Subaru Forester Overland

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
JohnMarc
Last Name
Edwards
Anybody running a forester? I’m looking at ditching my 92 Xj and 02 Sierra 1500 z71 and looking at a vehicle better suited for my family, music gear, and soft trekking. Would love to see peoples set ups if you’ve got one!

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

GrumpyRam

Rank V

Inventor I

Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
Check the Overland Rigs/ Small rigs forums. ive seen a couple Subie builds in there.

Reactions: OverlandingOkie

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I'm a big fan of the Foresters and was considering one instead of the 4Runner. Look into LPAdventure. Most dealers already stock some Foresters and Outbacks with their lift kits installed.
I think of them like AEV is to Jeep and Roush is to Ford.

As long as you don't mind a CVT, the Subaru is a good option.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Are there other competitors in the same category with a traditional automatic?

-TJ

Enthusiast I

Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
JohnMarc
Last Name
Edwards
Are there other competitors in the same category with a traditional automatic?

-TJ
I haven't looked at anything new. Im only gonna be looking new around $15k.. so I imagine most of what I am looking for will be traditional as it will be a little older.. I'm not sure when they switched to CVT

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I haven't looked at anything new. Im only gonna be looking new around $15k.. so I imagine most of what I am looking for will be traditional as it will be a little older.. I'm not sure when they switched to CVT

It looks like 2012 and up are CVT...

-TJ

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

While I'm old school and I'll high five everyone on this, I've not heard anyone with issues with the CVT....
I think you can still buy Subarus with clutches.
Agreed, if the OP is interested in an actual stick shift then that solves that whole problem. As for the CVTs themselves, it seems like lots of YouTubers and stuff have issues with them - but I have never wheeled with one, or any Subi for that matter so I have no first-hand experience.

-TJ

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

My wife is getting due to replace the 2015 Patriot and has always liked the concept of an Outback.

I did some digging and there are literally THOUSANDS of complaints from owners about those damned CVT's. They poop out too soon and are VERY expensive to repair.

I hate going against her when she likes a vehicle, but I found so many complaints I simply had to bring it to her attention. After she read for awhile she changed her mind.

Other than that, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I would spend some time with Google before buying a CVT.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

My wife is getting due to replace the 2015 Patriot and has always liked the concept of an Outback.

I did some digging and there are literally THOUSANDS of complaints from owners about those damned CVT's. They poop out too soon and are VERY expensive to repair.

I hate going against her when she likes a vehicle, but I found so many complaints I simply had to bring it to her attention. After she read for awhile she changed her mind.

Other than that, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I would spend some time with Google before buying a CVT.
Does she drive standard? Older ones (not TOO old) still have some manual trans

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

My mom had a '99 Forester S when I was in high school. I had a CJ7 at the time and would four wheel it pretty regularly. I took her Forester out on the trails as a joke one day and couldn't believe how well it did. Ground clearance was the only thing that held it back.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
The new Honda Passport is the king of the hill with AWD and has a REAL transmission, but will blow your budget. BUT... the 2nd gen Pilot came in either AWD or 4WD. They were very capable and Honda reliability will far exceed a CVT equipped Subaru. They are pre 2010 model years priced in the 7K to 12K price range. Look for a Touring Edition 4x4 as they come with all the doobers.

Reactions: Murphy Slaw

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Looks like the last year where manual trans was available for the Forester may have be 2017.

Im.looking for a 12 or 13 Manual. And some content on here