Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Hey, all. It’s been so long since I’ve been active on this site I figured I might as well start from the beginning. The last time I was here I was slowly outfitting a Ford Explorer, but unfortunately it was totaled during a snow storm and I found myself in need of another vehicle. With a baby due any day we needed something right now and we ended up with a Chevy Traverse. With only FWD and zero aftermarket I wasn’t doing anything with that, and with the baby expenses and other stuff to deal with I wasn’t going to have the funds to buy another suitable vehicle to outfit, either. Fast forward four years, one pandemic, two job promotions, and a second kid later, I had racked up a ton of miles on the Traverse and I wanted to move on to something else.

That something else ended up being a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4WD. I know, this isn’t the amazing Frontier-based R51 or even the R50. This is an R52, which shares the same platform as the Maxima, Altima, and Murano. It’s basically a station wagon. But I actually like it, like, a lot. Certainly a lot more than I ever expected. It’s got plenty of power, gets great gas mileage, it’s quiet and comfortable, and the VQ35 has been around for so long Nissan pretty much has that engine dialed. The weak point is the CVT but I got a drivetrain warranty for the life of the loan so I’m not too worried. Plus I used to turn wrenches at Nissan and my brother in law still does, so between the two of us if anything breaks we can fix it.

So what’s the plan? Well given that the R52 is a glorified station wagon, it’ll never be a true off roader no matter what, but I’m ok with that. I feel like it can make for a respectable soft roader that should be plenty capable of tackling light trails, forest service roads, etc. We’re in Iowa so we have the TWAT to the northeast, the Badlands and the Black Hills to the northwest, and Mark Twain and Ouichita National Forests to the south. Those are pretty much the places we plan to visit over the next few years, and I think the plans I have for the Pathfinder will get us there just fine.

Attachments

307dulaney

Rank VI

Advocate III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Dulaney
Member #

Hey, all. It’s been so long since I’ve been active on this site I figured I might as well start from the beginning. The last time I was here I was slowly outfitting a Ford Explorer, but unfortunately it was totaled during a snow storm and I found myself in need of another vehicle. With a baby due any day we needed something right now and we ended up with a Chevy Traverse. With only FWD and zero aftermarket I wasn’t doing anything with that, and with the baby expenses and other stuff to deal with I wasn’t going to have the funds to buy another suitable vehicle to outfit, either. Fast forward four years, one pandemic, two job promotions, and a second kid later, I had racked up a ton of miles on the Traverse and I wanted to move on to something else.

That something else ended up being a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4WD. I know, this isn’t the amazing Frontier-based R51 or even the R50. This is an R52, which shares the same platform as the Maxima, Altima, and Murano. It’s basically a station wagon. But I actually like it, like, a lot. Certainly a lot more than I ever expected. It’s got plenty of power, gets great gas mileage, it’s quiet and comfortable, and the VQ35 has been around for so long Nissan pretty much has that engine dialed. The weak point is the CVT but I got a drivetrain warranty for the life of the loan so I’m not too worried. Plus I used to turn wrenches at Nissan and my brother in law still does, so between the two of us if anything breaks we can fix it.

So what’s the plan? Well given that the R52 is a glorified station wagon, it’ll never be a true off roader no matter what, but I’m ok with that. I feel like it can make for a respectable soft roader that should be plenty capable of tackling light trails, forest service roads, etc. We’re in Iowa so we have the TWAT to the northeast, the Badlands and the Black Hills to the northwest, and Mark Twain and Ouichita National Forests to the south. Those are pretty much the places we plan to visit over the next few years, and I think the plans I have for the Pathfinder will get us there just fine.
I think that’s great. There’s a lot to be said for comfort and reliability. Especially with little ones. You’re right there are plenty of places that rig CAN go! We were camped on what we thought was a high clearance trail recently and as we were setting up a Chrysler Town and Country rolled past us. So yeah good for you guys! Get out there!

Reactions: Fatsquatch

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army

We all do with what we have and what we are dealt with. Family has got to come first by all means. Yea your vehicle may not be a rock crawler but honestly how much did you use your Explorer for rock crawling. The Pathfinder is still a great platform for bouncing around on the back roads. Now you have the fun of setting up your Pathfinder for going off road. Either way Welcome back to the overland family.

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
We all do with what we have and what we are dealt with. Family has got to come first by all means. Yea your vehicle may not be a rock crawler but honestly how much did you use your Explorer for rock crawling. The Pathfinder is still a great platform for bouncing around on the back roads. Now you have the fun of setting up your Pathfinder for going off road. Either way Welcome back to the overland family.
It’s good to be back and I’m looking forward to getting out and exploring again. I’m honestly more excited to get my boys out there. Our oldest is four now and he just loves nature and being outdoors.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Welcome back to Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Joe Hunt
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out the Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Welcome to the Overland Bound community. Glad to have you join us.

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army

Great story, we all hit reset once and a while. Go slow, but most importantly, get out! Quick kill day trips, weekends, see what works and what doesn't. Stay the course and remember, this is your build, your adventure, you are building for you. It's easy to get into the "space race" of watching all the mod's and $$$ folks are spending. Congratulations, on the little ones, my son is 19, some of his best memories are bouncing down a trail, and being outside. Stay safe and God Bless!