Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have been using Glue Tread repair kits now for tire repair classes for a bout two years, I have found it to be a very useful tool to repair sidewall damage. It eliminates the need to remove the tire and sew the slit, install a Baja patch and re mount the tire. (huge pain in the A___)

Take a look at this article about the process, this is some good info:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Interesting. Thanks for sharing the experience.

So far only knew the patches that are vulcanized from the inside on the tire. On longer trips I always carry those, plus a tube and two long high quality tire levers. I am used to remove and assemble tires on motorcycle for many years using tire levers. On the motorcycle it's easy, but especially a heavy and strong Mud Terrain tire on a rig can be brutal work.

So a patch from the outside is of course very handy. What I carry in my tire repair kit is a sidewall slug from the ATV area. The sidewall slug is also a way to make an emergency repair off paved roads in case of a cut in the sidewall. As I said, it is actually designed for ATVs.

SidewallSlug.jpg

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've been looking at Glue Tread.
You say its been successful so far?

I've a couple of sidewalls with thin wire and a large patch. Dismounting a large non beadlock tire is a whole adventure by itself. Never heard the term "Baja" patch. Is that just a large rectangle patch?

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I didn't know about Glue Tread until last summer. It looked interesting so I went home and did some more research and it seems like everyone likes it. it was actually an offroad recovery stand at event I was at that had them. I haven't managed to pick any up myself but its on my list lol.

Reactions: Bad Sport

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Same here. have seen videos but never actually met anyone who used it.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I've been looking at Glue Tread.
You say its been successful so far?

I've a couple of sidewalls with thin wire and a large patch. Dismounting a large non beadlock tire is a whole adventure by itself. Never heard the term "Baja" patch. Is that just a large rectangle patch?
Yes just a large radial patch that goes over the sown area inside. Instead of wire we use Kevlar thread but the same outcome.
If I never have to take another tire off a rim I will be very happy.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Interesting. Thanks for sharing the experience.

So far only knew the patches that are vulcanized from the inside on the tire. On longer trips I always carry those, plus a tube and two long high quality tire levers. I am used to remove and assemble tires on motorcycle for many years using tire levers. On the motorcycle it's easy, but especially a heavy and strong Mud Terrain tire on a rig can be brutal work.

So a patch from the outside is of course very handy. What I carry in my tire repair kit is a sidewall slug from the ATV area. The sidewall slug is also a way to make an emergency repair off paved roads in case of a cut in the sidewall. As I said, it is actually designed for ATVs.

View attachment 252138
How do you use that thing?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
How do you use that thing?
The bolt and the rear half is inserted into the inside of the tire through the cut on the tire sidewall. Then, using the small rope and the threading aid, the bolt is pulled through to the outside and threaded into the other half. Then both bolted, inflate the tire, break off the bolt and cut the rope. Ready is the emergency repair. Her is a YT video about it:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The bolt and the rear half is inserted into the inside of the tire through the cut on the tire sidewall. Then, using the small rope and the threading aid, the bolt is pulled through to the outside and threaded into the other half. Then both bolted, inflate the tire, break off the bolt and cut the rope. Ready is the emergency repair. Her is a YT video about it:

I think I need to send you a Glue Tread Kit. ;-)