Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I have an old Coleman 0° mummy that my dad used when I was in scouts. I recently bought my 4yo daughter an 18° Teton bag. We camped in 35° weather a few weeks ago,and she stayed toasty warm.

I liked hers so much, I bought a 0° bag for myself. My wife's going to try the mummy in a couple of weeks since she like to burrito herself.

Christopher Hersey

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Roseville, CA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Hersey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6GTB
I’d definitely check out Wiggy’s bags. I have two, a 20 degree and a 40 degree. Both are plenty warm and are made in Colorado. Buying American made is always I plus in my book. (Non-Americans aren’t as concerned with that of course) Even if you don’t go with one of their bags, watch some of the videos on his site explaining the difference in bag construction and insulation materials. It’s pretty eye-opening.

Reactions: J.W.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Not to throw a wrench in your plans and research, but have you looked into sleeping quilts? These are very popular within the lightweight backpackers world. They are often made to very high standards with the best materials available in order maximize warmth,comfort, space savings. They are not for everyone but if it is for you it can provide an amazing upgrade over the traditional sleeping bag especially outside of deep cold weather camping. They also are flexible in use so they can fix many situations and used allowing one to vent if too warm or button up for extra warmth. They can have potential lead time for construction but it can be well worth it. I have experience with these brands and find them to be good value and quality with options at different price points. Hammock Camping Outfitters | Hammock Gear

If you want to get into even more premium brands check out these three brands which also offer some bag options.

I love my quilt so much I use it every. Ugly even at home.

Reactions: OverLamb24

Dirt-Merchant

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
First
Last Name
Last
Ham/GMRS Callsign
[Private]
What I tell everyone is if you only are going to have 1 bag get a 0˚ mummy bag from a well known brand. Synthetic/Down up to you depending on use case. That way you are covered in cold climates/snow, and on summer trips you can unzip it and use it as a blanket and be just fine...

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
What I tell everyone is if you only are going to have 1 bag get a 0˚ mummy bag from a well known brand. Synthetic/Down up to you depending on use case. That way you are covered in cold climates/snow, and on summer trips you can unzip it and use it as a blanket and be just fine...
Our 0F bag is super comfy. It's also super huge, but it's a double bag. Our summer (32F survival rating) bag is also a double/queen size bag. Quite the difference in size when packed up. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a mummy bag, but would recommend a bag that has a survival rating 20F below the lowest expected temperatures of where someone will be sleeping. If a bag only has one temp rating then that will be the survival rating. You won't be comfortable but you'll survive. The comfort rating is usually about 20F or so higher than the survival rating. Sleeping bag style is largely personal preference. I can't stand the confined feeling of a mummy bag, the double bags work great for one or two people (of a reasonable size), if it's just one person all the time then whatever style is most comfortable with the "correct" temperature rating will do best. The 0F bag isn't one I would use in hot weather, though. It's just way too hot. Up in Colorado where it gets down into the 30s and 40s at night in the summer and it's great.

20201014_204001 (Large).jpg

Reactions: OverLamb24

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Sleeping bag style is largely personal preference. I can't stand the confined feeling of a mummy bag, the double bags work great for one or two people (of a reasonable size), if it's just one person all the time then whatever style is most comfortable with the "correct" temperature rating will do best.
You're absolutely right, personal preference is key. I'm fine with a mummy bag. My wife says her "feet get claustrophobic" so she has to have a traditional square bag. HAHA

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

Not to throw a wrench in your plans and research, but have you looked into sleeping quilts? These are very popular within the lightweight backpackers world. They are often made to very high standards with the best materials available in order maximize warmth,comfort, space savings. They are not for everyone but if it is for you it can provide an amazing upgrade over the traditional sleeping bag especially outside of deep cold weather camping. They also are flexible in use so they can fix many situations and used allowing one to vent if too warm or button up for extra warmth. They can have potential lead time for construction but it can be well worth it. I have experience with these brands and find them to be good value and quality with options at different price points. Hammock Camping Outfitters | Hammock Gear

If you want to get into even more premium brands check out these three brands which also offer some bag options.

I love my quilt so much I use it every. Ugly even at home.
Since most are custom you can choose the patterns. I have seen some awesome ones like a bruised banana or green bean pod. Some of the best sleep i can remember have involved my quilt. Here are a few pics of my quilts that allow me 4 seasons of use.

One thing to note is that REI is having their memorial day sale now with coupons. Their magma sleeping bag offerings are quality and top notch materials especially good value when on sale. My wife uses the Magma 15 and loves it. I have used it before and it is very nice for those that like that bundled up feel. REI also makes a quilt in the same line.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose