ramblinChet

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Yorktown, VA, USA
First Name
Chet
Last Name
Szymecki
The Sonoran Desert Traverse spans 320+ miles using the Godwin Jeep Trail, Bradshaw Truck Trail, and Agua Caliente Road to link the Salton Sea, in California, with greater Phoenix, in Arizona. My amazing adventure lasted six full days although it could have easily lasted a few longer and been even more enjoyable - there is just so much to see along the way!
SDT 01.jpg

This morning I am many miles deep into the desert and I am expecting to travel another day without seeing anyone else. There's something special that you feel traveling alone in the desert so far away from the rest of humanity. If you are male, female, young, old, etc., I would encourage you to venture into the unknown natural world, alone. This was an unexpected tight spot in a wash just south of Box Canyon. It was so tight that both of my mirrors were folded in and the Maxtrax on the side of my Four Wheel Camper were less than an inch from a section of the wall. It was an easy obstacle to clear provided you crawl through.
SDT 02.jpg

Sunsets in the desert seem to distort time. Everything slows down as the sun dips below the horizon and those final few rays of light reflect off the atmosphere racing towards a darkness they will never reach. This will be another night sleeping alone in the desert - I can't explain how peaceful and relaxing it is sleeping in a remote area where there is no noise or man made objects to clutter the surroundings. To me, large cities represent the greatest failure of all mankind.
SDT 03.jpg

Venturing deep into Red Canyon after dark was a surreal experience. The mud canyon walls were easily 100+ feet tall and my primary concern was the remote possibility of a section breaking off. There are so many nooks and crannies to explore in hear I could have spent an entire day. Next time I visit I plan to camp down in here for at least a few days.
SDT 04.jpg

Camping high on a hill overlooking the desert twenty-five miles west of Quartzsite, Arizona, the day prior to arriving at one of two upcoming adventure events. The desert has begun to bloom in some areas and the colors are beautiful. You know I'm a crawlin' king snake baby, and I rules my den...
SDT 05.jpg

Once I passed the Red Canyon and continued east, the roads smoothed out and my pace through the Sonoran Desert picked up. In many areas I was able to cruise through the desert at 20-25 mph. My plans included stopping in Quartzsite, Arizona, to attend the 2024 Truck Camper Adventure Rally and Desert Rendezvous which were one week apart! I had an amazing time at both events, examined hundreds of rigs, and met so many wonderful happy people.
SDT 06.jpg

After stopping in Quartzsite I jumped onto a section of the Arizona Peace Trail to a point where I would rejoin the Sonoran Desert Traverse to complete the miles I have remaining. This photo is of a section of the Arizona Peace Trail which passes under I-10 east of Quartzsite. Maybe a stock full size truck could squeeze through but my AEV Prospector and FWC combo could not. Fortunately, I found an old barbed-wire gate nearby and used it to continue moving eastward.
SDT 07.jpg

I slept in the Gila Bend Mountains last night and took time this morning to prepare myself a fine breakfast consisting of eggs, bacon, toast, orange juice and milk. Earlier, my eyes slowly opened as the sun began to rise - I listened to birds and insects begin their daily chores. It was a cool but comfortable night, it is becoming warmer now as we move towards spring. For lunch I stopped in this wash, chased lizards, and took time to enjoy a fine and relaxing meal. One of the things I enjoy most about overland adventure is no longer rushing to squeeze in a meal - my meals are healthier and I now have the time to enjoy every single one. Slow down and enjoy life - you deserve it.
SDT 08.jpg

I stopped to explore another ghost town, this one is named Sundad and served as a sanitarium for tuberculosis patients a century ago. This may sound funny but I am beginning to consider rusty shot-up metal objects in the desert a type of art. I would guess that this art form exists mostly in these United States since few other nations respect our God-given right to defend ourselves and our property.
SDT 09.jpg

Once I completed the trail I resupplied and began to quickly head east to complete another trail and attend my third Starship launch - the first two were two much fun! I stopped to sleep at Texas Canyon in New Mexico. Just a few miles south of here in the Dragoon Mountains is where legendary Apache warrior Cochise fought his final battle. He is buried "in the rocks above one of his favorite camps...now called the Cochise Stronghold." I will return someday to sleep in those same mountains.

After spending the past few months exploring the Sonoran Desert it feels strange knowing that I have begun my departure. The desert is slowly waking up after hibernating for the winter and now I am saying goodbye. I will return and I will remain longer next time - I hear some never leave. If you have an aversion to pin-striping you might want to avoid travel in the desert. I guess I'm indifferent to dents or damage on my Prospector although I do make a reasonable effort to minimize it. The payoff is worth it in spades though considering the places I have visited that few others have ever seen.
SDT 10.jpg

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Great trip report! Some of those deep canyons are really amazing - like a natural rock fortress, keeping civilization at bay. I enjoy the sounds of ‘yotes yapping and howling at night, bats flying around crazily at dawn/dusk and just the utter vastness of the night sky. I hope you catch a great spring bloom!

