Menlo Park, CA
First Name
Bernard
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN9NGN
Planned to take the family dispersed camping over the Memorial Day Weekend. We usually go in to Stanislaus around Long Barn or Strawberry/Pinecrest. The roads in those areas are still closed. The rangers said that there's still quite a bit of snow piled up. Some of it was visible from the closure points. Ended up camping at a site near Pinecrest.

Beautiful spring days.

Also, the forest service is doing controlled burns in the area. More than a little smoke in the air.

Pics are of a cool looking alien-looking plant that was having its moment all over (something sanguines) and wife+dog taking a break after hiking around Pinecrest Lake.

Attachments

Call_me_Tom

Rank III

Enthusiast II

San Joaquin County, California, United States
First Name
Tom
Last Name
K9er
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Ret
My family and I camped in Stanislaus NF a few weeks ago and yes there was still snow in some areas.

We actually went to the Central Valley group meet on our way out but we were so tired we ended up leaving early.

Niebeendend

Rank II

Member I

California, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
James
Member #

Thanks for the report, very helpful. We are trying to plan a trip Jun 16-19 and figuring out what's open is challenging!

Bernard_C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Menlo Park, CA
First Name
Bernard
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN9NGN
Happy to share info.

In hindsight, I should have called the Summit Ranger Station (209.965.3434) before heading up, but there's still a lot of easy camping up there.