Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GTZ
Check out Long Barn ca , exit 108 Merrill Spings. Lots of dispersed camping on the Clavey river.
Aaron, I just spend the weekend over there - lots easy to find along 108 - unfortunately there was a big fire last year that wiped out quite a bit around Dardanelle - so we went over the pass and found a cool spot next to the Sardine Creek IMG_8633.JPG
(38.3131393, -119.6022283) but there are lots of options in the area. Hope this helps

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I was up there last weekend trying to run the Eagle Peak trail, which it turns out is closed until 7/31. While exploring we found some nice dispersed camping sites just past Pinecrest Lake.

Rough directions:
- Head east on highway 108 past Pinecrest Lake.
- Head south on Forest Route 4N12 in the direction of Herring Reservoir Campground.
- If the gate is open I recommend exploring Eagle Peak which is off of 5N74.
- You can either head back the way you came in, or it looks like you can loop to the south and then back to 108.

The campsites we saw are on a dirt road off of 4N12, if you search Google Maps for 38°14'03.3"N 119°57'20.2"W that spot is on the road.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Aaron, I just spend the weekend over there - lots easy to find along 108 - unfortunately there was a big fire last year that wiped out quite a bit around Dardanelle - so we went over the pass and found a cool spot next to the Sardine Creek View attachment 109084
(38.3131393, -119.6022283) but there are lots of options in the area. Hope this helps
Drove past you guys. That is a great spot. Weather was awesome as well..

Reactions: TrailHawkGuy

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Can anyone recommend dispersed camping in or near Stanislaus NF
Thank you!
Stop at the ranger station in either Long Barn or Pinecrest and grab a map. Just about every forest service road along 108 leads to great spots. Keep in mind there are several closures due to the Dardanelle fire. There are also a few roads way up high that are still snowed in as well as of las weekend.5E472FA6-FEAB-4F97-9C1D-B1D4D5A3BE91.jpeg

Dwbutler90

Rank 0

Contributor I

Concord, CA, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Butler
Hello, my wife and I were wheeling on some trails off forest route 7N09 this past weekend. It’s located up near bear valley off highway 4. While we were out we saw several dispersed campsites marked with trail markers. I believe this area is outside the mokelumne wilderness region but does anyone know if you need to get a permit before camping here?

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I think that most if not all of 7N09 is in the Stanislaus National Forest and that you do not need a permit for dispersed camping. I've camped on top of the Calaveras Dome several times, and there is at least one route you can take across the North Fork of the Mokelumne River to wind up on highway 88.

You do need a campfire permit if you want to have a fire.

There is a ranger station outside of Arnold where you can get additional details.

Dwbutler90

Rank 0

Contributor I

Concord, CA, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Butler
I think that most if not all of 7N09 is in the Stanislaus National Forest and that you do not need a permit for dispersed camping. I've camped on top of the Calaveras Dome several times, and there is at least one route you can take across the North Fork of the Mokelumne River to wind up on highway 88.

You do need a campfire permit if you want to have a fire.

There is a ranger station outside of Arnold where you can get additional details.
Thanks for you’re help