Rank III

Member III

Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Colton
Last Name
Elkins
Member #

I use my Tundra as my Overlanding vehicle and its also my daily driver/ pickup. I use the bed a lot so a camper shell is not feasible. In the past, I have camped in the back of my truck by using a makeshift tent from a large canvas tarp and a frame I built. This option was ok for a short time when I was driving up to Alaska but now I want something more convenient and form fit. I like to camp in my truck bed for the security of being off the ground.

Does anyone have any experience with softopper's? Are they worth it and how long can I expect one to last? I feel like that could be a good solution for me since they are easily removable but I wanted to talk with someone before I got one. Thanks

jinja

Rank I

Member I

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Palmer
Member #

Have you found your answer? Curious to know as well. Plenty of them driving around over here in CA.

Have you considered a removable rack and rooftop tent? Those seem to hold up good

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I'm very happy with my Softopper, no water in bed, no drafts, quick heat with a Mr Buddy. The vinyl should last many years with a twice a year Aero 303 treatment. I have a Sumberjack Road house I set up ff the end of the bed, gives me a large dry area that is quick to set up and take down.

tremoroverland

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Somerville, Texas, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Caples
Member #

I'm very happy with my Softopper, no water in bed, no drafts, quick heat with a Mr Buddy. The vinyl should last many years with a twice a year Aero 303 treatment. I have a Sumberjack Road house I set up ff the end of the bed, gives me a large dry area that is quick to set up and take down.
Very nice setup.

Selectivelynoncompliant

Rank III

Enthusiast III

KS, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harrod
Member #

That is a great set up

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I use my Tundra as my Overlanding vehicle and its also my daily driver/ pickup. I use the bed a lot so a camper shell is not feasible. In the past, I have camped in the back of my truck by using a makeshift tent from a large canvas tarp and a frame I built. This option was ok for a short time when I was driving up to Alaska but now I want something more convenient and form fit. I like to camp in my truck bed for the security of being off the ground.

Does anyone have any experience with softopper's? Are they worth it and how long can I expect one to last? I feel like that could be a good solution for me since they are easily removable but I wanted to talk with someone before I got one. Thanks
I know this is a late reply; I just picked up my Softopper for my Ram, I have it sitting in the garage with a few more mods. I'll wait for spring to install them since I want to Raptor Liner or LineX the Bed and bumpers. I can't wait to install it.

Reactions: elkburgers

4L_Warrior

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

A little late as well, but I love mine! I wish I would have picked one up sooner. It is so nice for keeping rain and dust off gear. It's only material, but keeping gear out of sight when stopping for supplies or at a trail head is a good thing. I really like it because in under 30 seconds, you have access to your truck bed to haul big stuff. I was lucky to find mine on Craigslist for $300.

Attachments

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I'm going to add the KB Voodoo rack for Softoppers as well with the MTB mounts on both sides. Do you condition your soft top? I'm thinking that my best top soft top condition/cleaner kit will work just fine for this top.

4L_Warrior

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

I wash it with a small amount of mild car wash soap, let it dry then apply a coat of Aero 303. I think your stuff would work equally well.

Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I'm going to add the KB Voodoo rack for Softoppers as well with the MTB mounts on both sides. Do you condition your soft top? I'm thinking that my best top soft top condition/cleaner kit will work just fine for this top.
The Best top kit is gtg, I recommend some zipper lube. Areo 303 every 3-4 months keep the top like new. I fought one of my zippers until I bought some Gear Aid zipper cleaner/lube, stuff is magic.