Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
If members have seen my build thread for my 2014 Outback, one would know that I am no stranger to owning an Outback. I just purchased a 2024 Outback Wilderness (my 3rd Outback), which in most cases would be familiar to my 2014 Outback except for a few things...the new engine, even though I have owned a 2020 Legacy XT for four years. The new transmission with advanced dual x-mode would be new to me. My Overlanding 2014 Outback never had x-mode. For right now, I am just in the breaking-in period and doing accessories, but no mods yet. Hopefully, it will treat me well.

20240430_202211.jpg

Ebrinker

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Purcellville, Loudoun County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Brinkman
Member #

If members have seen my build thread for my 2014 Outback, one would know that I am no stranger to owning an Outback. I just purchased a 2024 Outback Wilderness (my 3rd Outback), which in most cases would be familiar to my 2014 Outback except for a few things...the new engine, even though I have owned a 2020 Legacy XT for four years. The new transmission with advanced dual x-mode would be new to me. My Overlanding 2014 Outback never had x-mode. For right now, I am just in the breaking-in period and doing accessories, but no mods yet. Hopefully, it will treat me well.

View attachment 278492
Looking good! I just got one last weekend in the same color! It’s a great vehicle and my 3rd Subaru. Loving it so far.

• Love
Reactions: Cascadia

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Looking good! I just got one last weekend in the same color! It’s a great vehicle and my 3rd Subaru. Loving it so far.
Congrats! Mine is my 6th Subaru and 3rd Outback. I have been enjoying it so far. I do miss my 4th gen Outback at times though.

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
always nice to see more subaru people on here.
This is my 2nd Subaru that I take overlanding/offroad on a regular basis when my schedule allows me to. However, I am still in a learning phase with this one. My 2014 was one that I adored and knew its limits.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I've been looking at Forester Sports, then my eye wandered towards the Forester Wilderness when it came out. My nephew just bought one, built a platform in the back and took off out west.

Maybe next year, for me. But for me it would be the Forester

Reactions: Cascadia

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
20+ yr owner of Subarus here. It always got me across the Cascade mountain passes and to every backpacking trailhead in WA I set my sights on. It even got me where I probably should not have taken it in the Owyhees and other rougher tracks.

I do not intend to disparage Subarus, but please know that a true 4x4 truck will operate at 20% of its strength and capacity while the Outback is stressing itself at 90% of its capability, both in clearance, strength of components, GVWR, all that. That's why I got a Ford Ranger, honestly, as my road tripping become more about where my old Subarus could not go with extreme risk. No Subaru lift gets you near a stock truck clearance. Mine, packed with camp gear, including gear stuffed in a Yakima box up top, felt very laden. Going up the steeps in that pushed it to the max. I was 'this close' to getting full skid plates and a lift, but came to my senses that you quickly hit diminishing returns with Subaru mods. Sorta broke my heart but I got over that real quick. So, have fun but be realistic. For trailhead access and forest road fun, they are awesome. When you need 4-Low, they are not.

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
I am not disregarding the information presented in your post which contains good information for people. I have owned Subarus since 1999. This is my third Outback and sixth Subaru. I know Subaru's capabilities and limitations, and I have not taken this one or my previous one on hard-core trails. They have been on forest roads and very mild trails. My previous one never felt very stressed on trails that I took it on. If I do not think my car can handle a specific trail, I do not do it. This Outback has 9.5" of ground clearance from the factory, which helps to an extent.

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Comments like those go in one ear and out the other. The so called "hardcore" rigs break and can't do things either. I use the example of......

Subaru crosstrek does hells revenge hot tub in Moab Utah - YouTube

and

Jeep Gladiator Spectacularly Loses Wheel At Devil’s Hot Tub - YouTube

Goes to show that Subaru are way more capable than people give them credit for, and.....the hardcore rigs are not as capable as people give them credit for.

Oh, the spectacular wheel removal is the front axle breaking off at the Knuckle and you can see the broken housing and shaft.

Last edited: