Scanners

• HTML tutorial

The Traveling Shepherd

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Michigan
Member #

What has one in their truck/trailer and what is it ?
I'm interested in getting one and have been told the Uniden BCD536HP is a great scanner.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
When I am offroad, the last thing I want to do is mess with technology. I carry a cb and ham rig for emergencies.

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
I'll be following this one, I'd love to get a scanner for the truck but they do seem complicated for mobile operation. I use the ham for scanning analog FM on VHF/UHF sometimes when I think about it, pretty cool monitoring the fire dispatch and park ranger animal reports in national parks. And I actually ended up joining OB because I stumbled across a group in Alabama Hills last year by scanning FRS/GMRS and joined them on their Death Valley run.

It would be cool to get digital trunking, P25 etc going for emergency services, but I have no idea how all that works or if it's feasible to mess with while mobile.

The Traveling Shepherd

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Michigan
Member #

I'll be following this one, I'd love to get a scanner for the truck but they do seem complicated for mobile operation. I use the ham for scanning analog FM on VHF/UHF sometimes when I think about it, pretty cool monitoring the fire dispatch and park ranger animal reports in national parks. And I actually ended up joining OB because I stumbled across a group in Alabama Hills last year by scanning FRS/GMRS and joined them on their Death Valley run.

It would be cool to get digital trunking, P25 etc going for emergency services, but I have no idea how all that works or if it's feasible to mess with while mobile.
I want to monitor the fire/ems/weather, and park ranger for exactly what you said-animal sightings. I'm betting I could go with a handheld but I'm not sure if the range is sufficient or if I can hook up an external antenna.

Reactions: aearles