Spare Parts Priorities

• HTML tutorial

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

I like to have 1 wheel bearing hub assembly and if you have u joints all around on your jeep I did 2 of each size in my tj (was only 4 total) plus everything mentioned by frisco

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Kelly

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Well, since you drive a Jeep <insert appropriate Jeep-deprecating joke here>.

Now that that's out of the way, failure is unpredictable. Recently, @Michael had one of those on the Mojave trip, who could have guessed that a radiator would do that?
Later, same trip, I had a supercharger belt idler pulley fail, causing all manner of havoc and chaos under the hood, including taking out the A/C belt.

Michael wasn't carrying a spare radiator, and I didn't have a spare pulley, what to do.

You have stuff that makes the minimum do-able. In other words, I had tools to remediate the damage caused by the pulley. I removed the belt, and later on installed the spare A/C belt I had stuffed in the back, because, well it was hot and I wanted AC! But I limped home without a supercharger. Painful but do-able.

You get to know your truck, right? I had a premonition that I should worry about those pulley's but did nothing about it. I paid the price.

Become familiar with your vehicle, know it's weak spots and idiosyncrasies. Carry spares to get you out, not to perform a perfect repair every time.
When I got home, I re-did the entire belt system on the front of the engine, including a replacement alternator, because I had a premonition that 160,000+ miles on an alternator was a good time to change that. And I found that the pulley remnants took out one of the fan blades. Time for a new fan. Spare in the garage, not in the car.

Carry tools to do the things your truck needs. Jeep needs are different than Toyota needs are different than Land Rover needs, etc.

I also carry a lot of the common tools that are good in a variety of needs. I have a cool, inexpensive way to make a hose clamp of any size, which means I don't have to carry a lot of different sized hose clamps. I carry an on-board welder and have used it.

I'm too heavy I think and could pare down a bit but I like being prepared, for not only my emergency, but to be able to assist someone else that might have a problem.

And if that problem is a broken distributor cap on a Landcruiser 80, I now carry a spare for you! What are the odds of that happening?

Dan.

nelsoncycles

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Columbus, OH
Member #

A few simple rules on spares.
-Don't worry about bringing spares that you don't have the knowledge and tools to install/repair
-What is most likely to leave you stranded?
-How long will you be out and how far will that adventure take you from the nearest autoparts store? What can or can't you get from the auto parts store?

I always have on me some basics, Radiator hose, spare belts, engine oil, trans oil, diff oil, coolant, wheel bearing grease, and repair supplies.
Repair supplies (elecrical tape, duct tape, wd-40, zip ties, bailing wire, jb weld, welding rods, wire dryer, tire plugs, super glue, thread locker, para cord, fueses)

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

On a long trip the typical parts which would keep you on the road in my opinion

Spare UJ's for Prop
Spare Wheel Bearings
Spare fan Belt!

It really depends on the vehicle and the typical things that would wear out or fail - also as mentioned space, how much space have you got to put spares in..

The other variable is how easy some parts are to get hold of, if say you are in "3rd world" country, how long would it take a garage to get the part for you?

Reactions: Tim

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

I always carry a spare fan/alternator belt. Depending on the vehicle I may carry spare radiator hoses.
I carry a limited, but well thought out tool kit and a repair manual.

From there I find a web forum that is specific to my vehicle. I surf through the forums and see what other users have experienced regarding parts failures. I may even post a question asking about common failures.

Good luck, TR

ZuLander

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Marcos, Tx
Member #

Some things may depend on if you're traveling solo. Just think about what you can still get home without if it breaks.
Like CV axles. If I'm solo, and in the thick of it, maybe it's a good idea. But if I'm a group, I know I still have 2wd and could probably rely on trail mates to get me through any rough patches.
A busted belt or radiator hose? Well that's another story...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

• Spare Tire
  • Fluids
  • Serpentine Belt
Everything else is a complete bodge job/field repair. Baling wire, JB weld, hose clamps, etc. Then just keep up on maintenance and get a pre-trip inspection; travel with friends and/or have good communications gear (especially some that doesn't rely on the car's battery)

