Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

What’s the best way to store eggs?

My wife has suggested pre-cracking them into a sealable container then just “pour” the eggs as needed. Seems like it could lead to being a mess. Any ideas would be helpful.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

as of what while in route? or at camp?
My buddy cracks his dozen eggs into a plastic orange juice bottle, which he keeps in his 12v refrigerator. No mess. It's designed for pouring liquid out of.

Personally, I use one of the yellow plastic containers. http://amzn.to/2DO4pzH

we use the exact same holder too.

Reactions: rockymntjeeper

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I've used the plastic egg container before but the little plastic tabs cracked the store bought eggs. I don't pay more for pigeon eggs so it could have been that the eggs were too large. The last trip I put half a dozen into the foam egg store container then put that in a plastic container with a sealing lid. It was big enough that the valley in the egg carton also held a stick of butter and small bags of cheese around that.

I like the bottle of egg more though and will try that next time.

Being minimalistic travelers, we've limited the amount of items in the jeep at any given time. Searching our offline travel mapping system for stores along our route. Just before reaching our destination, We would purchase a few small items/perishables, place in a small cooler, then processed to the camp site etc.

Take in only what you need & leave with less than you've entered with.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

If you stay out any length of time, you're approach is certainly the only way to go. We usually go out for a week or less, so we can bring our favorites. We always pack a little extra though. You might run into someone who doesn't have enough or you might decide to stay out a little longer.

Reactions: Winterpeg

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

My buddy cracks his dozen eggs into a plastic orange juice bottle, which he keeps in his 12v refrigerator. No mess. It's designed for pouring liquid out of.

Personally, I use one of the yellow plastic containers. http://amzn.to/2DO4pzH

That’s what I use. For some added padding I place a folded paper towel on top of the eggs.

Last edited:

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

This is hard for people now days to do, but if you can buy farm fresh eggs that have not been refrigeratored, they will keep for a week easily. Once eggs are put in the refrigerator, the spoil faster, if not kept cold. I also use the plastic egg holders. Benz.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I usually just take hard boiled eggs for breakfast but when I have time I like the water bottle method its quick and easy for me to make Breakfast burrito's.

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Thanks for all the responses! I think I will give the cracked eggs in a bottle idea a try and see how it works out. Thanks again!

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
We figure 2-3 eggs person per meal, then crack that many into the appropriate sized ziplock bag, and then put that bag into another ziplock bag for safety. Its easy, nothing to wash, the bags take no space when thrown away into your "pack out " sack.

Reactions: jwsparlin2

whistlepunk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bend, Oregon, USA
First Name
DAVID
Last Name
LAVINSKI
Member #

We have used the yellow eg holders both with store bought and farm fresh eggs that do not require refrigeration as well as the pre-scramble and put in a bottle. most of the time we decide to go with the bottle of eggs as it seems to work better storage wise. If i am planning a recipe on a trip that needs a specific number of eggs then i will take a few in the yellow cases.