Reactions: ramblinChet

MichaelMartin

Rank I

Contributor II

US
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Martin
The Sonoran Desert Traverse spans 320+ miles using the Godwin Jeep Trail, Bradshaw Truck Trail, and Agua Caliente Road to link the Salton Sea, in California, with greater Phoenix, in Arizona. My amazing adventure lasted six full days although it could have easily lasted a few longer and been even more enjoyable - there is just so much to see along the way!
View attachment 274814

This morning I am many miles deep into the desert and I am expecting to travel another day without seeing anyone else. There's something special that you feel traveling alone in the desert so far away from the rest of humanity. If you are male, female, young, old, etc., I would encourage you to venture into the unknown natural world, alone. This was an unexpected tight spot in a wash just south of Box Canyon. It was so tight that both of my mirrors were folded in and the Maxtrax on the side of my Four Wheel Camper were less than an inch from a section of the wall. It was an easy obstacle to clear provided you crawl through.
View attachment 274815

Sunsets in the desert seem to distort time. Everything slows down as the sun dips below the horizon and those final few rays of light reflect off the atmosphere racing towards a darkness they will never reach. This will be another night sleeping alone in the desert - I can't explain how peaceful and relaxing it is sleeping in a remote area where there is no noise or man made objects to clutter the surroundings. To me, large cities represent the greatest failure of all mankind.
View attachment 274816

Venturing deep into Red Canyon after dark was a surreal experience. The mud canyon walls were easily 100+ feet tall and my primary concern was the remote possibility of a section breaking off. There are so many nooks and crannies to explore in hear I could have spent an entire day. Next time I visit I plan to camp down in here for at least a few days.
View attachment 274817

Camping high on a hill overlooking the desert twenty-five miles west of Quartzsite, Arizona, the day prior to arriving at one of two upcoming adventure events. The desert has begun to bloom in some areas and the colors are beautiful. You know I'm a crawlin' king snake baby, and I rules my den...
View attachment 274818

Once I passed the Red Canyon and continued east, the roads smoothed out and my pace through the Sonoran Desert picked up. In many areas I was able to cruise through the desert at 20-25 mph. My plans included stopping in Quartzsite, Arizona, to attend the 2024 Truck Camper Adventure Rally and Desert Rendezvous which were one week apart! I had an amazing time at both events, examined hundreds of rigs, and met so many wonderful happy people.
View attachment 274819

After stopping in Quartzsite I jumped onto a section of the Arizona Peace Trail to a point where I would rejoin the Sonoran Desert Traverse to complete the miles I have remaining. This photo is of a section of the Arizona Peace Trail which passes under I-10 east of Quartzsite. Maybe a stock full size truck could squeeze through but my AEV Prospector and FWC combo could not. Fortunately, I found an old barbed-wire gate nearby and used it to continue moving eastward.
View attachment 274820

I slept in the Gila Bend Mountains last night and took time this morning to prepare myself a fine breakfast consisting of eggs, bacon, toast, orange juice and milk. Earlier, my eyes slowly opened as the sun began to rise - I listened to birds and insects begin their daily chores. It was a cool but comfortable night, it is becoming warmer now as we move towards spring. For lunch I stopped in this wash, chased lizards, and took time to enjoy a fine and relaxing meal. One of the things I enjoy most about overland adventure is no longer rushing to squeeze in a meal - my meals are healthier and I now have the time to enjoy every single one. Slow down and enjoy life - you deserve it.
View attachment 274821

I stopped to explore another ghost town, this one is named Sundad and served as a sanitarium for tuberculosis patients a century ago. This may sound funny but I am beginning to consider rusty shot-up metal objects in the desert a type of art. I would guess that this art form exists mostly in these United States since few other nations respect our God-given right to defend ourselves and our property.
View attachment 274822

Once I completed the trail I resupplied and began to quickly head east to complete another trail and attend my third Starship launch - the first two were two much fun! I stopped to sleep at Texas Canyon in New Mexico. Just a few miles south of here in the Dragoon Mountains is where legendary Apache warrior Cochise fought his final battle. He is buried "in the rocks above one of his favorite camps...now called the Cochise Stronghold." I will return someday to sleep in those same mountains.

After spending the past few months exploring the Sonoran Desert it feels strange knowing that I have begun my departure. The desert is slowly waking up after hibernating for the winter and now I am saying goodbye. I will return and I will remain longer next time - I hear some never leave. If you have an aversion to pin-striping you might want to avoid travel in the desert. I guess I'm indifferent to dents or damage on my Prospector although I do make a reasonable effort to minimize it. The payoff is worth it in spades though considering the places I have visited that few others have ever seen.
View attachment 274823
Nice; I love it. It seems you have a lot of fun. I also had a lot of fun last week because I had so much time. I think you also want to know that. What about my assignment and essay submission? Let me tell you about Write My Paper For Me: Paper Writing Service by DoMyPaper DoMyPaper. I took help from them. They are a writing service provider; they write for you at a very affordable price if you pay them. I like them so much for having fun.
Nice, I love it. It seems you have a lot of fun :)

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Awesome trip to a part of the world I'm not likely to see, but then, who knows. Your blues sound track seemed very fitting for the desert landscape, somehow. Love your rig - those pop up campers are a pretty swanky option if they work for your needs. I wouldn't mind one myself except that my rig has to do double duty as a homestead workhorse. Cheers and thanks for sharing an excellent adventure!