Spots to go Overlanding in Central or Northern this time of year (Feb/March)?

• HTML tutorial

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Hey Overlandbound,

My winters are usually dedicated to other hobbies, so I don't have great winter Overlanding spots picked out. However, I really have the itch for to go on a trip in the next month or so. I don't mind snow camping and some cold weather, in fact I rather enjoy it. But all of my spots are under many, many feet of snow and are accessed by trails/passes that are shut down for the season. I live in Lincoln, CA (just North of Sacramento) but work in the Bay Area, so I'm good with destinations that are a few hours from either one.

So what is there that's not too snowed in, yet is still out of the way, not highly visited/populated, picturesque and generally a great Overlanding destination in Feb/March in Central or Northern CA?

Thanks,
TJ

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Many people head to the Mojave, Death Valley, or Eastern Oregon deserts March/April. Other than that, Usal Beach or the redwoods might be a nice place this time of year. I have done some hunting around Lake Almanor/ Chester/Taylorsville/ Quincy/ and Eagle Lake. Always wanted to get back to that area, lots of land behind the two lakes. Maybe a little further than you wanted to go but should be easy travel. Otherwise your guess is as good as mine. Check with the area OB rep!