Rubbermaid Actionpacker vs Plano Sportsman's Trunk (Review)

• HTML tutorial

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Nice!!!! What model is that?
Pelican Air 1615.

While they're still relatively new, I may have the lids "Vehicle Wrapped" in white or silver, to reflect heat. The other option would be to attach solar panels to each one. The panels would need to be very securely attached, which might make the cases unusable as luggage. Velcro would be perfect, but I don't trust it at 70mph.

Four of these would fit nicely, and give me 120 watts @ <$400

IMG_4487.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Butt Hurt

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Only have experience with action packer but here is experience.
Ive been using bigger action packers for years. They have held up really well to lots of trips, rock crawling trails, baja trips. On the jeep TJ they would fit perfectly side by side in the back area, under a rack I had. With near 40-50+ lbs of spares and tools in each they did great, snug, and short enough to grab and pull out when they are that heavy.
On the 4runner they fit great in the back area over the pull out drawer box. Just cross the straps to opposite ends and they don't move. Again thinking of possible roll over or tip over gotta keep that stuff from moving.

I wouldn't want to put heavy Plano or action packers up on the roof rack but that's my preference. Only lighter stuff up there, less body roll, easy to get up and down. Each case has they place and usefulness for their owner, both are good.

If you are looking for a way to lock your acation packers or ammo boxes, here is a link for the brackets. A club member gave me one and they are great.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/Storage-Solutions_c_9.html

Comanche

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Goodyear, Arizona
Member #

I have a large action packer. My wife put some clothes in it that she doesn't want to throw away and put it in the garage . It was taking up too much space in the garage so I put it in the back yard with four other storage containers. They were there for more than ten years. All of the others have been disintegrated from the Arizona elements. The action packer still looks like new.
That's enough to sell me on the action packer.

Reactions: EOD Tam

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

I currently have 4 Plano 1719 68 quart containers for my trailer and will be getting at least 4 more soon. To finish out my storage for my rig/ trailer. I will be adding silicone to the bottom of each lid to make them waterproof. I will have mine setup as follows:

Trailer:
Kitchen (1)
Sleep (2)
Miscellaneous (1)

Vehicle:
Dry food (1-2)
Adult clothes (1)
Kid clothes (1)

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Trenchfighter

Trenchfighter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Perry, Michigan
Member #

I currently have 4 Plano 1719 68 quart containers for my trailer and will be getting at least 4 more soon. To finish out my storage for my rig/ trailer. I will be adding silicone to the bottom of each lid to make them waterproof. I will have mine setup as follows:

Trailer:
Kitchen (1)
Sleep (2)
Miscellaneous (1)

Vehicle:
Dry food (1-2)
Adult clothes (1)
Kid clothes (1)

Nice setup! When you do the silicone you should post a "how to" video!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: AZ_Overland

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

Nice setup! When you do the silicone you should post a "how to" video!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Been thinking about it may not do a video but can definitely do a write up.

The other container to consider it the IRIS 87 Quart weather tight store-it-all tote they are sold in a 4 pack on Amazon for 128 shipped.

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
I did a quick detailed comparison between two of the most popular storage containers out there. I researched a review comparing these containers online but didn't find anything out there so I decided to do one myself and throw it up on my blog.

Here is a link to the review
I really hate links that try to install browser extension I don't need or want

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I love my Plano storage containers, I picked up 4 of the smaller ones at Bass Pro on sale for $10 so shop around! I'll eventually be making them watertight but adding a rubber seal like the one below along the lids, just have to measure again to make sure I get the right width!