Small solar trickle charger? please comment if you have experience w/ this!

• HTML tutorial

NM95Bronco

Rank III

Member I

First Name
greg
Last Name
green
Member #

Alright members,
So I have to admit I don't daily drive the Bronco as much as I would like, but this ole 1995 5.0 Bronco eats the gas $$$$
I have a viper alarm on the rig, which drains the battery really slowly, and I just replaced my battery with a yellow top AGM by Optima.

I know, I know, drive it a bit each week to keep the amps up, but is there a backup plan in case I am gone for a bit longer?

Has anyone had luck with solar trickle chargers that have their own controller built in? I am looking into a few that have hundreds of reviews in the positive, but
I would like to hear opinions from like-minded people who aren't potentially amazon bots!

Let me know your thoughts on this.

=)

solarchargerama.jpg

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I'm assuming the Bronco is parked outside? Solar is definitely a good option, if you don't want to mess with routine driving to charge the battery. You can add a charge controller if you're concerned about overcharging. Otherwise, use a smart charger to trickle charge. Only issue with smart chargers is that they won't charge if the battery voltage falls below a minimum, usually about 10.5V.

Solar Charge controller

Last edited:

NM95Bronco

Rank III

Member I

First Name
greg
Last Name
green
Member #

I am going to try one that has a controller and an anti-reverse charge diode on a separate battery to see how effective it is, before it goes on my rig. CYA right

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My buddy has something like that one. He leaves it on the dash where it will get light a good part of the day. His battery still lost charge. It turns out, he plugged it into the cigarette lighter which is disconnected from power with the key off.
I gave him some magnets. It now sits on his hood, with clamps to his battery

bcmedicxj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Vonore, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRKP 397 Groundhog
Service Branch
EMS
I've used this one since last April and it has worked very well. Amazon has it for about $110.00. It was $85 last year...inflation I guess. I maintain a deep cycle battery that I keep stored in my trailer box for my 12v power source at night.solar charger.jpg

NM95Bronco

Rank III

Member I

First Name
greg
Last Name
green
Member #

Excellent. I purchased a bluetooth battery monitor off amazon for 24 bucks, I'll get an alert when or if it's low, and can monitor it.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Keeping your AGM battery topped off is the best thing you can do for it. At home I use a Schumacher 3 amp charger/maintainer. Not cheap. At camp we keep em topped off with a solar array and a Renogy Adventurer controller. It's a little more money but I'd go with a separate 20 watt panel ( 30 bucks or so ) and an inexpensive Renogy controller, (10 amps for 20 bucks) That way if you ever decide to go with solar power at camp, it's all there and ready to go, just get a bigger panel. It's kinda like home stereo components, separate amps, integrated amps, receivers, etc are always better than integrated receivers. Good luck with your search.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

If you’re going to be gone for a while, why not just remove the battery, put it in your garage and use a trickle charger? I do this with the lead acid deep cycle battery for my trailer’s solar system in winter. I have a Schumacher SC1280, which cost about $50 from Amazon. 15v rapid charge/3v float charge, controller to prevent overcharging. Schumacher has a variety of products.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Following this thread because I need some solar chargers. I have way too many batteries to keep up. I love my Schumacker chargers, I have two of these since most of my batteries/chargers can be connected to the grid. This one is really light and portable:

I didn't pay quite that much but everything is getting more expensive. Still worth it. I reckon solar is getting more expensive too. Solar seems good for maintaining but sometimes my problem is recharging trolling batteries when fishing multiple days in remote locations. Only answer I can come up with is either multiple backup batteries or use a generator which is also problematic. Li ion batteries charge quick but to dang aspensive for most uses. I do have one 1000 watt/hr Li that I have contemplated plugging the charger into to charge a bank on a boat that can't be swapped.

Technology seems to be advancing rapidly with solar. What I need is the thin, light, flexible panels to mount on my hood, roof, RTT, etc., to keep my Li Ion with built in controller charged. I know it's out there, just haven't talked to anyone who is doing it. Anyone? Weight and durability is my main concern for that application.

Reactions: ZombieCat

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I realize this is a bit off the main topic, but @FishinCrzy brings up several important points regarding solar panels: Durability vs. weight and positioning of the panels. I currently use two 300w Jackery power stations with 100w panels. I’d originally ordered the Rockpals setup, but the flimsy (yet lightweight) solar panels were a no-go for many areas of the western U.S. due to windy conditions. Yes, Wyoming, I’m talking about you…and sometimes California. The Jackery panels are a bit heavier, but their rigidity seems to render them a bit sturdier. I either tie them flat to the rack on top of my trailer or use tent stakes/guy lines to anchor them to the ground. The actual power station is kept inside the trailer or truck. They’ve held through some pretty harsh winds, so no complaints.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
There are options available like these:

Lots of $ for the watts though. Hard to justify that. I have two hundred watt panels that I have never really used because they are just a little too heavy to haul around. Doable but... Good for backup when the apocalypse comes.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

There are options available like these:

Lots of $ for the watts though. Hard to justify that. I have two hundred watt panels that I have never really used because they are just a little too heavy to haul around. Doable but... Good for backup when the apocalypse comes.
That is a nice system, and it's available for more than Tacos, but sure costs a lot of tacos...

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
This looks like what I've been looking for. Seems like a fairly new product from Renology.

Now, if I can figure out how to secure it on my RTT? Anyone have any insights?

Reactions: Viking1204

NM95Bronco

Rank III

Member I

First Name
greg
Last Name
green
Member #

Amazing replies so far everyone! as for RTT I think the question is what rtt you have and if its a shell its obvious, but if it's not then maybe hang it? I have a renogy 175 thats semi flexible.. and i use that for my jackeries,,,,. but a rooftop tent is a challenge.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
This looks like what I've been looking for. Seems like a fairly new product from Renology.

Now, if I can figure out how to secure it on my RTT? Anyone have any insights?
On a previous rig I used “eternabond roof seal” to essentially tape the panel to the top of my rtt
They were both flat so it worked well
No leaks, pooling, any issues for the three years they were attached

I now have a condor overland
I have a cheap set of unistrut crossbars that mount to the panels (rigid) and then to the T track on the tent it is a bit bulkier but allows me to keep the panel of when around town and not needing the extra weight

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
I use this from amazon mounted up on top of the vehicle (the roof rack) , has worked really well for past 2 years

1676407088895.png

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Not a bad deal right now for a Renogy 50w flexible panel and controller. Would need a short run of cable but that's easy enough.
1676408106326.png
1676408126199.png

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've been using a Battery Tender 10W solar charger I place in the windshield and plug in to the lighter port. Keeps my AGM above 95% at all times.