Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
I run an old suburban, GM placed a spare inside back drivers side. I am running two spares and trying to think of best locations. Concerns:
1. Ease of access and replacement of flat to the location.
2. Weight distribution and ride handling.
3. Rather keep the vehicle "camouflaged" as not an "overlander." (within reason)

I was originally thinking of keeping one spare in stock location and the second on a swing out out back. However the swing out adds weight behind the axle and costs money even if Im fabricating it.
The roof is putting weight exactly where I dont want it, up high, although I dont want the weight hanging out behind the axles either for that matter, but putting the flat up on the roof in possibly terrible conditions is not something I care to try out. The hood is a no go as it will draw too much attention and engineering a safe set up is too much trouble.

I am curious about peoples experience with how much these setup effect ride and safety.

I am thinking of placing the two spares right behind the front seats where the back seats used to be just on top of water and tools etc. this places them low, center, and accessible by back doors each, plus easy to put the flat back in. Curious of any arguments against this set up? Obviously the tires will be secured. The only downside I can think of is the slight loss of space inside the cabin, but this should be minor as its a suburban ffs.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
How do you propose to secure them behind to seats to keep them from from moving forward during sudden stops?

Reactions: kunstmilch

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I’ve removed the seats, I’ll use the same bolt holes the seats used to rig a structural tie down.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Front mount was pretty common on old Suburbans.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

If you look at some old Land Rovers, you can find ideas for mounting, inside, bonnet, rear door. Parts are available with a little fiddling can be adapted.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Downside of mounting them inside the cab is when you need to put that nasty, muddy, filthy flat tire in place of the spare.

Now that I think about it, you're saying your Suburban is "old" - what year is it? I thought the old ones with the barn doors had a factory option for one?

If not, I bet you could pick up one from a chevy van of the same era on the cheap and make it work, assuming you have the barn doors.

Last edited:

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I do like the idea of the front mount as the tire doubles as a push bumper and can save the radiator in a deer/animal strike. But I do kinda worry about air flow, but not sure that it actually matters that much perhaps? Anyone have any good articles on this? It would be interesting to do a tire up front and one in back on a swing out.

Reactions: M Rose

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

I do like the idea of the front mount as the tire doubles as a push bumper and can save the radiator in a deer/animal strike. But I do kinda worry about air flow, but not sure that it actually matters that much perhaps? Anyone have any good articles on this? It would be interesting to do a tire up front and one in back on a swing out.
Really all its going to do there is be a damage multiplier in any sort of real accident. Working in a body shop you see a ton of vehicles com in with full coverage front bumpers that are supposed to "protect" and really all they do is also take out your headlights/grille/rad support and all kinds of other things.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My dad had a 1968 Scout 800 with the tire mounted up front… it looked awesome, but you couldn’t see the trail over the tire very well.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I can certainly respect your concerns here, but you drive a Suburban and let's face it, GM didn't exactly build them with weight or handling in mind.

The biggest factor is going to be size. If you're running stock(ish) sized spares, neither roof or rear bumper is going to make all that much difference. A standard armored bumper would weigh more hanging off the back and I highly doubt you'd notice any more body roll from a roof mount than what you already live with on the beast.

I'd say secure it inside and see if you can live with it. If not, hang it on the back/front. Or buy a repair kit and a compressor and leave the second spare at home. ;)

Reactions: 05EXCURSION

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
What about under the frame, just forward of the bumper...like most trucks?
Can’t put a tire there have my as tank in that location (42 gallon) the stock location was in the cab drivers side near the tailgate.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Key question: do you really need two spares?

We've carried two spares in Africa and Australia (only part of the "big trip"). On all other trips we've carried one. We've never needed a second spare (in 50 years or so of travelling "overland". The secoind spare uses up GVM and space, and (as you obviously appreciate) adds challenge in terms of mounting, CoG, handling, etc.

If you have a compressor and repair kit you can handle most punctures. I wouldn't bother with the second spare.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
Instead of a 2nd spare you can take a tire repair kit.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I tend to agree with the others above.....do you REALLY NEED two spares? This is something that only you can answer, but you will be dancing around them every minute of every day only for the rare possibility that you'd need it. It's likely another 100 pounds or more depending on the fabricated mount that you just don't have to carry.

Sounds like you have an old square body Suburban (I had one and still covet having another)......pics are necessary, please :wink:

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Key question: do you really need two spares?

We've carried two spares in Africa and Australia (only part of the "big trip"). On all other trips we've carried one. We've never needed a second spare (in 50 years or so of travelling "overland". The secoind spare uses up GVM and space, and (as you obviously appreciate) adds challenge in terms of mounting, CoG, handling, etc.

If you have a compressor and repair kit you can handle most punctures. I wouldn't bother with the second spare.
To play devils advocate: I will forever carry two spares when I’m going on a trip longer than 4 days or long routes. Here’s why; when we were racing pro & trophy trucks in Baja and NV, almost every time a chase truck got one flat….it got a second. I have no idea why, but it seemed like one of those things. As soon as someone called out on the radio “had to fix a flat”, we all knew a second was coming. Just one of those superstitious kind of things.

The worst was when you’d get one on the road either to the race, course, or during the race. Cause then you were like F, the next one’s coming in the dirt….hopefully.

So, I only say this because we had all the flat fixers etc and you could do exactly what you say, BUT having that second spare was always heaven sent. And so I will forever carry two spares and tire repair gear on my longer trips.

Cause good ‘ol Murphy, he’s out there, and he wants to find ya! My $.02 and my experience only, so I definitely don’t think this a bad idea and would highly recommend to people.

Thanks for letting me speak, I hope everyone never needs them and wish everyone safe travels!

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I gave up and put the full size tire on the top. It works and does not kill the mileage any worse then everything else.

I’ve done this through a bunch of Oregon into N Nevada. I agree, great place to put the spare IF you don’t need your whole rack and want to keep everything inside your cab. I didn’t notice it a bit either, and I had it zip tied and ratchet strapped down. The other option I mentioned on another post, was strapped down in the rear cab, photo below. Both ways worked fine for me, shifting other gear around.

Is it the best place to mount it; no but it works and I do not notice it that much while turning.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: NCFireGuy