RoamWithJon

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
R
Can anyone recommend some easy trails in the Central Valley/ Bay Area, for maybe an all day trip or a quick overnight? Just started off off-roading/softroading/overlanding with a couple buds, kinda just want to get out of the house but don’t really know where to begin. Pretty much only been out on small trails and mud pits so far. Thanks in advanced!

Reactions: Narbob

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Can anyone recommend some easy trails in the Central Valley/ Bay Area, for maybe an all day trip or a quick overnight? Just started off off-roading/softroading/overlanding with a couple buds, kinda just want to get out of the house but don’t really know where to begin. Pretty much only been out on small trails and mud pits so far. Thanks in advanced!
I’m going to tag @PapaDave , a
Member Representative, Who might be able to assist you.

Reactions: RoamWithJon

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'd be interested to hear as well. Most of the trails I know in our area are a bit more challenging. I have some buddies that want to Overland with us, but are in less capable rigs (stock pickups, even a big transit van).

If you're willing to drive a bit one that is pretty easy and super cool in our area is the road between The Little Town of Washington, CA and Bowman Lake. You could make it a multi-night deal and spend one night at River Rest Resort (they have tent sites, and have very clean/nice bathrooms/showers) in Washington and check out the awesome old Hotel/Bar (just don't mess with the locals... and I don't necessarily recommend being at the bar after midnight, I have some good stories, lol). Then the next morning drive up to Bowman and spend a night out there. Then head out from Bowman (you can take the short way back out to 20 then 80).

^^this is basically all dirt, but well maintained "soft roading" after the first good thaw... but it's under snow right now, I have friends that tried to get out there with RZRs running 33-35" tires last weekend and couldn't

-TJ

RoamWithJon

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
R
I'd be interested to hear as well. Most of the trails I know in our area are a bit more challenging. I have some buddies that want to Overland with us, but are in less capable rigs (stock pickups, even a big transit van).

If you're willing to drive a bit one that is pretty easy and super cool in our area is the road between The Little Town of Washington, CA and Bowman Lake. You could make it a multi-night deal and spend one night at River Rest Resort (they have tent sites, and have very clean/nice bathrooms/showers) in Washington and check out the awesome old Hotel/Bar (just don't mess with the locals... and I don't necessarily recommend being at the bar after midnight, I have some good stories, lol). Then the next morning drive up to Bowman and spend a night out there. Then head out from Bowman (you can take the short way back out to 20 then 80).

^^this is basically all dirt, but well maintained "soft roading" after the first good thaw... but it's under snow right now, I have friends that tried to get out there with RZRs running 33-35" tires last weekend and couldn't

-TJ
Definitely gonna look into this, appreciate it!

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Copperopolis and Serpentine Loop- Day trip with a great BBQ lunch
La Grange Rd and Red Hill Rd has a short off road loop there called Serpentine Loop. It’s easy but a fun little road to explore. It’s not far from Griff’s BBQ in Copperopolis which has an AMAZING Tri-tip sandwich.

Bourland Trestle in Stanislaus National Forest- overnight trip
It‘s mainly forest roads that gets you up to where the old train trestle was, it fell down in the 80’s. You can camp right at the edge for the night

1581051435165.jpeg

RoamWithJon

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
R
La Grange Rd and Red Hill Rd has a short off road loop there called Serpentine Loop. It’s easy but a fun little road to explore. It’s not far from Griff’s BBQ in Copperopolis which has an AMAZING Tri-tip sandwich.

It‘s mainly forest roads that gets you up to where the old train trestle was, it fell down in the 80’s. You can camp right at the edge for the night

View attachment 138872
That’s awesome, appreciate the info

RoamWithJon

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
R

View attachment 138872
Went out and took the serpentine loop trail, pretty fun

Reactions: PapaDave

RoamWithJon

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
R
Great shots, Jon! My brother has an '18 Crosstrek so I'll send this his way. Looks like a fun trail to try.
Nice! The trail definitely had some "I don't know if i can do that" portions and some spots where it seemed like I would bottom out but the Trek did pretty well lol. Had a took it real slow most of the time, the park ranger lapped me twice haha

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Great shots, Jon! My brother has an '18 Crosstrek so I'll send this his way. Looks like a fun trail to try.
Looks like we're neighbors, I'm up in Lincoln!

RoamWithJon - looks like that was a great trail to cut your teeth on and figure out what the 'trek can do.

-TJ

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Serpentine Loop

Yeah it’s a fun little trail, it really is short and pretty easy. But the drive to Griffs BBQ after or before makes it worth it :)

This is a view from the top, my fiancée and I are kinda in the way...93B68B43-9854-431B-BAB9-D18E2B4639A7.jpeg

Red Hill Ranch is where Back to the Future III was filmed years ago, almost right there

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Oh definitely it’s a lot more capable than I thought, probably would benefit a lot with a lift and some under armor
Skid plates are worth their weight in gold. It doesn't matter how big and bad your rig is, eventually you'll find that obstacle that requires some belly-dragging, having good armor so you can do it with confidence (and not break or get hung-up) is key.

-TJ

Reactions: PapaDave