louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
damn...i just dropped $14K on a 5x8 camper by forest river...and their quality is total shit. had it 3 days and had to send it back for numerous repairs. i could have gotten a RangeRunner and went nuts decking it out and still come in less and have a foot wider camper to boot. i scoured the internet looking at offroad campers, dont know why i never saw runaway pop up in my search

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
is that the No Boundaries?
Yeah, NoBo 10.6. Awesome design and the shell is pretty good with aluminium framing and composite substrate, but the fit and finish is just horrible. I'm redoing a lot of it myself to get it up to par. There are thousands of complaints about the RV manufacturers putting out shoddy work. I love the idea of a well built shell and trailer frame and then outfitting the rest myself. Forest River uses some crap furring strips to frame the shelves and inner walls and they are stapled together. Most staples miss the members or have split the wood since it is so cheap and flimsy. The walls and shelves are pulling apart...all that had to be done was to use a little better wood and use adhesive and screws and it would be 10X better for just a few dollars more in better material. nb.jpg

Reactions: 64Trvlr

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Like I said earlier, I drove it home from the dealership and it immediately had to go back to forest river for a myriad of "warranty repairs". There are about 60 pics I took of problems but here is just one that shows how the walls are not attached to anything in most places. Once I got home and tried to put stuff in the shelves, I noticed the walls moved and flopped around. Its crazy. So, it sounds like Runaway might be a good platform to build from. If the quality is better and they take their time to do things right, then they already have the mainstream manufacturers beat in quality. The frame of the NoBo is made by Lippert and is about 14 gauge thick...a little light for going "off road" , plus I see in several places where the frame welds have pin holes that are now rusting. Its welded by wire feed and some places have the small piece of wire still stuck to the weld and a hole next to it where the weld wasn't completed. And obviously there was no QC or prep after the weld. Just slap on paint and get it out the door. I carry scraps of flat bar stock and Tek 5 screws because I'm sure I'll be making a frame repair out in the field one day soon.
I haven't seen a Runaway camper, but if the frame is welded well and the shell is fitted properly and sealed good against moisture, then I would definitely look hard at them...especially for the price point.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Graeman

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

sorry to hear. I built my 1st offroad trailer (1st pic) a few years ago, but the wife & I are getting up in age 60's & late 50's. I done a ton of research on square drop trailers, I wanted a Hiker, but the 1 year turn around time when we called was too much. I looked at Runaway & Vintage Trailers & I went with Runaway for several reasons, pretty much most of these square drop trailer are constructed the same. What I also like about the Runaway was the Range Runner (which I ordered) for the wider foot print of 6ft., Another is you can order a bare bones basic w\o any thing or order with added on's. We went with the 40"x40" rear door & roof rack.
Here's the spec's New Trailer Project: Range Runner
I feel the Runaway is a solid built trailer 2" boxed metal chassis w\3,500lb Dexter Axle, comes with 2 entry doors, 2 windows, spare tire & a\c unit. The birch 3\4"plywood is finished very smooth w\lacquer clear finish. I really can not fin any complaints. For me, it's a rock solid platform to build a nice enclosed square drop offorad trailer.

Reactions: D&D and grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
sorry to hear. I built my 1st offroad trailer (1st pic) a few years ago, but the wife & I are getting up in age 60's & late 50's. I done a ton of research on square drop trailers, I wanted a Hiker, but the 1 year turn around time when we called was too much. I looked at Runaway & Vintage Trailers & I went with Runaway for several reasons, pretty much most of these square drop trailer are constructed the same. What I also like about the Runaway was the Range Runner (which I ordered) for the wider foot print of 6ft., Another is you can order a bare bones basic w\o any thing or order with added on's. We went with the 40"x40" rear door & roof rack.
Here's the spec's New Trailer Project: Range Runner
I feel the Runaway is a solid built trailer 2" boxed metal chassis w\3,500lb Dexter Axle, comes with 2 entry doors, 2 windows, spare tire & a\c unit. The birch 3\4"plywood is finished very smooth w\lacquer clear finish. I really can not fin any complaints. For me, it's a rock solid platform to build a nice enclosed square drop offorad trailer.
Absolutely LOVE your work! That trailer build you did is very nice and you definitely pay attention to detail. Well, if anything ever happens to my NoBo or it "accidentally" goes over a cliff...I would certainly go with a Range Runner and build off of it. I'm going back to your build post...I just did a power box using a Harbor Freight trailer tongue box...I see a couple mods I can make now after seeing your design. I really appreciate your posts...great stuff!!

