Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I got more reading material today, i mentioned that being so close to Alaska when we finish the TAT I had entertained the idea of continuing N, NW to one of the items on my bucket list. I have always wanted to go to Alaska for as long as I can remember and discussing it with my ”Framily” the consensus was if I am still ok after doing the TAT, I should go for it. So, once we officially end the TAT trip, I will continue on to Alaska (if I can get through Canada)
63D1D93C-E776-4C0C-B8D4-FEE9A8DAF7D7.jpeg

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
You may be able to take a ferry from Bellingham, WA up to Alaska. I know the ferry stops in Haines (been there), but if you get off in Haines, you still have to drive through Canada to get back into Alaska. The Ferry may continue on to another port in Alaska that lets you stay there in Alaska. You'd still have to take the ferry back.

Last edited:

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

You can take a ferry from WA state as an alternative to the Canada route. From what I understand, people camp on the top deck.
I was reading online last week and there are/were a few points of entry that were allowing travel from the Canadian border to Alaska by car/truck but you were limited to certain routes and were given a certain amount of time to make your way through Canada to Alaska. I need to find someone to verify this (US or Canadian border agent) so I can start making concrete plans

Reactions: Solo Saga

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

You can take a ferry from WA state as an alternative to the Canada route. From what I understand, people camp on the top deck.
I was reading online last week and there are/were a few points of entry that were allowing travel from the Canadian border to Alaska by car/truck but you were limited to certain routes and were given a certain amount of time to make your way through Canada to Alaska. I need to find someone to verify this (US or Canadian border agent) so I can start making concrete plans
I deleted my comment, I didn't see the more informative one from armyRN until afterward.

I hope you find passage. I spent a week in Sitka. It isn't "Mainland AK," but it was still a beautiful, and interesting trip

Reactions: T. Stanley

Aloha_Cruiser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
S.
I know some families that recently moved from Alaska and drove through Canada. You’re correct they gave them a route and an expected completion time. They beat that time of course but I can talk to them if they know of any differences between leisure travel vs mandatory movement.
Update. They said there is mixed responses regarding non-essential/leisure travel vs official movement. Best thing would be to call the border offices to get direct info from them.
I did see some pictures they posted on FB and it looked amazing. Tons of wildlife and scenery. If you have the time and opportunity it would be worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: T. Stanley

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I know some families that recently moved from Alaska and drove through Canada. You’re correct they gave them a route and an expected completion time. They smashed that time of course but I can talk to them if they know of any differences between leisure travel vs mandatory movement.
Update. They said there is mixed responses regarding non-essential/leisure travel vs official movement. Best thing would be to call the border offices to get direct info from them.
I actually found quite a bit of information tonight while searching the internet for information on traveling to Alaska and “you still can as of now“ but they give you a whole list of do’s and don’ts along your way. what is strange is I found most of the useful information on the Canadian border info page, which I bookmarked for future reference.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I received my TAT stickers in the mail today! I'll wait till June to put them on. I'll put one on the windshield (probably lower driver's side corner) and maybe on one (or both) rear side window(s), and probably one on the trailer somewhere.

It would be nice if we all had a TAT sticker on our vehicle somewhere (at least on the windshield). They're only $1.50 each on the TAT website. When you order your maps, consider ordering a couple stickers. They're not too big (shown with a dollar bill for scale).

TAT stickers.jpg

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
If you ordered paper maps it might take longer.

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I just ordered a graphic for my truck, I know I don’t drive a Jeep but I loved the format.

C6BD7504-CDE1-4C8B-B09E-E13FE2DA8AB8.jpeg
if any of you guys would be interested in ordering one like this, he customizes the graphics to say pretty much anything you want. Here is a link to his item on e-bay Hood Vinyl Decal Graphics - Fits Jeep Wrangler SH-237 | eBay

