Snow on Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, or Imogene Pass in early July?

• HTML tutorial

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

Cottonwood Heights, UT, USA
First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

I am planning on heading to CO to do Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, and Imogene Pass in very early July. Some of these trails go up over 13,000 ft. in elevation.
What are the chances that I may encounter snow on the trails during this time? And for those of you who are familiar with these particular trails, do you think snow could greatly increase risk?

(i'm still doing my own research as well as asking here, btw)

Moment4Life

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Aurora, CO, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Cross
Have a saying here “ If you do not like the weather wait 5 minutes” anyone’s guess but it can go bad to real bad in a blink, lightning would be my main concern. Plan gear accordingly and maxtrax or the like and a snow anchor for winch just in case

Reactions: BroncoTrail

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

I have two Maxtraxx traction boards, snow shovel, regular shovel, snatch rope, and shackles. I'll have a passenger with me but no other vehicle. (I know... I know..)

A winch would be real nice - maybe I should get one. :sweatsmile:
I wonder if I should get two more traction boards also.

Hmmm....

Moment4Life

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Aurora, CO, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Cross
More gear Noyes oh why not. Seriously just keep an eye on weather and walk ahead if what’s in front is sketch , a winch most times won’t do much (non trees) I worry way more about lightning than much of anything else, had a landscape company and lightning is scary real scary.

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

Did those last July when doing the Colorado BDR and there was plenty of snow around but not on the road, those were clear. We were walking around in short sleeve shirts during the day except when the wind was blowing. As others have said, lighting and general t-storms were the biggest concern, but we got lucky and didn't have any issues as we topped out before 1pm each day. But every year's snow pack is different.

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

Cars are safe from lightning because of the metal cage surrounding the people inside the vehicle. The metal cage of a car directs the lightning charge around the vehicle occupants and safely into the ground, so the car protects anyone inside.

I would need to be extra, extra careful the moment I step outside the vehicle though. :wink:

Moment4Life

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Aurora, CO, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Cross
Cars are safe from lightning because of the metal cage surrounding the people inside the vehicle. The metal cage of a car directs the lightning charge around the vehicle occupants and safely into the ground, so the car protects anyone inside.

I would need to be extra, extra careful the moment I step outside the vehicle though. :wink:
Exactly and wet ground lightning has a travel path

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Normally most of those trails are cleared by 4th of July weekend, that said, it entirely depends on how much snow fall we get this year. if we get really heavy winter snow fall the trails may not yet be open. Keep an eye on the weather and there are several facebook groups as well as other websites where you can find trail reports or current trail conditions.

Cypher

Rank I

Contributor III

Carefree, AZ, USA
First Name
Laurence
Last Name
Brnr
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7CUT

This is not always true. While yes being inside a vehicle during a lightning storm is safer than most other places you can be, it can still be dangerous and a strike can still cause injury or death. As an avid weather enthusiast and certified NWS weather spotter, I have heard and read of a good number of instances in which a vehicle lightning strike results in injury. If the strike hits a CB or Ham radio antenna, these components can literally explode in the vehicle. Vehicle strikes have deployed airbags and injured passengers as well. Lastly, if you unlucky enough to be in direct contact with metal you could get burned or worse yet, shocked if there is a path through your body. Be safe out there and always be cautious of lightning at all times.

That said, to answer your question about the trails, each July I have spent in the San Juans, I have been able to traverse these trails without issue. One year Imogene didn't open until July 12th, but this seems to be the exception. The summer thunderstorms can be very intense in the area and often lead to mud/rock slides, be careful of this and plan according to the weather forecast. Know that at high elevation weather forecasts are more difficult to predict and storms can pop up even when they are not forecasted. There is a good rule of thumb to follow at high elevation which is "if clouds by 10am, then rain by 2pm". It is not perfect but it is something to keep in mind. The best time to hit these trails is early in the morning and then be off the mountain my mid-afternoon. Possibly enjoying a fantastic cold beer at Ouray Brewery, one of my favorite places on the planet!

Last edited:
  • Love

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

We did Imogene and Ophir this last July 13th and it was fine. No snow on or near the roads. There is a lot of truth to afternoon downpours though. We got caught right at the pass on Imogene and it poured almost the whole way down to Ouray with some light hail. There was a tour Ram 2500 in front of us with a whole bed full of people and they had to ride the whole way down under a tarp.

• Wow

Murfman

Rank I

Contributor III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Murphy
This came into my Bronco Forum;
5/29/23 - Courtesy of long time trail-status contributor, Carl B. :)
- Imogene Pass Road FSR 869 remains CLOSED to snow from above Camp Bird Road (foto). The lower entrance through the mine property is also snowed over.
** NOTE - In talking with the director of Ouray County Road and Bridge yesterday, he informed me that the mine operators had previously dug all the 4-wheeling roads open in the spring. Sadly that is no longer the case! Ouray County has no funding to do that work themselves.
- This means that if the snow has to melt naturally to clear the trail for travel, then so be it. Access to Imogene Pass will then be the same situation as we see on Pear Pass Road. Mother nature may not melt all before next winter comes around again. In short, we best be prepared for a long wait to get near Imogene Pass proper from the Ouray side.

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

This came into my Bronco Forum;
5/29/23 - Courtesy of long time trail-status contributor, Carl B. :)
- Imogene Pass Road FSR 869 remains CLOSED to snow from above Camp Bird Road (foto). The lower entrance through the mine property is also snowed over.
** NOTE - In talking with the director of Ouray County Road and Bridge yesterday, he informed me that the mine operators had previously dug all the 4-wheeling roads open in the spring. Sadly that is no longer the case! Ouray County has no funding to do that work themselves.
- This means that if the snow has to melt naturally to clear the trail for travel, then so be it. Access to Imogene Pass will then be the same situation as we see on Pear Pass Road. Mother nature may not melt all before next winter comes around again. In short, we best be prepared for a long wait to get near Imogene Pass proper from the Ouray side.
Thanks Murfman. I have this post from @Neal A. Tew bookmarked and will be checking it frequently starting soon.

DaJudge

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Mexico
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Judge
Member #

The county will have most trails open by July. I have seen Imogene and Black Bear open later (or not at all) but the rest will be open. Between them plowing the trails, the rain, and the huge amounts of traffic, you won't have snow on the trail.