Attachments

Reactions: TNcaveman

Ta2Doc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, KY, USA
First Name
Brady
Last Name
Robinette
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RRX
I've owned my Runaway Navigator (I think they call it something different now) for about 2 years and it's been solid. I've had it in places that it was never designed to go and it's held up well. The Runaway team in Ocala is also the best bunch of people you'd ever want to meet. I love that they're providing a product at a price that, with a bit of penny-pinching beforehand, families can avoid the burden of increasing their credit debt!

I bought the Runaway with the intention of using it as the basis for a bigger build, basically sitting the upper section and frame down onto a steel frame with exo-cage. The goal was a more beefy and independently air-suspended base camp to tow behind the FrankenJeep. I'm about 3 months from embarking on that project with the goal of having it completed by spring 2020. Most of the engineering and cads are complete, but that's the easy part... Once the sparks start flying the frustration begins! :)

~doc

Reactions: CharlotteJacket

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
the wife & I talked with them on the phone, the woman for Runaway wasn't helpful on our questions & made us feel unimportant like we were wasting her time.
Our purchase was with WEEROLL , their OFFROAD SERIES WRANGLER X . AFFORDABLE CAMPERS, LIGHTWEIGHT CAMPERS, MINI CAMPERS, SMALL TOW BEHIND CAMPERS, DIY CAMPERS, WEE ROLL,
They are built far more rugged than Runaway trailers are, were WEEROLL trailers are built from "all" aluminum: chassis, framing structure, roof, floor, siding. Their turn around time is 4 to 5 months on our build.

We are still keeping our Dinoot M416 overland trailer w\RTT.
Do you still like your Weeroll trailer? Does it have any stress cracks in it. I had an all aluminum car trailer and it cracked like crazy, especially more so when it was empty. Aluminum does not flex very well and so it cracks and then when you go to fill in the cracks it further weakens the Aluminum.

Reactions: Lead Dog

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Which ever you choose really should be in line with the type of camping you really do. I researched for months on these mainly because we go off road and dispersed 95% of the time. Runaway or Hiker basic would be fine for easy camping. Ours was specifically designed for what we do and is very solid. Takes washboard roads and has more clearance than our truck. It is called Into the Wild Overland. View attachment 57267 View attachment 57268
I never heard of these guys, pricey, but definitely a well built unit.
Likely a "good value"

Lead Dog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake Havasu City, Arizona, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Clary
Member #

Something else to look into for a Very Well built all Aluminum box with a very sturdy 4" C Channel frame is the Expedition 2.0 from Off Grid Trailers! We've had these Military tested for strength and durability, If you want a go anywhere Adventure Trailer I can show you these also!

thumbnail (10).jpg

Enthusiast I

Berkshire County, MA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Broderick
Hey everyone. I've been researching small off road trailers for a few months now. I've narrowed it down to two options; the Runaway Venturist and the Hiker Trailer Extreme Off-Road Deluxe. My goal is to find a sturdy trailer that's easy to tow behind my Jeep JKU, is easy to maintain meaning simply built, can be modified by me after I get it, and that can handle being towed off road. I also want something light and as close to the same width as my Jeep as possible, just about 74 inches. Here's some info you may find useful if you're in the same boat.

The Hiker Trailer 4x8 is 78" wide with a dry weight of 1,500 lbs.

The Runaway Venturist 4x8 is 76" wide with a dry weight of 850 lbs. The Venturist also comes standard with brakes and Timbren axles. Brakes are extra on the Hiker and it has a solid axle.

