• HTML tutorial

TacticalBBQ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fremont CA
Member #

Hi Everyone

I am a new member and pretty new to the overland thing. I have offroad experience though. Got some questions for all of you

I want to take a weekend trip to Bald Mountain. I have never been there. where do you guys camp when there and how far is it from the trailhead?

Please fill me with your knowledge!

Thanks
Chris

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Probably buried in snow right now. If you check out the other forum folder involving routes, Michael posted a thread documenting the trail. That's step one. I've never been, so count me in for a trip.

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Are you referring Bald Mtn. near Shaver Lake? There's a bunch of NF all around the trailhead, and multiple other trails in the area. You could even camp up on top of Bald under the old fire lookout. But yea, with the recent snow dump I would not count on being able to get up there for awhile...

TacticalBBQ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fremont CA
Member #

Probably buried in snow right now. If you check out the other forum folder involving routes, Michael posted a thread documenting the trail. That's step one. I've never been, so count me in for a trip.
Yeah I was thinking a trip in late March or April. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

TacticalBBQ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fremont CA
Member #

Are you referring Bald Mtn. near Shaver Lake? There's a bunch of NF all around the trailhead, and multiple other trails in the area. You could even camp up on top of Bald under the old fire lookout. But yea, with the recent snow dump I would not count on being able to get up there for awhile...
Correct. I have never been there and would like to check it out. Well after the weather gets better lol

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

If you want a campground, Dinkey Creek is right nearby and there areshowers and a store just outside it. Otherwise, dispersed camping is available all around the trailhead. Make sure you know which trail you are taking since there are two routes up Bald Mountain. One is really easy from the Shaver Lake side. The other is a moderate trail that leaves from near Dinkey Creek.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: BCBrian

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I live in Fresno County. Bald Mt area just got hammered with snow. The trail will probably not open till May/June now.

There is ample campgrounds near Bald, Dinkey Creek, Camp Edison, and some other smaller designated sites. I would warn though the campgrounds are often packed with party'ers, asshats, and newby campers. I dodge them like Pop Country Music these days.

There is ample SNF/BLM all around Bald. Lots of dry boondock camping....which is my favorite. There is camping off Dinkey Creek road, Rock Creek Road and to the North off Tamarack Road. That's my kind of camping. Also....some actually just camp on Bald Mountain!

TacticalBBQ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fremont CA
Member #

I live in Fresno County. Bald Mt area just got hammered with snow. The trail will probably not open till May/June now.

There is ample campgrounds near Bald, Dinkey Creek, Camp Edison, and some other smaller designated sites. I would warn though the campgrounds are often packed with party'ers, asshats, and newby campers. I dodge them like Pop Country Music these days.

There is ample SNF/BLM all around Bald. Lots of dry boondock camping....which is my favorite. There is camping off Dinkey Creek road, Rock Creek Road and to the North off Tamarack Road. That's my kind of camping. Also....some actually just camp on Bald Mountain!
Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: ArmyofMike

JUNGLEGHOST

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

fresno ca.
Member #

Im from Fresno also i too am looking for camping area without party peeps near. Just good whole some 4x4 travellers who enjoy natural setting.

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

Bald mountain is a nice place. We went there a couple of years ago, so def would like to get back there. Dispersed camping for sure, but check this out. When we were there, we were chatting with the Forrest service guys, the one with the huge power wagon (I think). I asked if we could sleep in the lookout tower. He says he’s never been asked before, but if nobody’s there, you can!

TacticalBBQ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fremont CA
Member #

Bald mountain is a nice place. We went there a couple of years ago, so def would like to get back there. Dispersed camping for sure, but check this out. When we were there, we were chatting with the Forrest service guys, the one with the huge power wagon (I think). I asked if we could sleep in the lookout tower. He says he’s never been asked before, but if nobody’s there, you can!
That would be cool! But I would bet it gets windy up there lol

TacticalBBQ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fremont CA
Member #

I did a quick trip to Bald mountain this Sunday to check it out. I didn't venture too far because I was alone. But its open, not a whole lot of snow. I am thinking on doing an overnighter in couple weeks.

Reactions: Norcal Overlanders

Norcal Overlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sacramento, CA, USA
Member #

I did a quick trip to Bald mountain this Sunday to check it out. I didn't venture too far because I was alone. But its open, not a whole lot of snow. I am thinking on doing an overnighter in couple weeks.
I found a great spot to camp there right at the bypass on the climb to the first peak. It ends up being in a valley spot which is good for windy nights. Anywhere near the peak it's windy
When you get to bypass make a right and right before the climb on the rock wall look to right you will see a flat area surrounded by trees

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app