Snow and Chains...Do we need them?

• HTML tutorial

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I am in Arnold , CA right now on my way to Bear Valley. The highway boards say that chains are needed past Arnold.

I drive a 4Runner with KO2s. Do I really need chains? It is not my first time driving in snow but it's the first time I am going somewhere that says you need chains. Do most of you chain up when you go into snow?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
When I use to live there, when conditions mandated the hi-po would check before you could pass. No chains, you got turned around. Iirc they didn't care what you were driving

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
Honestly I don't remember. We never went up there during the winter because of that. We got turned around lol. We always went snowboarding at Mt. High. Roads were a lot better.

Things I look back and regret

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

There will likely be a chain check. I have lived up in lake arrowhead area my entire life and I've only ever had to chain up a 4wd one time to make it home, as required by chp. I carry chains at all times.. However they do not fit my oversized tires. But.. I do have chains... And that's all I care about.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

I know up here in washington they require chains or traction tires (has the snowflake symbol)on everything except awd vehicles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bluefox

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

@O.Dfj has it correct. You need M+S labeled tires and 4WD during chain control sections. Anything else and you need to chain up. If conditions are so bad that the 4WD equipped vehicles with M+S tires need chains, the highway will just close.

I was coming home from Reno last year during a storm and went through chain control. The guy kept asking to see my 4WD button and I repeatedly told him "There is no 4WD button, it's full time 4WD." I don't know if he actually knew it or not, but after the third time asking, he said "I know, I know. Go ahead".

Reactions: Luxolander

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

@O.Dfj has it correct. You need M+S labeled tires and 4WD during chain control sections. Anything else and you need to chain up. If conditions are so bad that the 4WD equipped vehicles with M+S tires need chains, the highway will just close.

I was coming home from Reno last year during a storm and went through chain control. The guy kept asking to see my 4WD button and I repeatedly told him "There is no 4WD button, it's full time 4WD." I don't know if he actually knew it or not, but after the third time asking, he said "I know, I know. Go ahead".
Thats odd i went through reno a few years back must have been 8 inches of fresh poweder on the roads just me in my 4wd ram with bald ass tires and a snow plow on the road tho.(this was at like 10pm lol) Never seen one chain up director man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Don't forget, that it is state law(CA that is) that requires you to just carry them. You may not be required to use them...

Last edited: