US West Sierra Foothills Overlanders Monthly OLB meet-up/meeting.

• HTML tutorial

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Sorry guys & gals, in the process of moving to Coeur D’alene, Id. Political Asylum If any one has OB connections up there please pass them on. Mechanic s, trail groups, etc. on to another adventure…..
I was a political refugee as well

Reactions: Nuage_d88df3

Roger_10ffdc

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Orangevale, CA, USA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Seher
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6WMX
Service Branch
USMC
This will be a potluck with appetizers being the theme, also bring your beverage of choice.
We will have several propane fire pits and we will be able to get out of the cold inside of the distillery.
Don't forget to bring a chair!!!
New guy question, do we bring cooked and warmed appetizers ready to serve, or do we get to cook or reheat them tail gate style and serve them hot?

I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Roger

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
New guy question, do we bring cooked and warmed appetizers ready to serve, or do we get to cook or reheat them tail gate style and serve them hot?

I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Roger
Since this is a holiday get together it might be best to bring something ready to eat, we will be setting up the food in the distillery, and having the fire pits outside. I guess you could set up and cook something there then bring it in, and that would work also.

On a regular meeting night some members bring food to eat prior to the meeting.

Hope to see you there

David_e11daa

Rank III

Contributor III

San Francisco, California, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Hamilton
Sierra Foothills Overlanders OB Meet-Up
Holiday Gathering

Date - December 20, 2022
Location - Dry Diggings Distillery parking lot. El Dorado Hills
5050 Robert J Mathews Pkwy, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762, USA
Time, 1900 hrs -2030 hrs

This will be a potluck with appetizers being the theme, also bring your beverage of choice.
We will have several propane fire pits and we will be able to get out of the cold inside of the distillery.
Don't forget to bring a chair!!!

No formal presentation or educational items are planned but we will be talking about next year's training and trips, so bring your ideas.

Talking about trips, let's get some adventure planned for 2023. If you are willing to organize a trip, throw out a date and lets get the calendar filled up.

NEXT MEETING: January 17, 2023, 1900 hrs: (most members get there early to set up)
Topic will be camp lighting; portable, fixed, personal lights that you use around camp. Bring what you use!
Yes Neil you can bring your flashlights ;-)
Wish these meetings were not a Tuesday.. Ive been to the Livermore meet and will be going to the Modesto meet this Sunday. Looking forward to connect more in the OB community.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Wish these meetings were not a Tuesday.. Ive been to the Livermore meet and will be going to the Modesto meet this Sunday. Looking forward to connect more in the OB community.
Keep an eye out for our trips and weekend training sessions next year.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks to everyone that braved the cool weather last night to come out to the Sierra Foothills Overlanders holiday gathering. We all had a great time with lots of food and conversation, got to catch up with long time friends and new friends.
Aaron Copland brought two propane fire pits and that made for not only much needed heat but also some atmosphere. Cris Steller had Dry Diggings open so we could warm up and use the facilities. “Special thanks to Aaron and Cris”

I got to catch up with @Magic Mike & @Firemom about their last tour around the US and AK. I was especially interested in their AK info since we are thinking about that trip for next year. If you aren't following them on IG, FB or YouTube check them out @Ironhorseoverland they have some great adventures planned over the next couple of years.

January meet-up; This will be the start to our monthly training/education series for 2023.
Deb Lee, retired Sac City FF/Paramedic will go over some first aid basics and some minimum first aid bag items.

February meet-up; We will concentrate on camp lighting so bring what you use around the campsite for illumination. We will be highlighting some lights from Wagan Tech. @AlexAtWagan

Our trip calendar needs to be filled up, so bring your ideas and lets get some trips planned!!

Happy Holidays everyone and we will see you next year
@Kent R
Kent@Overlandbound.com

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Thanks to everyone that braved the cool weather last night to come out to the Sierra Foothills Overlanders holiday gathering. We all had a great time with lots of food and conversation, got to catch up with long time friends and new friends.
Aaron Copland brought two propane fire pits and that made for not only much needed heat but also some atmosphere. Cris Steller had Dry Diggings open so we could warm up and use the facilities. “Special thanks to Aaron and Cris”

I got to catch up with @Magic Mike & @Firemom about their last tour around the US and AK. I was especially interested in their AK info since we are thinking about that trip for next year. If you aren't following them on IG, FB or YouTube check them out @Ironhorseoverland they have some great adventures planned over the next couple of years.

January meet-up; This will be the start to our monthly training/education series for 2023.
Deb Lee, retired Sac City FF/Paramedic will go over some first aid basics and some minimum first aid bag items.

February meet-up; We will concentrate on camp lighting so bring what you use around the campsite for illumination. We will be highlighting some lights from Wagan Tech. @AlexAtWagan

Our trip calendar needs to be filled up, so bring your ideas and lets get some trips planned!!

Happy Holidays everyone and we will see you next year
@Kent R
Kent@Overlandbound.com
Great meetup, was really nice seeing everyone and meeting new members, Merry Christmas everyone

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Here is an opportunity for a local Ham class and test put on by the Rubicon Trail Foundation.

Email from John Arenz
You are receiving this email because you expressed interest in RTF’s Rubicon centric Ham radio class. If you want off this mail list, let me know, I’m happy to pull you off.

Here is the class info:

Ham Radio is the very best way to communicate on the Rubicon and other trails. It is literally a lifesaver!!! The class makes it easy.

This class, sponsored by Rubicon Trail Foundation, is designed to take you from zero to HAM radio operator in no time at all. It will be held in the Sacramento Valley area, in El Dorado Hills.

The dates are:

Class: January 21st, 2023, 9:00AM until 5:00PM, with a 1 hour lunch break – in this session, Barb will give you everything you need to know to pass the test…help you through the hard stuff, show you how to study the easy stuff, and where to look for info between classes. You should expect to be in class all day and you’ll learn a ton of stuff! She’ll also give you info on how to study for the test the easy way.

Test: February 4th, 2023, 9:00AM until about 2:00PM – in this session, an examiner team will meet you when you arrive. They’ll administer the test, and after you have passed, John will teach you stuff about using your radio in the practical world and give you a bunch of info about getting emergency help, setting up your radio, and using it in the Rubicon as well as general info for other areas. You’ll leave the session with all the tools you need to get started, including a radio, if you want one.

Radios: Once again we will offer a “group buy” price on the Yaesu FT-60 portable radio and/or Yaesu FTM-400 mobile radio. We don’t make any money on this, we’re just trying to get radios into the hands of OHV users. After you sign up, more info will be made available on that. These are the same radios we have offered in the past, and have proven to be durable, practical, easy to program and understand, and work very well.

Cost: The cost for the class is the $35.00 charge for your FCC license due on test day, plus the cost of the book below…that’s it! I will get prices for the radios as the date gets closer and will put that out via email to those that have signed up.

Book: The book you need is the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual, 5th edition. It MUST be the most current book (question pool good through June 16, 2022, as identified on page viii). I believe they are cheapest at Amazon.com. and fastest from Ham Radio Outlet. You MUST have the new (June 16, 2022 question pool) version of the book as you won’t be able to follow the class without it AND the questions on the test are different! ISBN: 978-1-62595-155-7

Sign up for the class by emailing me with your name, address, phone number, and preferred email address at John.Arenz@RubiconTrailFoundation.org. Because you are on the email list DOES NOT mean you are signed up!!! You MUST sign up in order to be in the class and receive further emails.

John Arenz
Director
Rubicon Trail Foundation
John.Arenz@RubiconTrailFoundation.org
530-651-3028

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Sierra Foothills Overlanders
Monthly Overland Bound Meet-Up

Date - January 17, 2023
Location - Dry Diggings Distillery parking lot or inside. Bring a chair
GPS - 38.62280 -121.05942
3 Word Nav - Traffic.unfold.salsa
Time, 1900 hrs -2030 hrs

INTRODUCTIONS:
Get to know members and the rigs they drive.

GENERAL DISCUSSION:
  • Past trips/runs
  • Training/presentation ideas
  • Adopted trail maintenance, Dave Dingal will talk about the Long Canyon OHV trail in the El Dorado NF
PRESENTATION:
N/A

TRAINING:
Topic; First Aid, what you need to know about what you don't know.
Deb Lee, retired Firefighter Paramedic from Sac City and full time overlander @ironhoseoverland. Deb will talk about what training you should get and what needs to be in your first aid kit.

If you don't need the first aid info then Mike Lee will be there to talk about all their awesome adventures and what they have planned for 2023. You can follow them on all the social platforms @ironhorseoverland and on the forum, Mike @Majic Mike and Deb @Firemom

UPCOMING TRIPS:
We need people to set some dates and locations for trips. One day and longer would be great.
Gary Jillson will do Death Valley this year?
March, Mojave National Preserve Overland Bound Trail Guardian
Overland Expo, Flagstaff AZ & Bend OR
September, Richardson Lake crawdad feed. (cross your fingers for no fires)

NEXT MEETING: February 21, 2023, 1900 hrs: (most members get there early to set up)
Topic will be camp lighting; portable, fixed, personal lights that you use around camp. Bring what you use!
Yes Neil you can bring your flashlights ;-)

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We had a great meet-up last night.
Several members have stepped up to lead trips this year, we will be working to get a schedule out soon.
Deb Lee put on a very informative first aid talk she is defiantly a professional. Its always great when Deb and Mike are in town and make it to a meetup.
Once again special thanks to Cris Steller for the use of Dry Diggings Distillery to get us out of the cold.

