Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

Hey all, I'm looking for any leads on dispersed camping near Ouray/Telluride area. We are looking to do the 5 badge of honor trails in the area. I'm trying to find a large enough dispersed camping spot 6-8 vehicles with 4-5 trailers. We'd like to find something kind of centrally located so we don't have to break amd move camp between the runs. I've been in the area a few times but never with a group this large. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Ironton would be my first suggestion. You should be able to find it on a map without any problem.

Reactions: JPM78130

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hey all, I'm looking for any leads on dispersed camping near Ouray/Telluride area. We are looking to do the 5 badge of honor trails in the area. I'm trying to find a large enough dispersed camping spot 6-8 vehicles with 4-5 trailers. We'd like to find something kind of centrally located so we don't have to break amd move camp between the runs. I've been in the area a few times but never with a group this large. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Are all these trailers built for off-road? Are you all coming from TX?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Since you're coming from TX, please allow me to make a suggestion.

Instead of just driving the pavement around to Ouray, etc, consider the following:

Drive to Creede, CO and just past there jump onto the Stony Pass Trail. This will take you into the mountains between Silverton and Animas Forks ghost town. Plan to camp on this trail one night on the east side of the pass. This is one of the better overlanding routes in my opinion because it's pretty long, is actually an access to/from the mountains, and has plenty of camping. It's not a badge trail, but it's one of my favorites. It gets overlooked, IMO, because it doesn't fit into any touristy loop. It's not at all hard, but it does have rocky sections that just require you to go slow. There is one creek crossing that can be deep if you go early in the season, etc.

Reactions: USStrongman

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

Since you're coming from TX, please allow me to make a suggestion.

Instead of just driving the pavement around to Ouray, etc, consider the following:

Drive to Creede, CO and just past there jump onto the Stony Pass Trail. This will take you into the mountains between Silverton and Animas Forks ghost town. Plan to camp on this trail one night on the east side of the pass. This is one of the better overlanding routes in my opinion because it's pretty long, is actually an access to/from the mountains, and has plenty of camping. It's not a badge trail, but it's one of my favorites. It gets overlooked, IMO, because it doesn't fit into any touristy loop. It's not at all hard, but it does have rocky sections that just require you to go slow. There is one creek crossing that can be deep if you go early in the season, etc.

I camp on Stony a couple times a year near Pole Creek and the Rio Grande and out near Bear Town and Kite Lake. I wasn't sure about pulling trailers around the switchbacks west of Pole Creek and on the west side of the pass. I'd love to get the trailers around Bear Town but wasn't sure about the Silverton side of the pass.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I camp on Stony a couple times a year near Pole Creek and the Rio Grande and out near Bear Town and Kite Lake. I wasn't sure about pulling trailers around the switchbacks west of Pole Creek and on the west side of the pass. I'd love to get the trailers around Bear Town but wasn't sure about the Silverton side of the pass.
Ha. Sounds like you know the road better than I do

I've pulled a trailer across it but it was a very short military one. I didn't have any problem with switchbacks. It doesn't have much suspension and I did get tired of it clunking around behind me.

Will you be creating a Rally Point or is it as big as you want it already?

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

Ha. Sounds like you know the road better than I do

I've pulled a trailer across it but it was a very short military one. I didn't have any problem with switchbacks. It doesn't have much suspension and I did get tired of it clunking around behind me.

Will you be creating a Rally Point or is it as big as you want it already?
I was also kind of dreading pulling trailers of the stony part of stony pass. I nearly bounced my dog out of the window one year. I hadn't thought about a Rally Point, but I likely will once we a timeframe more narrowed down.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
We've also base camped up Corkscrew Gulch a ways at: 37.92337959635474, -107.67537984202217.

It's more private, but a bit of a 'commute' back down to the highway.

Reactions: JPM78130

freedomomelet

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Nebraska
Launch Member

Influencer I

Springfield, NE
Member #

We've also base camped up Corkscrew Gulch a ways at: 37.92337959635474, -107.67537984202217.

It's more private, but a bit of a 'commute' back down to the highway.
I'll second that one. Good one before the mineral creek staging area by here 37.937412, -107.669005 which I've stayed at twice now since going to this area. Great spots.