Launch Member

Explorer I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Hey guys, so I'm trying to replace the mattress in my overlander. I bought a memory foam mattress topper but I don't think it's quite dense enough. What have you done/what's your plan to replace it?

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Hey guys, so I'm trying to replace the mattress in my overlander. I bought a memory foam mattress topper but I don't think it's quite dense enough. What have you done/what's your plan to replace it?
Is the mattress bad, or are you just wanting to replace it? I put a 2 inch memory foam topper over the original mattress, and it works fine for me. I'm 6'4" 210lbs. I wouldn't go any larger than 2 inch though, because it is a little more effort to close the RTT now.

RoverLander

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
MacGregor
Member #

I'm using a 2" eggcrate memory foam topper on mine. Seems to be fine so far. I bought some fitted sheets to keep everything in place.

23ZERO Fitted Sheets

They are slightly bigger than the Smittybilt (sized for Tepui), but the mattress topper adds some bulk, and you can always put sheet straps on the corners.

Last edited:

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I added Exped inflatable mattresses. Getting ready to ditch the original RTT mattress all together and probably just lay down some dense 3/4” foam under the sleeping pads for the area that lacks coverage from the pads and for during setup/tear down. Should also give me more space when folded. Hoping to be able to keep full sized pillows inside when closed.