See everyone next month, topic is camp lighting. We will talk about what you use around the campsite, portable and fixed.

Pictures by @Lucy R & @Klinton Kehoe
sfo 2.jpgSFO 1.jpg

Reactions: Christopher Hersey

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
We had a great meet-up last night.
Several members have stepped up to lead trips this year, we will be working to get a schedule out soon.
Deb Lee put on a very informative first aid talk she is defiantly a professional. Its always great when Deb and Mike are in town and make it to a meetup.
Once again special thanks to Cris Steller for the use of Dry Diggings Distillery to get us out of the cold.

See everyone next month, topic is camp lighting. We will talk about what you use around the campsite, portable and fixed.

Pictures by @Lucy R & @Klinton Kehoe
View attachment 248612View attachment 248613
Thank you Kent. It was great to see everyone.
Wanted to update. I told everyone Epi Pens are in the $500+ range if not covered by insurance. Found out today, new laws decreased that price. You can now get an Epi Pen with a Drs. Prescription for just over $100 when you use a Good RX coupon. Still expensive but way better then $500+

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Date - February 21, 2023
Time, 1900 hrs -2030 hrs

INTRODUCTIONS:

GENERAL DISCUSSION:
  • Past trips/runs
  • Adopted trail maintenance, Dave Dingal will talk about the Long Canyon OHV trail in the El Dorado NF
PRESENTATION:
General discussion about camp lighting, bring what you use on, in and around your rig. This includes flashlights and headlamps.

TRAINING:
Talk about setting a date for a Saturday at Prairie City.
  • Off road driving over obstacles
  • Winching and straps
UPCOMING TRIPS:
We need people to set some dates and locations for trips. One day and longer would be great.
Gary Jillson will do Death Valley this year?

NEXT MEETING: March 21, 2023, 1900 hrs: (most members get there early to set up)
Topic TBD

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Another great meetup at Dry Diggings Distillery.
Had a good talk about camp lighting, highlighted by the Wagan Tech lights and got to see some very trick flashlights.
Good turnout about 25 rigs with one monster G wagon on portals. For those that might not be familiar with Portal axles Portal axle - Wikipedia. This thing is an absolute beast, I hope to someday see it in action.

Attachments

Reactions: MGpoolguy82

Nuage_d88df3

Rank I

Contributor II

First Name
text
Last Name
text

This is a Monthly meet-up Everyone is welcome! Our events are social, family friendly, with the goal of teaching essential overlanding skills you will need on the trail or while you travel! We conduct training/practice sessions (see below), frequently have guest speaker subject matter experts, and also share DIY how-to\'s to create your own kit, schedule monthly overland trips or trail runs,! Of course, we also have fun. Stop on by!
Meeting starts at 1900 hrs. Locations vary due to Covid restrictions so check for this months location below.
Please contact @Kent R on our forums for more information!
The Sierra Foothills Overlanders have also adopted the Long Canyon OHV trail in the El Dorado NF, we conduct 4 cleanups per year with one overnight. For more information contact @DaveD on the forum.

text

MGpoolguy82

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Carmichael, Sacramento County, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grenier
Member #

Another great meetup at Dry Diggings Distillery.
Had a good talk about camp lighting, highlighted by the Wagan Tech lights and got to see some very trick flashlights.
Good turnout about 25 rigs with one monster G wagon on portals. For those that might not be familiar with Portal axles Portal axle - Wikipedia. This thing is an absolute beast, I hope to someday see it in action.
It was great to meet you Kent along with everyone else I meet that night. It was my first meet-up but not my last. So many awesome rigs.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
It was great to meet you Kent along with everyone else I meet that night. It was my first meet-up but not my last. So many awesome rigs.
Hope to see you at the March meet up. Remember is you have training topics you want to see us do or you might want to teach please just message me and I will put them on a list for this year.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Date - March 21, 2023
Time, 1900 hrs -2030 hrs

INTRODUCTIONS:

GENERAL DISCUSSION:
  • Past trips/runs
PRESENTATION:
Fire extinguisher discussion, please bring the extinguisher or extinguishers you use while on trips.

TRAINING:
Talk about setting a date for a Saturday at Prairie City.
  • Off road driving over obstacles
  • Winching and straps
UPCOMING TRIPS:
Gary Jillson will do Death Valley this year. November

NEXT MEETING: April 18, 2023, 1900 hrs: (most members get there early to set up)
Topic - pre-trip inspections
Location - will be at M&J Automotive in Diamond Springs. Mike Pyser has offered his new shop to go over pre-trip inspections.

Reactions: SacDirtDealer