Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Hi everyone,

Just returned from a trip to the Southern Goldfields Region of Western Australia where we spent four days out there and travelling on some very remote tracks.

Here are some images from that trip.

Karl

The start point.

2022-01-03 4WD - 001-Edit.jpg

Quick stop on the track

2022-01-03 4WD - 004-Edit.jpg

Fixing a puncture

2022-01-03 4WD - 007-Edit.jpg

Doing some repairs

2022-01-03 4WD - 009-Edit.jpg

The track from the air

2022-01-03 Drone 001-Edit.jpg

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Oh, like our Ghost Towns here in the US West..
Yes, except here most of the towns no longer exist, only the sites due to:

1. Back in the old days when people left and abandoned the towns, they took the buildings with them to rebuild elsewhere; or
2. Those buildings that weren't removed where removed by the Govt of the day to prevent squatting, so now we only have a 'footprint' of the town site and no buildings :persevere::persevere::persevere:

Karl

• Wow
Reactions: 9Mike2

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Love the pix of all the rigs with their hoods up. ha ha.
It was a hot day for driving with the temp at 41 degrees Celsius (108 degrees Fahrenheit) so we always pop the bonnets to allow the engines to cool down, plus it allows for a quick visual inspection of the engine bay to see if there are any issues.

Once it starts getting dark and the engines have cooled down, you have to close the bonnets so that snakes and other critters looking for warmth don't crawl up inside your engine bay for the night otherwise the next day you will either get a fright when you go to do your morning checks (i.e. water, oils etc) or when you start driving and the critter starts to cook :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Karl

Reactions: 9Mike2 and old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I run hood vents and aux fans because I do a lot at high altitudes where the loads are greater and the air thinner, or I am in the desert at 120F. My tip is to run the equivalent of a turbo timer and it forces the aux fan to run for several minutes after you stop to cool things down. I just laughed because we are always having to fix/tweak something after a long day on the trail. That or pull your supper off of the exhaust manifold.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Nomad164