I got quotes for both with options I'm looking for such as roof racks, awnings, jerry cans and mounts, matching my Jeep's lug pattern and after market wheels, and shelving. The quote for the Hiker came in over $12,000 with a build time of 12 months. The quote for the Venturist came in just under $10,000 with a 10 week build time.

I'm strongly leaning towards the Venturist for a few reasons. It's much, much lighter and still has a full steel off road frame. This will translate to easier towing and less wear and tear on my drivetrain. I can get it with everything I want without coming with things I don't want or need. Simplicity is a main feature. It will easily handle the types of overlanding I currently do. I can modify it as I go.

I hope this helps someone.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
They look like nice well built trailers, but my problem with the DoDrop trailer is $10k for a sleeping area and no galley. That kind of money will buy a topnotch RTT and premium camping equipment and I would still have money left over.

Enthusiast I

Berkshire County, MA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Broderick
They look like nice well built trailers, but my problem with the DoDrop trailer is $10k for a sleeping area and no galley. That kind of money will buy a topnotch RTT and premium camping equipment and I would still have money left over.
That's kind of where I am with the Venturist. I'm ordering one with certain specs I want and I'll still have money left over for other gear. I like the Venturist because it comes standard with what others charge you extra for (33" tires, brakes, full off road frame, timbren axles, max coupler) and it comes in under $10k. I know cost is relative but I'm at an age and stage of my life where I'm going to go for it before I find myself shopping for scooter chairs. Over the last 20+ years I've accumulated all the camping gear I need to fully outfit a trip. The only thing I don't have yet is a refrigerator. I also want a trailer so I can keep the weight of my Jeep down and have the ability to set up a base camp and leave it. That way I can explore during the day and not have to tear down every day. Plus I'll be able to go on trips with my soft top!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
That's kind of where I am with the Venturist. I'm ordering one with certain specs I want and I'll still have money left over for other gear. I like the Venturist because it comes standard with what others charge you extra for (33" tires, brakes, full off road frame, timbren axles, max coupler) and it comes in under $10k. I know cost is relative but I'm at an age and stage of my life where I'm going to go for it before I find myself shopping for scooter chairs. Over the last 20+ years I've accumulated all the camping gear I need to fully outfit a trip. The only thing I don't have yet is a refrigerator. I also want a trailer so I can keep the weight of my Jeep down and have the ability to set up a base camp and leave it. That way I can explore during the day and not have to tear down every day. Plus I'll be able to go on trips with my soft top!
That sounds like a nice trailer. I have the same problem in my JK - lack of space. You will love the refrigerator the first time that you use it. I have a 52liter one and that is half of the back of the Jeep. I want a small utility style trailer to carry my gear in that tow over the trails.

St8ton

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salisbury, NC
Member #

Runaway Venturist owner here. It's a great platform that is available without going above $10k. You can build out the interior to your needs and the possibilities are only limited to your imagination. No company builds a camper to last forever...they all take upkeep and will have bumps along the road. But the Runaway gives you a great platform and product to build from and work with.
I'll be glad to honestly answer any questions you may have.

Mine is a 6x8 Venturist. Full electrical setup with dual 100ah batteries, 165W Solar, custom lighting, refrigerator, shelving and storage.

yak51

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

I ordered my Venturist two or three weeks ago. Trying to control my excitement. I'm researching how I want the trailer to be accessorized. I want it to be organized and functional. Thanks for the post.

Tim

Reactions: CharlotteJacket

yak51

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Runaway Venturist owner here. It's a great platform that is available without going above $10k. You can build out the interior to your needs and the possibilities are only limited to your imagination. No company builds a camper to last forever...they all take upkeep and will have bumps along the road. But the Runaway gives you a great platform and product to build from and work with.
I'll be glad to honestly answer any questions you may have.

Mine is a 6x8 Venturist. Full electrical setup with dual 100ah batteries, 165W Solar, custom lighting, refrigerator, shelving and storage.

I really like your trailer, very nice! Sweet paint job. Is it a graphic wrap or paint job?