Launch Member

Contributor I

Maine, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hi everyone, I’ve been wondering if any of you have ever had anything stolen or vandalized while your Jeep was parked at a trailhead and you were hiking? What about trouble at a campsite at night? My wife and I are heading to AZ next winter. Just curious.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

It's always a risk with a soft top since a box cutter can get you inside in about 3 seconds. I wouldn't say it's a common problem but it's all going to depend on where you are parking.

Reactions: maine-woodsman

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Any visible valuables attract thieves. The obvious are Maxx Trax on the side. Mountain bikes on the roof. But also the "hidden" treasures. Any IT device which is not powered off sends out a signal. A simple phone app will tell a theif exactly what that device is, and he can figure out front seat, back seat, left side, right side. Then he just breaks that window and rummages till he finds it. He doesn't even need to look in the windows, he just stands beside your truck, you figure he is texting but he is actually casing his next hit.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Honestly, I don't like to leave my Jeep and trailer unsupervised for any length of time. Too much stuff attached (including the trailer!) that could disappear in short order. If stopping to eat at a restaurant, I park it to where I can see it from inside the restaurant. If I'm camping, I'm there with it (unless I go to a latrine, and then I'm gone just a few minutes). If running into Walmart or a grocery store, I park where there are no other vehicles around, and make my trip quick. I'd never leave it at a trail head unless I was with a group, and someone was staying behind. And I'm paranoid if staying at a motel with the Jeep and trailer in the parking lot.

Honestly though, the place I'm least worried about it is at an organized campground where there's a fee to camp. I figure most folks are there to get away, and nobody's going to mess with you.

And I sleep easier knowing I'm armed in some way (firearm, bear spray, etc.).

For the record, I've never had anything stolen, messed with, had any scary situations, etc.

Overland Adventure.1.jpg

JORCAN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

The Woodlands, Texas, United States
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Cantres
Member #

I understand your concern. I have always been weary of leaving my campsite alone. I moved to AZ a year and a half ago from Miami. I have camped numerous times and here in AZ nothing has happened. Lost of people camp in public land here. Not saying it couldn't happen but from my short experience it would be rare.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm not typically too concerned with it. I figure most dirt bags are "shopping" at more populated areas than a secluded dispersed site down a dead end Forrest Service road. Then again some of the "local dirtbags" might know where to find these secluded spots as well. I figure it's always a crapshoot. I don't really leave my camp area for extended periods of time unless it's short hike but anything could happen in that time. I used to setup my campsite in Socal and jump on my motorcycle and go ride for a while and comeback and I never had anything come up missing.