• HTML tutorial

Blake_A

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Blake
Last Name
Aragon
I'm looking to start overlanding once I get my first vehicle, but I've hit a roadblock on which vehicle to get because I have an E-mountain Bike that's 5 feet long by 3 feet tall, which I can only ride in the summer and must keep covered. I'm considering getting a GMT1500 or 2500 from 2006, such as a Blazer or a Silverado with a top, if there is any other options under 10k I can take my bike on and have a base to start a vehicle build on that be greatly appreciated on what i may learn here thanks for the advice and sorry for my grammar.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Expedition Master III

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
You can find Jeep XJs for well under $10k, which I like to recommend as a cheap starter. Hell, I got my first XJ for free. If you can sacrifice the seats and drop the back row you have a good chuck of space back there. The aftermarket builds for XJs are also great. The same could be said for a Ford Ranger. Good luck whatever you find, post pictures!

Blake_A

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Blake
Last Name
Aragon
thank you i willl keep that in mind and look more into it than i have already. i will try to find a good example because where i live in the washington they are usually broken or missing a engine.. haha but i will look for good examples thank you

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

You mention a GMT1500 Blazer. Easier to find would be the GMT400 series('87-'99), or GMT800 series (taking you to 2006) Tahoe or Yukon. Maybe even the Suburban or Yukon XL. 4 doors. That second row of doors could fit more people, or fold the back seats down to load more cargo or help tug the bike into place.

Very good platform from which to start. Decades of spare part availability, fairly simple mechanics and computers, by today's standards. By the same token, the "simplicity" helps make those two generations of GM's to be comfy yet not too hard to work on. Fuel economy is of course the downside.

I'm guessing the XJ, as venerable as it is, may not hold your bike with much usable space to spare. You may have to lean it to one side and sort of jenga stuff in around it.

For the record, I've had two big Blazers from the 90's and a 99 Grand Cherokee. Loved them all for slightly different reasons.

I'd get some measurements to see if you could stand the bike up in the cago area.

Reactions: Blake_A

Blake_A

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Blake
Last Name
Aragon
You mention a GMT1500 Blazer. Easier to find would be the GMT400 series('87-'99), or GMT800 series (taking you to 2006) Tahoe or Yukon. Maybe even the Suburban or Yukon XL. 4 doors. That second row of doors could fit more people, or fold the back seats down to load more cargo or help tug the bike into place.

Very good platform from which to start. Decades of spare part availability, fairly simple mechanics and computers, by today's standards. By the same token, the "simplicity" helps make those two generations of GM's to be comfy yet not too hard to work on. Fuel economy is of course the downside.

I'm guessing the XJ, as venerable as it is, may not hold your bike with much usable space to spare. You may have to lean it to one side and sort of jenga stuff in around it.

For the record, I've had two big Blazers from the 90's and a 99 Grand Cherokee. Loved them all for slightly different reasons.

I'd get some measurements to see if you could stand the bike up in the cago area.
thank you for the input ill check those out and i was thinking about the suburban because its built on a truck chassis and is also suv i get best of both worlds meeting all the needs but i will check the suburban out thank you very much

Blake_A

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Blake
Last Name
Aragon
Regular cab, long bed, gasoline, Ford Superduty.

It'll already have locker friendly axles.
yeah thats about the cheapest vehicle ive seen in washington a good 2006 ford f250 long bed with everything thank you for the insight