outhere

Rank 0

Contributor I

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
First Name
thomas
Last Name
zick
Hello, new user here. I am a big fan of the OB Youtube channel.
I have an opportunity to purchase discounted solar equipment. Is anyone familiar with he nature power (model 55702) 120 watt monocrystalline briefcase solar panel kit? I have 2 marine batteries that I would like to use with a portable system. I can pick this up new for $200, amazon has it for $302. Is there a better similar option?
Also, is a sinewave inverter necessary for a refridgerator, or is it only important when powering a laptop?
Thank you!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Welcome Tom! I'm by no means a solar expert, but I have watched plenty of YouTube videos on the subject lol. I've watched enough where I had enough confidence to build my own setup in / on my truck. I have not heard of that brand Nature Power. I have a Renogy rigid panel on my truck and I do have a Dokio solar panel suit case kit. The Nature Power looks like a solid kit and has good ratings, at least from the 3 that rated it. $200 is a good price and would be worth a try.

For a sinewave for a fridge, I'd say if you can afford it, you should get it. Not sure if it is necessary, but from my understanding it is more efficient and better for sensitive equipment. Who knows what you might hook up in the future. Best to get the better inverter now.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Mobile fridges can run off 12 volts so an inverter isn't necessary.
Doesn't sound like a bad price for the panel and controller.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarinRow

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Look into one of the 12volt fridge/freezers. I have an Edgestar in my trailer and a small Whytner in my Cruiser. The trailer has a 120 watt panel. It more than keeps up with the fridge. Do some research on them. Both of mine are 12v/120 and have very low draw motors.