• HTML tutorial

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Hello everyone!

Was just wondering if any of you out there use a South African potjie pot?

If so, what size are you using? There are sizing charts out there, but am wondering how correct they are. How well do you like it? How do they compare to the average Dutch oven? If I'm understanding it correctly the design of the pot affects the cooking time and such.

bigearlmsp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Blaine, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Menard
Member #

I love my potjie pot. We have a size 3.

My South African friend who introduced me to the potjie was appalled when I made the comment that it was like a dutch oven. The way you layer the food to cook in the pot spreads the flavors out. If you're thinking about getting one, I highly recommend. We've cooked over campfire and using charcoal. There are some great recipes out there!

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I love my potjie pot. We have a size 3.

My South African friend who introduced me to the potjie was appalled when I made the comment that it was like a dutch oven. The way you layer the food to cook in the pot spreads the flavors out. If you're thinking about getting one, I highly recommend. We've cooked over campfire and using charcoal. There are some great recipes out there!
We are considering one, probably no bigger than a size 2 though. I've read about 'layering' the food, but how does it do with stew? I know, dumb question, just curious.