Subaru Owners Registry

• HTML tutorial

Natepj13

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hi all,

Nate here from Denver, CO. I have a 2017 Forester XT. I have taken this thing into places I probably shouldn't, gotten funny looks from everyone around, and it did just fine! A couple of pics from some of the camping trips we have done. One is at Webster Pass outside Keystone, CO, and the other is from Argentine Pass, outside Georgetown, CO. Hope to meet some of you someday!IMG_2116.JPG MueC711DSGe0xpOVD7gDyA.jpg

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Welcome again @Natepj13! That’s a good looking Forester and we’re all looking forward to to seeing more of your adventures with it. There’s a bunch of us here who enjoy pushing the limits and opening others eyes to the capabilities of our Subaru’s.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
you really don't need welding skills that's what Grinders and textured paint is for ;)
I've never welded at all. Would be afraid of bad connections and failures where the tow/winching points are. No place for a failure at hose points.

ca_rage

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area
Hi everyone!
I'm starting on my 2018 build. Roof basket installed and picked up a Wilco tire carrier used. ADF 2" lift kit is on the way and Motogei wheels with KO2s ordered.
Working on a sleeping platform for an upcoming hot springs tour after Christmas.
I am totally inspired by the work that you all have done. It keeps me busy at work when I should be doing other things :)
I have a few of questions for you all:
1. Is anyone doing 5 wheel rotations? How do you deal with the tire pressure sensors?
2. Does anyone switch back and forth between sets of wheels/tires? Sensors?
3. Has anyone put in a toggle switch at the rear door so you can leave it open without lights? Seems this would be handy.
4. Anyone have pictures and dimensions for a good jack extension to make it easier to lift the car if needed?
Thanks!

Attachments

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Welcome to the slippery slope that is modding your Outback @ca_rage! Looks like you’re already well on your way.

There’s no easy way to do 5 tire rotations or go between sets of wheels. The TPMS system doesn’t care where they are on the car but it can only store 4 unique sensors. So every 5 tire rotation you will unfortunately need to reprogram the system.

No toggle on the rear hatch here. I don’t like to leave it open long but that’s a good idea for those of you who do.

I’m not a fan of jack extensions. Off road I still don’t think the stock jack will reach and that’s only made worse when you remove the rear sway bar. I opted to build a new jack that can lift much higher, utilize a high lift base on soft surfaces, can jack safely from the pinch welds or any other jacking point, and lifts via a socket/ratchet I already carry in the car.

Good luck with your car and feel free to reach out if you ever have any questions!

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
That’s a very cool picture @Rob Kruithof!

Christmas tree pictures... Anybody have to go a little further into the bush or brave some snow this year? Record rain has turned Pennsyltucky into a mud pit so driving out to the remote fields was not for the faint of heart. Instantly reminded me of Expo this year haha.

6CBE26C0-B687-4575-9906-FF93B99755DB.jpeg

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Hi everyone!
I'm starting on my 2018 build. Roof basket installed and picked up a Wilco tire carrier used. ADF 2" lift kit is on the way and Motogei wheels with KO2s ordered.
Working on a sleeping platform for an upcoming hot springs tour after Christmas.
I am totally inspired by the work that you all have done. It keeps me busy at work when I should be doing other things :)
I have a few of questions for you all:
1. Is anyone doing 5 wheel rotations? How do you deal with the tire pressure sensors?
2. Does anyone switch back and forth between sets of wheels/tires? Sensors?
3. Has anyone put in a toggle switch at the rear door so you can leave it open without lights? Seems this would be handy.
4. Anyone have pictures and dimensions for a good jack extension to make it easier to lift the car if needed?
Thanks!

ADF makes a jack extension I’m pretty sure

Kaiser

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

CT
ADF makes a jack extension I’m pretty sure
LPA does as well, btw.

Also, hi all! I've been the happy owner of a 2016 Outback 3.6R for nearly 3 years, and I haven't stopped fiddling with it since the day I bought it (just like I did with the many turbo Subies that predated it). 2" lift, skids, Knucklebone spare carrier, etc -- all the usual stuff. :grinning: I really appreciate all of the information that you fellow Subaru owners have posted.

IMG_20180618_110224.jpg IMG_20180730_113333.jpg

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Also, hi all! I've been the happy owner of a 2016 Outback 3.6R for nearly 3 years, and I haven't stopped fiddling with it since the day I bought it (just like I did with the many turbo Subies that predated it). 2" lift, skids, Knucklebone spare carrier, etc -- all the usual stuff. :grinning: I really appreciate all of the information that you fellow Subaru owners have posted.
Welcome and nice setup! I have to admit I've always been intrigued by that trailer. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions should you ever have them.

Kaiser

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

CT
Welcome and nice setup! I have to admit I've always been intrigued by that trailer. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions should you ever have them.
Thanks man! An unexpected rotator cuff tear has prevented me from installing Chris Kraynack's transmission mount insert for a little while, but when I can finally do it I may ask you about your bottle jack method. I've been wondering if my floor jack will do the trick too if I can figure out a way to concentrate its lifting force on just that center bolt.

And yeah, we love our Go camper trailer! After many years of ground camping, we wanted to try something a little bigger and better, but not go full RV or hard trailer. Those felt like being at home rather than being outside.

IMG_20180618_060416.jpg

And not only is it good for all the camping we do, but it makes for a great utility trailer (I can finally rent things like brush mowers and easily transport them to and from my house).

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks man! An unexpected rotator cuff tear has prevented me from installing Chris Kraynack's transmission mount insert for a little while, but when I can finally do it I may ask you about your bottle jack method. I've been wondering if my floor jack will do the trick too if I can figure out a way to concentrate its lifting force on just that center bolt.
No problem! Sorry to hear about your shoulder. A bottle jack works really well mainly because of the fact that it lifts straight up and it’s small profile is a bonus but even the cars scissor jack can work. Let me know when you’re ready and I’ll give you the details.

Reactions: Kaiser