Single burner or two burner on the trail?

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I currently have a 2 burner camp stove, it takes up a lot of space. Do you guys run a single or two burner stove? What brand/model?
Pros/cons?

I really would like to slim down some of my gear when I am on trails because my XJ lacks in the storage department haha.

afootorafloatLJ

Rank VIII
Launch Member
Supporter

Trail Blazer I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Calhoun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7FKK
One burner... when I am cramped for space I pack a backpack just like I'm going backpacking for each person in the vehicle. This also makes setting up camp quick and easy. Jet Boil or MSR whisperlite.

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

We like 2 burner. That said, its easy for us with a large truck. We originally used a Camp Chef pro 60 https://www.campchef.com/stoves/14-cooking-systems/pro-60-deluxe-two-burner-stove.html . That stove is great for staying in one place for a long time or with a large group.

For our future overlanding trips we are slimming down to a Camp Chef Ranger II https://www.campchef.com/stoves/mountain-series-stoves/ranger-ii-two-burner-stove.html

I like to be able to cook multiple things and have everything ready to serve hot.

Reactions: H2OBound

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

We like 2 burner. That said, its easy for us with a large truck. We originally used a Camp Chef pro 60 https://www.campchef.com/stoves/14-cooking-systems/pro-60-deluxe-two-burner-stove.html . That stove is great for staying in one place for a long time or with a large group.

For our future overlanding trips we are slimming down to a Camp Chef Ranger II https://www.campchef.com/stoves/mountain-series-stoves/ranger-ii-two-burner-stove.html

I like to be able to cook multiple things and have everything ready to serve hot.

Those look really nice... Any pros or cons you have noticed on them? Example: For myself, my coleman 2 burner has some weird metal tube that connects the propane bottle that clunks around inside the stove when you disconnect it and iv'e lost it twice.

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

Pros for the big one: powerful, large cooking area, has built in legs, and side tables.

Cons: too damn big and heavy

I do not have the second one yet. Have held one for a moment at the store. So far the pros of that are small and light easily packed. Cons, needs to be placed on a table. I'll have to get back to you on its usability.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Pros for the big one: powerful, large cooking area, has built in legs, and side tables.

Cons: too damn big and heavy

I do not have the second one yet. Have held one for a moment at the store. So far the pros of that are small and light easily packed. Cons, needs to be placed on a table. I'll have to get back to you on its usability.
If i have Blue Steel 2.0 (my trailer) with me then a double burner isn't a big deal at all. But, when I don't have it I gotta find a compact solution. Other than a Jetboil. I already have a knock of one of those and love it.

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

I use a Coleman two-burner combo stove/grill. I use only the stove 90% of the time, but I do occasionally toast things on the grill. I could get by with a single-burner stove, but what I've got seems like a reasonable size.

If you're really strapped for space, maybe the Jetboil two-burner stove is worth it.

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

I recently purchased the COOK PARTNER 22" STOVE WITH WIND SCREEN. It is heavy duty and many say it looks and works like day one after 15 years. I prefer two burner because of the array of meals I can prepare. From spaghetti, to just Coffee pot/ oatmeal at same time. Plus, for me, it does not take up that much more room than a one burner.

My three cents, it is one of those things, kind of like recovery gear; I might not need it every time, but when I do need it, at least I have it!

Cheers

Reactions: Ironhide Fx4

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

I think it really comes down to your style of going out. Is it just you or are you going with a group/family? For simple trips look in a single backpacker style stove setup, very small and packable. If you are going with a group then a 2 burner (or more) stove is definitely going to be ideal.

Its all about your situation and what will fit your needs best.

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I feel that there would be a number of factors deciding if you take a single or double burner. Number of people in the group, are going it alone, any children in the party, type of food you cook can you cook it in one pot or do you need two pots, if needed would you have means of using another method to cook by ie open fire. It will come down on what you feel you can get away with.
Me I use a small homemade cooker using twigs etc, I always have in the vehicle a small single ring burner and 2 gas canister, if I have my family we use a coleman double burner.

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

have the 3 burner with me but just seem to use the single burner I have the most

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I can relate to the lack of space. I have a JKU so space is really premium. I still use a two burner stove. One burner would not work well for me since I am a multitasker by nature. I like to make my coffee while I cook my tofu scramble so they are both hot at the same time. I think that the best option for you is how often you will use it vs a campfire and what all you are cooking on it. My wife and I take road trips and find ourselves sleeping at rest areas where fire is too time consuming or not allowed. This means we break out the stove and whip up a hot meal in a jiffy and get back on the road.

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
I have a 2 burner 18" Partner Steel stove w/windscreen. They're made in Idaho about an hour away from where we live. It's a little on the heavy side but basically indestructible. We have a trailer now so room isn't that much of an issue but we used to store it in the gear boxes on the roof rack before that. For us, having 2 burners is key. Coffee + breakfast, saute + boil, etc. It's just really nice to have everything done at once and all hot at the same time.

Augie Eischen

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I have a 2 burner 18" Partner Steel stove w/windscreen. They're made in Idaho about an hour away from where we live. It's a little on the heavy side but basically indestructible. We have a trailer now so room isn't that much of an issue but we used to store it in the gear boxes on the roof rack before that. For us, having 2 burners is key. Coffee + breakfast, saute + boil, etc. It's just really nice to have everything done at once and all hot at the same time.
I have the same stove but with the split hinge so you can separate the two burner boxes. To accommodate larger skillets if need be. I big investment at 250 bucks but since I use it 100 + days of the year it's worth it.

Reactions: Dana Ramos

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I still use my backpacking setup of either a penny stove or my little snowpeak Ti, but use small titanium cookware. I have the option I can use both if need be. Perhaps a single Coleman-like cookstove and a small backpacker snowpeak burner backup, when you need it for a quick soup or coffee at a rest stop.

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

I have a two burner Coleman with a griddle, 10" skillet, and sauce pan. I also have a jet boil for instant hot water for coffee, tea, freeze dried hash browns. I also have a Camp Chef expedition three burner that I use when trailer / group camping that has a massive cast iron griddle. I have not packed it on any of the overland trips due to size.

Reactions: Ironhide Fx4

El Gigante Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

I have a 2 burner for cooking, as space is less of an issue. My chuck box was built around supporting that stove. However, I recently picked up a "version" of a whisperlite that I will be trying out for morning coffee or quick meals if I don't have the whole family with me. It is going to be a BOB stove.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Single burner if it is just me and The Varmints in the XJ. Two burner if it is the whole family in the Suburban.

Two burners means I can use the griddle and make pancakes for breakfast. Two burners also means I can cook pasta and sauce at the same time.

Single burner means meals need to cook in one pot.

I plan my menu according to which equipment I am taking.

My single burner is a Coleman Exponent. My dual burners are Coleman 425F suitcase stoves.

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

Two flames for me! 80s vintage Coleman propane double burner.

For breakfast, I fry on one and boil water on the other.

camp-stove-coleman.jpg

For dinner, again I fry on one and cook chili or boil water on the other.