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

On my last overland trip I asked the workshop that was servicing my Cruiser before I when what to take. They made out a list for me based on knowing my particular vehicle, it's mileage and age as well as what may break in their experience. I ended up with;
  1. Oils for the engine, gearbox, transfer case and axles. Not enough to replace them in each case but keep them topped up in case of leaks. We where travelling in a convoy other vehicles so could always pool oil supplies in case of a major issue.
  2. Bearings and seals - one front and one rear
  3. UJ's one of each type for the prop
  4. Belts - alternator and aircon
  5. Filter kit: air, oil and fuel
  6. Coolant hose kit
  7. Coolant
  8. Front pads
  9. Workshop manual
Many of the parts came from Terrain Tamer: http://www.terraintamer.com/en/ who handy kits that are idea to carry as spares.

What did I use in 3 weeks of travelling? An aircon belt. I also had two wheel bearings tightened at a local garage en-route.

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
Well, since you drive a Jeep <insert appropriate Jeep-deprecating joke here>.

Now that that's out of the way, failure is unpredictable. Recently, @Michael had one of those on the Mojave trip, who could have guessed that a radiator would do that?
Later, same trip, I had a supercharger belt idler pulley fail, causing all manner of havoc and chaos under the hood, including taking out the A/C belt.

Michael wasn't carrying a spare radiator, and I didn't have a spare pulley, what to do.

You have stuff that makes the minimum do-able. In other words, I had tools to remediate the damage caused by the pulley. I removed the belt, and later on installed the spare A/C belt I had stuffed in the back, because, well it was hot and I wanted AC! But I limped home without a supercharger. Painful but do-able.

You get to know your truck, right? I had a premonition that I should worry about those pulley's but did nothing about it. I paid the price.

Become familiar with your vehicle, know it's weak spots and idiosyncrasies. Carry spares to get you out, not to perform a perfect repair every time.
When I got home, I re-did the entire belt system on the front of the engine, including a replacement alternator, because I had a premonition that 160,000+ miles on an alternator was a good time to change that. And I found that the pulley remnants took out one of the fan blades. Time for a new fan. Spare in the garage, not in the car.

Carry tools to do the things your truck needs. Jeep needs are different than Toyota needs are different than Land Rover needs, etc.
land rover aftermarket parts
I also carry a lot of the common tools that are good in a variety of needs. I have a cool, inexpensive way to make a hose clamp of any size, which means I don't have to carry a lot of different sized hose clamps. I carry an on-board welder and have used it.

I'm too heavy I think and could pare down a bit but I like being prepared, for not only my emergency, but to be able to assist someone else that might have a problem.

And if that problem is a broken distributor cap on a Landcruiser 80, I now carry a spare for you! What are the odds of that happening?

Dan.
where do you all get your spare parts from and is there an exploded diagram that lists all the correct part numbers? I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but we were all new here once.:( Ps, I do use the search function

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

where do you all get your spare parts from and is there an exploded diagram that lists all the correct part numbers? I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but we were all new here once.:( Ps, I do use the search function
Specifically Jeep and older Jeep? Try Crown Automotive. Big Jeep parts supplier.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Expedition Master III

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
They will still have an old Haynes manual for your rig out there. Some manufacturers have their own versions as well, my new truck uses GM Upfitter "Body Builder" manuals and they come in good handy. For parts personally, I have to admit I don't bring anything. Just tools, recovery gear, and a spare tire. I don't do the gnarliest of trails, but the only thing that has ever broken on me offroad was the frame-side mounting point for my rear sway bar. That was in my old Gladiator, I must've fully extended my suspension one too many times and it opened up the hole. Luckily I was only a short limp to downtown Moab, it was a quick fix. Chop the existing bolts off, weld some heavy steel washers around the hole, and replace with new hardware.

Then the only thing I have seen happen actually pretty often is failed brake lines. It happened to one guy out on that same Moab trip, it happened to my wife in a parking lot, and it happened to me driving to work once. So probably look into brake lines.