Camby, Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Good evening gents. I’m taking my first trip over to South Dakota this summer. I’m looking for a great trail for family off-roading in a stock Tacoma trd/or with some camping along the route. Looking maybe a day out and back the next day. I know we will be baseing in rapid city and going to Rushmore and deadwood. We were think about black hills or the badlands. I look forward to any input or discussion thanks!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Do the Badlands if you can. It's like being on Mars. There are walking trails and the roads take you through some interesting territory. And they have some campgrounds in the park as well.

We were there this past May and it was stunning. I still have the map in my truck. I'll get it and maybe tomorrow have the outline what we drove and where we camped for you.

20210518_194641.jpg20210518_200525.jpg20210518_200607.jpg20210519_092600.jpg20210519_092632.jpg

Reactions: JTLambert

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

That's a thread about our drive out from Boston and back.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Iowa 80 Truck Stop!

Then...a lot more flat land

Crossing the Missouri River at Chamberlain on rt90 was stunning. That seemed like the marker between midwest and west, to me.

We enjoyed camping at Cedar Pass in the Badlands. Get yourself the America The Beatiful Parks Pass. Free National Park entrance and reduced campground fee at camps in national parks.

Stopped at Wall Drug. Theres also an old Cold War Era missile base nearby but we passed it. Would like to see that next time.

Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore were inspiring to see, from either end of the spectrum, and the ride through the hills is beautiful.

We enjoyed a brief stop at Deadwood for a meal and a beer before cutting the corner over to Montana.

My nephew tells me Wind Caves is another good spot in South Dakota.

Hope this all helps

DaSantanamana

Rank I

Contributor III

Black Hills, United States
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Santana
I live in Rapid City and have ridden many of the trails around the area in my Ranger, SXSs, and my dirtbike. There is a lot in the hills a stock Tacoma can do, but a lot you will wish you did not attempt if you end up down the wrong path. Avenza Maps works well in the hills pointing out which trails are which, as many of our trails are restricted to 62inches or less and mean it. If are looking to download maps in Avenza for the area, I recommend looking for ones titles Black Hills Receation Maps. There are 3 or 4 of them for the area. They're free so get them all.

I'm pretty fond of Railroad Buttes in the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands about 30 minutes east of Rapid off Hwy 44. It's more of a Badlands type terrain than the hills. For an experience in the hills, I like taking the Piedmont Trailhead from Piedmont (about 15 minutes west of Rapid) to Dalton Lake. From Dalton Lake you can really enter the heart of the hills and hit tons of trails, but again pay attention to width restrictions and trails dedicated for rock crawling.

Chief Indy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Camby, Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I live in Rapid City and have ridden many of the trails around the area in my Ranger, SXSs, and my dirtbike. There is a lot in the hills a stock Tacoma can do, but a lot you will wish you did not attempt if you end up down the wrong path. Avenza Maps works well in the hills pointing out which trails are which, as many of our trails are restricted to 62inches or less and mean it. If are looking to download maps in Avenza for the area, I recommend looking for ones titles Black Hills Receation Maps. There are 3 or 4 of them for the area. They're free so get them all.

I'm pretty fond of Railroad Buttes in the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands about 30 minutes east of Rapid off Hwy 44. It's more of a Badlands type terrain than the hills. For an experience in the hills, I like taking the Piedmont Trailhead from Piedmont (about 15 minutes west of Rapid) to Dalton Lake. From Dalton Lake you can really enter the heart of the hills and hit tons of trails, but again pay attention to width restrictions and trails dedicated for rock crawling.
Ill get on and take a look thanks for the info!

Reactions: Mtnmn99

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

It is good to see SD getting some love. I recently moved to Chamberlain here from the Sierra's. I moved in late Autumn, therefore had little time to explore. I am looking forward to my first Spring and Summer to hit trails and visit many of the places you listed.

Mid State Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Little Falls, Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Finch
Good evening gents. I’m taking my first trip over to South Dakota this summer. I’m looking for a great trail for family off-roading in a stock Tacoma trd/or with some camping along the route. Looking maybe a day out and back the next day. I know we will be baseing in rapid city and going to Rushmore and deadwood. We were think about black hills or the badlands. I look forward to any input or discussion thanks!
I hope this helps, <iframe src="Black Hills Trails Day 1 - Google My Maps" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

Mid State Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Little Falls, Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Finch

Here is some more info for the Black Hills area Black hills Jeep trails with GPS tracks.