Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I am sorry, the link is technically working, but I'm just confused by the fact that this map looks more like the first map you shared than the "revision A" map you posted earlier. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Strange. Rev A was heading back South through Sweden, whereas now were coming back South through Finland.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Google Maps is beginning to frustrate me.
I can only have 10 layers (which includes the route layers), the route layers can only accommodate 10 destinations, therefore forcing you to create another layer and split the route into several segments, using up some of the available layers.
Looking now at transferring everything into Google Earth. Whatever I use, I need to be able to share it with the rest of the team and on here. So using other mapping software I have isn't much use in the planning stages.

Last edited:

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Trying to decide on route options travelling South through Finland. Current preference is for the more Eastern route, down through the lakes.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Now buried in the study of various travel guide books and maps, looking at adding detail to sections of the route.
Already considering getting off the E6 for some of the trip North through Norway, to add some roads closer to the coast, but also needing to be careful not to add too much time into each day's driving.
Think I'll be spending a lot of time on Google Earth and Youtube studying the roads and routes to see how viable they are.

This is starting to get a bit frustrating. There is so much we'd like to add in to the trip, but we have limited time to do the trip. I really don't want to miss out on too much, but at the same time, we have ground to cover.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Sorry for all the questions, but there's nothing like getting as much local knowledge as possible while planning.

We currently have 8 or 9 days planned to travel from Molde to Nord Kapp.
This is using the E6 most of the way and keeping our driving to around 4 to 5 hours per day, based on an average of 35mph (56 kph) while driving.
Is this a realistic estimate?
If we were to spend some of the time off the E6 and travel closer to the coast (Fv17) for example, would that slow us down much?

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
Now buried in the study of various travel guide books and maps, looking at adding detail to sections of the route.
This is starting to get a bit frustrating. There is so much we'd like to add in to the trip, but we have limited time to do the trip. I really don't want to miss out on too much, but at the same time, we have ground to cover.
That's the problem here, there is soooo much to see or soooo much you will miss.
I realize you will want to make up time by using E6 in Norway, but do take a few of the smaller roads along the coast if you can. The southern parts ok there will be more tourists but the further north you get the less tourists. One suggestion, at Mo i Rana, turn left and take Fv17 up to Fauske. You'll see the black ice there, a few ferry trips and lots of fjords and tunnels. Also I see that you'll be all the ways up to Kirkenes, while there take the time to go down to the 3 country boards for Finland/Norway/Russia, it's a nice 5km hike where you will be greeted by the Norwegian military.

We did a big trip through Norway/Sweden/Finland when I turned 50 in 2016, http://tukojack.blogspot.se/2016/07/
Our experience is that we drove too many mile for the trip as we missed so much. We decided afterwards that any long trips will be more focused in particular areas. This then gave us more reason to return to Norway and beyond. I have to say that we've been back to Norway 3 years in a row and already planning another trip for this year.

Another point is that you guys will be traveling with older Land Rovers, both the Norwegian and Swedish Land Rover Clubs have english section on their forums where you will find help if need be. Join them.

Reactions: nickburt

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

That's the problem here, there is soooo much to see or soooo much you will miss.
I realize you will want to make up time by using E6 in Norway, but do take a few of the smaller roads along the coast if you can. The southern parts ok there will be more tourists but the further north you get the less tourists. One suggestion, at Mo i Rana, turn left and take Fv17 up to Fauske. You'll see the black ice there, a few ferry trips and lots of fjords and tunnels. Also I see that you'll be all the ways up to Kirkenes, while there take the time to go down to the 3 country boards for Finland/Norway/Russia, it's a nice 5km hike where you will be greeted by the Norwegian military.

We did a big trip through Norway/Sweden/Finland when I turned 50 in 2016, http://tukojack.blogspot.se/2016/07/
Our experience is that we drove too many mile for the trip as we missed so much. We decided afterwards that any long trips will be more focused in particular areas. This then gave us more reason to return to Norway and beyond. I have to say that we've been back to Norway 3 years in a row and already planning another trip for this year.

Another point is that you guys will be traveling with older Land Rovers, both the Norwegian and Swedish Land Rover Clubs have english section on their forums where you will find help if need be. Join them.
Many thanks for the reply @Todd Jackson all very helpful. Will take a look at your blog.

Choices, choices.

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Hi @nickburt!

Just took a look at your route.
The following may be just my personal preferences, but if you like views and sceneries more than endless forests; I will recommend spending more time in Norway (and less in Sweden/Finland. (No offence neighbours.) Don't get me wrong, I love gravel roads and forests too, but you will get a lot of that anyways.)
I will also recommend to stay along the coast. The E6 is quite boring and flat, and going over to Aurland and Geiranger in the west and Kystriksvegen/Rv17 through Brønnøysund and Saltstraumen are better alternatives. And you CAN NOT pass Lofoten on your way to North Cape. Go all the way out to Å, you will not regret it.

Safe trips! And welcome to Norway! [emoji1189]

Don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions. :)

Doing my trip THIS july. Wouldn't mind you looking at the route and letting me know how to hit more dirt roads etc. Also any details on costs for the RV17 and timetables for the many ferries on it are greatly appreciated as currently that lack of info is whats pushing me to take the highway! Also would love to meet some other rigs along the way!

magnusbornes

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Trondheim, Norway
First Name
Magnus
Last Name
B
Member #

Doing my trip THIS july. Wouldn't mind you looking at the route and letting me know how to hit more dirt roads etc. Also any details on costs for the RV17 and timetables for the many ferries on it are greatly appreciated as currently that lack of info is whats pushing me to take the highway! Also would love to meet some other rigs along the way!
Sorry for late response. Haven't really logged in here for a while...

You will find ferry tables here:
Code:
 https://drive.google.com/file/d/16ELa7TlPQB13JBU1Yge-ugW6kHe68opc/view?usp=sharing
(Forum didn't like google drive links as url)
From page 144-ish.

If link is dead; go to http://kystriksveien.no and search for the PDF guide. I'm sure you can buy the guide in paper format when you get there too.

The ferries are not too expensive as long as your vehichle is < 6,00 meters long.
Use this neat spreadsheet to find out:
Code:
 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1St_BNpTGvAZwWgBuJbKybxXC-BdJLrVVszOGz2_h6pc/edit#gid=0
Again if link is dead; go to kystriksveien.no/fp
Summed up, it will be around 750 NOK or 75 GBP. With passengers maybe around 1000 NOK.

You can also take the ferry from Bodø to Moskenes, which is recommended if you're going to Lofoten anyways. That's a long ferry, and is more expensive. Maybe 700 NOK. This ferry may require preordered tickets, but we took the Skutvik–Svolvær-ferry last summer, and we ordered tickets just a couple of hours beforehand online.

Remember that the ferry prices is not that steep if you compare to the fuel prices!

Depending on when you are up there, maybe I will be in the area too. Keep us updated on where you are when. [emoji846]

Safe trips,
Magnus

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Good info @magnusbornes thank you.

We've been looking at our route again over the last few days, and it's about to get a re-vamp. Basically, a reverse of what we have planned already, with a few changes early in the trip to enable us to gain a few days for the southbound run from Nordkap, taking in more of the coast and islands.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Latest updates:
Google Map
Attached extract of route plan. The excel workbook this is from is growing arms and legs as we try to cover everything, from the route itself, to tolls, camps/cabin costs, fuel costs, kit, vehicle spares etc... etc... Probably over engineering it, but hey, why not ......

Attachments