Smittybilt Scout Redesign Coming 2019 | Page 2 | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Smittybilt Scout Redesign Coming 2019

Discussion in 'Overland Trailers' started by CZHipster, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Guest, Did you know you can change the look of your Overland Bound forums? At the bottom of this page look for the Style Chooser! All previous and new light and dark themes are available. Pick something you like!
Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Bulwinkle

Bulwinkle Rank I

Map
    Update: I just got off the phone with Chas in customer service at Smittybilt. Not only have redesigned the tongue, but also have changed manufactures. SO... they now expect deliver in CA in February. Anyone who had placed an order will get a unit, and it sounded like they were not taking any more orders at this time. He said to call back in January to see if they had better info. That puts a crimp in any shop time over the winter for the upgrades I have planned.

Kent R likes this.
  2. kootsfrontier

kootsfrontier Rank 0

Map
    When these trailers came out, we looked at them. We ended up going with a GoFSR overlander. We love it. Our decision was based on the fact that other then the air compressor any smitty product we bought failed quickly, and the doors all seemed to open the wrong way for us. The only issue we have had with our GoFSR was the locks did not come lubed enough, a quick shot of graphite and they have been no problem

3. Brian B1973

Brian B1973 Rank 0

Map
    I like my trailer a lot. The only downside I see is the tongue weight....I make sure to take that into mind when I loadout.

20181216_095432.jpeg 20181216_095503.jpeg 20181216_095445.jpeg

4. Catabler

Catabler Rank 0

I would like to see a beefed up tongue and a rear spare tire mount swing out to decrease tongue weight.

5. Brian B1973

Brian B1973 Rank 0

Map
    I think a tiremount can be fabed to fit the trailer hitch in back....I have no issues with the tongue other than wanting the 360 ° hitch

6. Jeff B

Jeff B Rank II

Member #:

Map
    There is a manufacturer that makes swing out tire carriers for hitch mounts, from this company https://www.wilcooffroad.com/, not sure about the quality as I have not seen any, but it looks cool.

7. resqr1

resqr1 Rank I

Member #:

Yep. If you like the $900 price tag that comes with it. They have an ad out there that shows the hitch with the swingout carrier. Even has a link for instructions for the carrier. $249. But when you order that they tell you it is only the accessory mount for that hitch...even though it specifically shows the entire assembly and instructions. I was going to get one for my Suburban until they told me the hitch itself is $900. No thanks. I can get an entire bumper with a swingout for that.

8. Jeff B

Jeff B Rank II

Member #:

Map
    Wow, I didn't realize they were that much

9. Bulwinkle

Bulwinkle Rank I

Map
    Smittybilt Scout Trailer:
    I just got off the phone with Smittybilt and they are now saying that it will be @ 45 days from now for them to hit CA.

10. Paul Robertson

Member #:

Map
    I have the Scout trailer and really like it aside for the frame issue. On one hand it is a great value and i give it a pass on many things because of the cost. One thing I do expect is for the frame to be solid, given its intended use. The response from SB has been split, in some cases good and in some cases poor. Good in that they appear to be standing behind their product, poor in that we are almost 6 months after the first public post and no fix is available that I am aware of. I also feel that knowing that they had structural issues they should have notified owners promptly, which they did not.

If they get this issue behind them I would whole heatedly endorse the trailer, I realize mistakes happen and product development is hard (ask me about my day job). 20180901_111202.jpg

11. Bulwinkle

Bulwinkle Rank I

Map
    I am also hoping that the new manufacturer has done a good job. To wait as long as I have and be part of a new roll out is concerning. I am fortunate as we have a good shop with all the tools to make some changes that I have been planning, but hope not to keep it together. I did not know they were not made in US, that is not necessary bad, but there are so many small fab shops, I imagine they could have found one and been home grown.

I plan to add the SB SRC tire carrier YK TJ. Put on a few receiver tubes under to mount to. Maybe add a trash pack to the rear mounted tire. Looking to add an awing and some drop down work areas over the fenders. The Habitat company has made some smart upgrades to look at on Youtube. Glad to hear that overall you are pleased with the Scout. Let me know if you have made an changes or have found things that could be improved.

12. Joseph Watkins

Member #:

Map
    Brian B1973 likes this.
  13. McGrizzly

McGrizzly Rank IV
    Benefactor

Member #:

Map
    The biggest issue I had with this trailer is the "ability to adjust the tent height". which you cant. its to heavy and awkward. I made a solution and it works great. lets me park it in the garage, and gives me 8" when we go out.

Attached Files:

14. Brian B1973

Brian B1973 Rank 0

Map
    Thats actually a great idea....How hard is that to compress down?

15. McGrizzly

McGrizzly Rank IV
    Benefactor

Member #:

Map
    So I did the math from all the tent and bars and found that having 50 lbs a shock was good. Oddly enough its harder to pull it down then lift it up. (meaning physics was wrong for some reason because even 20 lbs less than the total weight, it still holds the tent and wants to extend out) I believe the bar that slides into the side is crooked, so both sides do not fit straight down. You have to wiggle it up and down a little, if that makes sense. BUT i made my wife little handles that she can screw in to one side and all you do is pull the pins out (which i bought with eye hooks for easy removal) and just lift up and boom. almost no effort, just a little jimmy back and forth.

the trick is getting the screws inside the channel strut because i have an awning also, so thats three pieces of metal you have get a nut inside of. unless you get bolts for shocks that are 3" long. pm me i can explain that more if you are interested.

so many different pressures for the shocks and so many options you need to do a little math as far as the lift open and closed clearly. hopefully that helps.