Should we have a regional For Sale section?

• HTML tutorial

Should we petition the powers that be to give us a regional for sale thread/subforum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

This poll is good till the 22nd of this month. If we keep this thread relevant we will hopefully see more voting happen, thus getting a better sampling of what people think on this subject. So far the new sub forum vote is winning by 2 votes.

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

I vote yes. No voting option on the OB app though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using OB Talk mobile app
I noticed that as well. I wonder if the poll feature is something that can be done on the app or if the code is just too much? @Michael , What say you sir? Can the app be updated to include poll voting and results?

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Right, so we seem to have come to a consensus on the sub forum for sale thing. Moderators? What say you. Voting for the poll has closed. @Corrie Can we make this happen? Also, the poll voting doesn't appear to work on the mobile app. Just an FYI.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I vote no. Will add more clutter than what is necessary. Moderating everything we currently have is enough for us Staff, adding more is not necessary. I am, however not against posting ONE sticky at the top of the region for people to post "for sale" ads for their region. Downside, as previously stated is what if @Chris Jones is selling some bad-ass Izuzu hat over in the west forums, well I am Midwest so if I don't go over to look at their ads I would miss out. See my point? Centralized classifieds with people posting their location in the title would, in my opinion be best. Maybe make it to where you can narrow down the classifieds section by specific locations when searching? I am not sure if @Michael can make that happen?

Reactions: Anders0nic

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

I vote no. Will add more clutter than what is necessary. Moderating everything we currently have is enough for us Staff, adding more is not necessary. I am, however not against posting ONE sticky at the top of the region for people to post "for sale" ads for their region. Downside, as previously stated is what if @Chris Jones is selling some bad-ass Izuzu hat over in the west forums, well I am Midwest so if I don't go over to look at their ads I would miss out. See my point? Centralized classifieds with people posting their location in the title would, in my opinion be best. Maybe make it to where you can narrow down the classifieds section by specific locations when searching? I am not sure if @Michael can make that happen?
You missed the voting period...

However, input is what is needed to hash this out. Sticky or sub forum. The people have spoken for the sub forum.

In other forums that I am a member of, each region has its own moderator. That helps takes the load off of the main moderators.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I noted early on in this thread that not having a "no" option was a biased poll. And 13 votes out of 10,000 registered forum users, or even out of the few hundred that visit every day is not a consensus. You might have had 200 NO votes if it were an option.

Either way, @Michael and the staff have reviewed the idea, and elect not to add regional for sale forums. We recommend using the format popular on a lot of other forums for sale section: [TAG (For Sale, etc.)] - [State or Region] - Item description -[Shipping or Local]

Example FOR SALE: Ohio - Grand Piano, like new, $400 - Will Ship to contiguous 48 states for free

Using this format, you can tell at a glance whether is is local to you, or if you want to buy Chris' Isuzu hat, you'll know that he will ship it to you.

For what it's worth, of all the forums I belong to, none have regional classifieds. Even huge sites like TacomaWorld, T4R.org, and Expedition Portal do not have regional classifieds. A couple forums will delete any thread not in the approved format, which helps folks find items near them.

Regards,
Steve

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

The moderators have spoken!

Does this mean there is an approved format? I haven't seen it in action yet if there is.

Time to start cleaning up the for sale section then...

Please, don't take this as a negative response.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Does this mean there is an approved format? I haven't seen it in action yet if there is.
In our discussion of your poll, that is the suggested format we've arrived at. It is not a requirement, and won't be policed. I will post a thread in the For Sale forum asking forks to follow the format, though.

Thanks for bringing this need to our attention,
Steve

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

For what it's worth, of all the forums I belong to, none have regional classifieds. Even huge sites like TacomaWorld, T4R.org, and Expedition Portal do not have regional classifieds. A couple forums will delete any thread not in the approved format, which helps folks find items near them.

Regards,
Steve
T4R actually does, or at least the SoCal sub-forum has a stickied classifieds: LINK (for informational purposes). I've found it to be very helpful (bought an awning last Friday!), but I understand the decision not to do this. It is VERY helpful in for sale ads to have the title list the item's location.

Thanks for your work Steve.