I can get a good feel for her. I appreciate your tips, thank you! I definitely look forward to being expo-sexual hahaha

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Soulsearcher

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Heather
Last Name
McNabb
Member #

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Looks like you have a very capable truck already. Tires are probably the most important, without traction, lockers/positrac are worthless.
Don't be afraid to air down to 15psi or so, you have the state of the art for airing up. Carry a tire repair kit, maybe a come-a-long and strap.

Reactions: Soulsearcher

Soulsearcher

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Heather
Last Name
McNabb
Member #

Looks like you have a very capable truck already. Tires are probably the most important, without traction, lockers/positrac are worthless.
Don't be afraid to air down to 15psi or so, you have the state of the art for airing up. Carry a tire repair kit, maybe a come-a-long and strap.
Thanks for the tips! I just got in a set of Maxtrax, and repair/medical kits I think will be next on my list of lower cost additions. On my first real off road excursion, I aired down to 15 psi for the first time ever and wow, what a difference it made!

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Heather,

The western slope was my home for 15 years and loved wheeling all over out there. The Bangs Canyon trails are fun but dont go alone... you can get in a bad spot quick out there and the cell service is pretty limited. The Kokopelli Trail leaves right from Fruita and goes all the way to Moab... the Mecca of western wheeling. Moab has HUNDREDS of trails you will absolutely love in a Taco. Grab a friend and go hit Fins and Things... its a great introduction to Moab trails.

Be safe, have fun!

Reactions: Soulsearcher

Soulsearcher

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Heather
Last Name
McNabb
Member #

Heather,

The western slope was my home for 15 years and loved wheeling all over out there. The Bangs Canyon trails are fun but dont go alone... you can get in a bad spot quick out there and the cell service is pretty limited. The Kokopelli Trail leaves right from Fruita and goes all the way to Moab... the Mecca of western wheeling. Moab has HUNDREDS of trails you will absolutely love in a Taco. Grab a friend and go hit Fins and Things... its a great introduction to Moab trails.

Be safe, have fun!
Thank you so much for your advice! :D