Dude
Member #

Waino

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Seattle
Member #

Very cool. I've been trying to work out a good cocktail setup for camping. This is at the top of the list now.

Reactions: Walleyeye

Shallow Water Steve

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coos Bay, OR
Member #

Very cool. I've been trying to work out a good cocktail setup for camping. This is at the top of the list now.
It's real easy to build just a little time consuming. Its a surplus 30MM can and then just poplar board from Home Depot that was ripped to fit snugly with 3/4inX3/4in legs that hold it off the bottom of the can in all 4 corners. Bought a cheap hole saw kit on Amazon and measured out my favorite bottles, mixers bitters, etc. After building a few of these, I bought better hole saws and it made a world of difference, but for the first one, the Amazon ones held up. Top tray is just screwed together and rests on more 3/4inX3/4in that is screwed in through the outside of the can in the middle of the handle. Threw some rubber non slip matting on the bottom of the can to keep it from rattling, along with little felt furniture pads on all corners of the top tray to keep it from rattling as well.

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

Love the design. I have several ammo cans laying around my garage. I will absolutly try my own design. Thank you for the idea. As for what i think....you could definatly make it for more than just building it for friends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Shallow Water Steve

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coos Bay, OR
Member #

Love the design. I have several ammo cans laying around my garage. I will absolutly try my own design. Thank you for the idea. As for what i think....you could definatly make it for more than just building it for friends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app
Thanks! I have sold one, but I’m getting ready to move cross country and don’t have the time to build any so I figured I’d just share the design for the greater good haha

Shallow Water Steve

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coos Bay, OR
Member #

Do you have any drawings or templates for the wood parts?
Unfortunately I don’t. I just bought 12in wide poplar board and measured the opening of the can. I think the can is around 11in wide so a bit has to be ripped off. Other than that I measured the diameter of my favorite bottles and picked the appropriate hole saw diameter and just spaced them evenly. It works best if you cut the board just a hair bigger than the can and sand it until it fits snugly but flush. I think the feet under the main platform are 2in long of just 3/4x3/4 pine trim. If you look closely you can see the screws holding the feet on the 4 corners of the main platform just to keep it from sliding down. The top tray is the same measurements as the bottom with the trim just screwed on top of it from the bottom side. Then you just measure where to top tray sits flush with the top of the can and add the two trim pieces on either side of the can. I drilled pilot holes and used metal screws coming in from the outside of the can and into the back of the top tray supports. I’ve done it with both 25mm and 30mm cans and with all different assortment size holes for mixers, bitters, specific bottles, etc so I’m afraid there was never a template. Finish is off with a nice stain and two coats of polyurethane and you’re set.

The cocktail shaker is oxo good grips from amazon and then generic stainless 10oz cups from amazon as well. Everything in the top tray I also grabbed from amazon. I forget what size the cutting board is but I just measured the tray and found one that fit.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

it's a sin in my book to cut good Bourbon with any mixers. I like my Bourbon straight up on ice.
Agreed, sometimes even no ice. My brothers and I used to sit out back by a fire ring with a bunch of different bourbons and blind taste test out of jiggers to see if we could tell one from another. Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace, even Jim Beam and such. Made for some pretty interesting evenings. They'd be smoking big ol' cigars, I'd just smoke my non-filters.

I prefer Scotch anyday though, over Bourbon, and drink it the same way; straight no ice, or rocks only, sometimes with water on the side. Bourbon can tend to make me more irascible. Ha!