Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Lots of discussion on this in the threads but the highlights are:
PROs- Off the ground, comfortable sleeping b/c of the mattresses, ease of set up/ tear down, features like LED lighting built in, companion annex/tents (for most clamshell style tents), very roomy, durable, saves space inside cargo bay due to being roof mounted. There are probably more, but you get the idea.

Cons- pricey (average over $1000-$5000), must pack up prior to moving your vehicle (unless mounted on a trailer), requires additional expense or modifications of a roof rack to mount it on top of a vehicle or trailer. Again there may be more but ‘‘tis is a start.

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Yep pros and cons…

not the be all end all list, but a starting point.
I do have a RTT and travel solo in my truck. I like having easy setup and storing everything up there. But, I does take me about 10min to set up and tear down. I also do not have little ones with me So being on top of the 4Runner is okay. I would prefer the pickup configuration with the tent mounted lower.(pretty tall rolling down the trail)

RTT
Pros
comfortable mattresses
sleep where you park (level the truck and you are set)
easy one person setup
speedy setup (hardshell designs)
store bedding in tent(some yes some no)
clear of all ground water

Cons
Cost
higher center of gravity (depending on mounting)
higher profile (depending on mounting)
in and out in the middle of the night sucks
possibly up high, may not recommend with little kiddos
limited size

Ground tent
Pros
cost
large footprint (plenty of room for 2 or more)
cumfy cot sleeping options
Speedy setup (gazel or hub style are super fast and easy)
safe on the ground with young kiddos

Cons
need space for truck and some smooth ground for the tent
bedding and tent travel in vehicle, possibly on top.
unexpected rising waters

hope this helps more than it confuses.

—Steve

Reactions: Glen Canning

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I loved my ground tents but set up took time and If it was tall enough to stand in, it took forever to set up and tear down. If it was winter, I had to plan its footing for water run off. Then I made a trailer mounted RTT. Mounted on the trailer, set up was quick, didn't matter how the ground was, I could level it. It wasn't raised up high so climbing in/out was easy. If it rained I was good. I never wanted it on top my vehicle because of where I go, it would be too top heavy.

RTT and ground tent both held up to high wind (40mph+) (low profile ground tent) but I want to say the RTT was noisier. Now I have a hard side tear drop. good insulation and quiet.

If I went back to a ground tent, I would buy an OZ tent. Fast set up and tear down, can stand up in it and I have seen them in 50mph wind. The only issue is packed, their big. I had my RTT for almost 10 years. It served me very well but if you research them you will see a love/hate relationship.