Spare tire mounting on a Tacoma.

• HTML tutorial

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I wanted a way to mount an extra tire in my bed. This is what I've come up with. I have 2 - 1/2 by 6 inches carriage bolts. They do not fit in the bed cargo rail until you grind/file flat spots on a top and bottom of the head. They should slide in fairly tight. Put a fender washer, lock washer, and wing nut on each, leave kinda loose. Put the wheel facing toward the cab and put the bolts through 2 lug holes. Put a fender washer and wing nut on each and snug down. Reach around and tighten the first ones against the rail. Stays tight and is easy to remove when needed. ......................................................................

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

You can do neat stuff with the side rails.. I actually found the T-slot nuts that go inside the tracks;

That's a shovel, toolbox, hilift all the way around. There is a good trick to have a Jerry at the back of the box as well.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

You can do neat stuff with the side rails.. I actually found the T-slot nuts that go inside the tracks;

That's a shovel, toolbox, hilift all the way around. There is a good trick to have a Jerry at the back of the box as well.
Nice. Tell more about these Things slot nuts please. I'm going to mount a shovel soon.

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

This is a T-slot;

You take off the end caps and slide it down the rail. Then when you are mounting to it the bolts just thread right in. Your carriage bolts are doing the same, just not as 'technical'..

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

This is a T-slot;

You take off the end caps and slide it down the rail. Then when you are mounting to it the bolts just thread right in. Your carriage bolts are doing the same, just not as 'technical'..
Thank you. I have to find some of these. I have a few Plow bolts that slide in also.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Reactions: tundraconvert

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

This is a T-slot;

THIS. This could add so much more mounting options to the bed.

Last edited:

Taco Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Paxton, MA
Member #

Any certain size ?
I got these, and they have been working well. Amazon reviews show other Tacoma owners using them.

Hyperlink doesn't seem to be working. Here is the Amazon item name.

1018 Steel T-Slot Nut, Black Oxide Finish, Grade 5, Tapped Through, 3/8"-16 Threads, 5/8" Height, 9/16" Slot Depth, Made in US (Pack of 5)

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I got these, and they have been working well. Amazon reviews show other Tacoma owners using them.

Hyperlink doesn't seem to be working. Here is the Amazon item name.

1018 Steel T-Slot Nut, Black Oxide Finish, Grade 5, Tapped Through, 3/8"-16 Threads, 5/8" Height, 9/16" Slot Depth, Made in US (Pack of 5)
Sweet...thank you..appreciated