Stop Screwing around with your swing out carrier latch!

• HTML tutorial

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

Saw a couple of IG posts concerning a broken swing away tire latch and the field fix. I would like to recommend to anyone building or repairing one of these to STOP screwing around with the De-Sta-Co latches and drop a hundred dollar bill on this one -
75134957 - this should be a link to the MSCDirect site, for the Gibraltar 7500 lb locking latch, not sure if this link will work.
Here is a picture of it on my truck, lower left hand corner, in case it's not obvious. Homemade bumper, in case it's not obvious.
Seriously though, hearing some stories of these swing aways opening on a lane change or whatever is pretty scary stuff.
This is a chunk of what looks to me to be cast steel, and a solid u bolt with a robust locking mechanism.
IMG_1536.JPG

Tacomaboatguy

Rank 0

Contributor I

That bumper looks pretty good for a home grown. I definitely like the looks of that latch over the small ones that come on all the pre built bumpers with a swing away. Your wheels look pretty unique, are they really a chain pattern?

Reactions: Ditcherman

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

That bumper looks pretty good for a home grown. I definitely like the looks of that latch over the small ones that come on all the pre built bumpers with a swing away. Your wheels look pretty unique, are they really a chain pattern?
Thanks on the bumper. It was a labor of love for sure. Lots of cardboard patterns sacrificed along the way.
The wheels are Moto Metal 977, and yes they are a chain pattern. Just kind of fit me, some people see them and see bicycle chain, I see bulldozer track.