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

Hello Hello , sorry i am late to the party, i did not see the messages or its not available on the mobile (phone or Ipad) but i just logged in with my laptop and here I am !! from the exchanges I read so far it look like its going to be a fun trip . My name is Jehad and I live in Orlando Tomorrow I will celebrate my 54Th Birthday ..Yay :smiley: I am looking forward to go on this trip as I will celebrate my first year of offroading . so last May I bought my Son as a graduation gift a 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad but after I drove it couple of time I knew that it will be fun so I stole it from him :relaxed: and literally ran with it all over the place !! my first trip was to Tennessee in June 2020 I went to the windrock park where i did my first offroad trailing and from there I got really hooked. so I went to Colorado Ouray thanks to Overland bound platform where i connected to a group of people that did a based camp event , and there I did a lot of trailes up Imogen pass, corkscrew , Engineering pass , cinnamon pass , Alpine loop, Ophir pass and It was a blast !! after that trip I went to the Appalachian Toyota event back at windrock then I went to "Rondevu at the Ozark" event . beside all the local trailing around Florida at the Ocala National Forest from June till Today I managed to put 22k mile on my Toyota !!. so this trip will be Ideal to celebrate my first year in the wild , I always say before June 2020 I was a domesticated Husband then I went wild :tearsofjoy: . check my Instagram @Da1_runner
I have my GMRS license already and I am 95 % ready for the trip . I received the TAT maps and its already downloaded on my Gaia . I may go creasy and buy a trailer for this trip but I am still debating on what will be the Ideal option so I am open for suggestion . Now Let me go back to my Bourbon ..Salut
PS.. please excuse my gramer I am still learning English :sweatsmile:
IMG_5724.JPGIMG_6179.JPGIMG_5884.JPGIMG_5741.JPG

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Welcome Jehad. I grew up in Altamonte Springs, and graduated from UCF back in 1988. It will be a great trip. Let us know if you have any questions.
I was a Florida boy too. I lived all over the gulf coast (mostly Clearwater, st. pete area) and lived 5 years in Ocala

DEADBEEF

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Upstate South Carolina, SC, USA
First Name
Michele
Last Name
Lary
Hey-ya’ll! I am so happy I came across this posting. TAT here we come! We (husband=Wayne, wife=Michele) were dreaming of doing the TAT this year 2021 as husband/wifey team. We have just signed up to go with the Overlanding group, so excited. We are newbies to the “pursuit of happiness in our 4x4 rig“ movement. Thus we are in the learning phase and soaking up all the great info from the experienced folks going on this trip. My husband and I are both recently “retired”, I.e. shut down the compilers, debuggers, and IDEs, left the cubicle behind and are looking for our next big adventures. We purchased a 2008 Lexus GX 470 as our trusty rig. So far she’s been great fun to drive and we are busily working on getting her outfitted as needed per the requirements for the trip. The transformation from “mall-crawler” to “rock-crawler”. Anyways kudos to armyRN for posting the invite, hope to see ya’ll on the trail.

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

Hey-ya’ll! I am so happy I came across this posting. TAT here we come! We (husband=Wayne, wife=Michele) were dreaming of doing the TAT this year 2021 as husband/wifey team. We have just signed up to go with the Overlanding group, so excited. We are newbies to the “pursuit of happiness in our 4x4 rig“ movement. Thus we are in the learning phase and soaking up all the great info from the experienced folks going on this trip. My husband and I are both recently “retired”, I.e. shut down the compilers, debuggers, and IDEs, left the cubicle behind and are looking for our next big adventures. We purchased a 2008 Lexus GX 470 as our trusty rig. So far she’s been great fun to drive and we are busily working on getting her outfitted as needed per the requirements for the trip. The transformation from “mall-crawler” to “rock-crawler”. Anyways kudos to armyRN for posting the invite, hope to see ya’ll on the trail.
Looks like we're "neighbors," Lol. You might want to also check out the South Carolina Adventure Route (S.C.A.R.) Home | South Carolina Adventure Route (SCAR)

Reactions: DevilDodge

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Welcome to the TAT adventure, it will be an awesome trip.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Welcome Wayne and Michele! It'll be a grand trip. Thanks for signing-up. Have fun prepping your vehicle and getting your gear - sound like you've got a great vehicle to start-out with. There's tons of information on the OB pages, and you can always just ask us if you have any questions. Are you doing the whole thing with us?

South Carolina... I used to live in Greenville a long time ago. I have good memories of S.C. It is always fun to go back there.