Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I’m running a 100watt rugged flexible panel on my tent and then have a foldout 95watt panel of the same voltage and manufacturer used for base camping typically. The permanent tent mounted panel is great to keep a constant float charge when not on a trip and has kept my fridge running indefinitely, as I am typically parked outside my house and work with open sky. The fold out comes into play when camping and the tent is open and/or under trees, or where I need more charging t.393E76FE-4E39-41BF-87DB-A484640CA8AF.jpegB6877FA2-1C6C-4D9F-8F34-FF96B5CF5867.jpeg

PDB

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

Have a pair mounted on the hood rated 55w x2 realistically run closer to 95w total most days. Run an arb fridge, my cameras, and a pair of blue sea usb charging outlets.
I've thought of doing that. They are nice panels and I also have an aluminium hood. How did you mount them and what model are they please?
The panels are Lensun model “LS-55FX2-KK-A-FBA” they are affixed to the hood with a bead of black RTV silicone and a few dots of black roofing tar in the center of each the panels. On my previous truck I used a more firm attachment in the center and the panels were damaged attempting to remove them to move them to the new hood.
Thanks - that is very helpful.

Jay

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Canada
First Name
jay
Last Name
mysterious
Member #

I have a 100w panel that goes to a 100amp deep cycle battery, and i run my arb fridge with the occasional phone charge. Longest ive run the fridge is 5 days non stop and battery was always tip top even with 3 of those days being grey and overcast

The whole setup with the deep cycle marine battery, battery box, renogy charge controller(not mmpt and still charged the hell outa the battery) 100w renogy panel, and wire extensions cost me 680canadian dollars.
And yes i just run the wires through the door seals and water ingress has not been a problem if you run them towards the rear of the passenger doors, if you put them near the pillars the water channels its way inside

(Edit: do not route your cables like i did in those pictures, thats how i learned about the water coming in xD)
I like your idea of putting your panels on sliders so they can be protected when not in use. Very clever. Like to see how you get the power to the inside of your rig and to the battery. Are you also connected to your rig alternator ?
No im not connected to the alternator because a DCtoDC charger was like 250$ on amazon.

The wires simply run between the door amd door seal, i.e you close the door and “pinch” the wires with the door seal. Its worked fine for me and one day I will put one of those caps that goes from your roof to the rig like RVs have

Andrew Leach

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX
Member #

I have 2 panels on my 2018 TRD 4runner. A 100W Renogy fixed panel on my roof rack and a 90W hood mounted panel from Casacadia 4X4.

I have to say the hood mounted panel is very clean and super easy to install, you just have to have a flat non-scooped hood. I found there are plenty of SR5 4runner owners with the flat hood willing to swap for a scooped hood, so that's what I did.

The roof mounted 100W panel has to come off when my rooftop tent goes on. In that situation I have a smaller 50W Renogy panel that I mounted to the top of a Alu-Box that goes on roof rack when RTT is on, uses same wires/plugs for either panel.

So I have either 190W or 140W worth of panels depending on what type of trouble I'm looking to get into. I don't have pics of the Renogy panels but could take some if any interest.
image0.jpegimage2.jpeg

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have 2 panels on my 2018 TRD 4runner. A 100W Renogy fixed panel on my roof rack and a 90W hood mounted panel from Casacadia 4X4.

I have to say the hood mounted panel is very clean and super easy to install, you just have to have a flat non-scooped hood. I found there are plenty of SR5 4runner owners with the flat hood willing to swap for a scooped hood, so that's what I did.

The roof mounted 100W panel has to come off when my rooftop tent goes on. In that situation I have a smaller 50W Renogy panel that I mounted to the top of a Alu-Box that goes on roof rack when RTT is on, uses same wires/plugs for either panel.

So I have either 190W or 140W worth of panels depending on what type of trouble I'm looking to get into. I don't have pics of the Renogy panels but could take some if any interest.
View attachment 177130View attachment 177131
Very cool, I like that. How does the panel adhere to the hood? The dark panels matches your rigs perfectly.

Andrew Leach

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX
Member #

Very cool, I like that. How does the panel adhere to the hood? The dark panels matches your rigs perfectly.
The edge of underside of panel is pre-mounted with the same 3M tape they adhere glass windows to skyscrapers with. Cascade 4X4 sells the whole kit, was pretty easy. The panels are shaped for your car's hood shape. Not sure if they have a Chevy hood yet but frankly some sizes/shapes are generic enough that if you don't have hard ridglines in your hood you can find one they have that will work.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
The edge of underside of panel is pre-mounted with the same 3M tape they adhere glass windows to skyscrapers with. Cascade 4X4 sells the whole kit, was pretty easy. The panels are shaped for your car's hood shape. Not sure if they have a Chevy hood yet but frankly some sizes/shapes are generic enough that if you don't have hard ridglines in your hood you can find one they have that will work.
Thanks was just curious on how they stick on, something to think about for my other rigs. My truck already has a 100w panel on the roof of the cab.

operatorj

Rank IV

Advocate I

Heltonville, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ive been looking at doing solar to. Anyone running these?
Would love to hear your input.

operatorj

Rank IV

Advocate I

Heltonville, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

View attachment 177130View attachment 177131
Ive been looking at these . Thanks for your info. My have to jump on this soon.