RTT Tepui vs CVT vs HIT

• HTML tutorial

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

I've been looking at the Tepui for sure. I'll have the chance to check a few different brands out throughout this summer and then decide after that.

Sent from the Mountains
I am at the Overland and Coffee event right now, and I can say for sure that the ladder quality on the Tepui tents are better than my TuffStuff tent

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Overland and coffee? Sounds like cars and coffee
Yeah. It's Cars and Coffee. Met some more OB Members there today. Cool Gathering

Dave the owner of the Black Diamond Cafe had his Tepui tent open, and the ladder is better than my TuffStuff ladder. Even another guy there with a CVT said he liked the Tepui ladder more too

Reactions: Glenn and MBroenkow

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

If there is one complaint I have about my cvt it's the ladders. They just feel cheap. There are some telescoping ladders you can upgrade to but until these fail me I'm not planning on it.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Yeah. It's Cars and Coffee. Met some more OB Members there today. Cool Gathering

Dave the owner of the Black Diamond Cafe had his Tepui tent open, and the ladder is better than my TuffStuff ladder. Even another guy there with a CVT said he liked the Tepui ladder more too
Which cars and coffee was it? What area? May have to show up at one of these!

W6WWK

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I bought a CVT Mount Shasta tent last year. While I love how comfortable it is and how fast it deploys. But the build quality is a little lacking in my opinion. Lots of loose threads. I had 2 seems come undo on the annex by 4 inches on the second trip out. The tent piping is always working out of the base. The instructions were not that great either.

To be fair I don't have any experience with any other RTT, thats just been my experience with my tent. Would I buy another one? Most likely. At the time I bought it, it had the most features for the price. But It would have been nice to see a few different makes side by side

Last edited:

Rob

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I've had my Tepui Ayer for about a year and a half now and I love it. From what I can tell, CVT and Tepui are very similar and I ended up going with Tepui since they are relatively local to me so I was able to pick up from their warehouse and save on shipping. Now that Rei carries tepui and you can use your 20% discount coupon, I would buy it again in a heart beat. Nothing against CVT, I'd definitely consider their RTTs but saving on shipping (and using the discount at REI) was a huge factor in my purchase.

C.L.Gravy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Krum, Tx
Member #

I've had my Tepui Ayer for about a year and a half now and I love it. From what I can tell, CVT and Tepui are very similar and I ended up going with Tepui since they are relatively local to me so I was able to pick up from their warehouse and save on shipping. Now that Rei carries tepui and you can use your 20% discount coupon, I would buy it again in a heart beat. Nothing against CVT, I'd definitely consider their RTTs but saving on shipping (and using the discount at REI) was a huge factor in my purchase.
I just purchased a CVT Mt Rainier online yesterday for me, the wife and the boy. I'll let you know what I think about it once we put it to use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Glenn

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I bought a CVT Mount Shasta tent last year. While I love how comfortable it is and how fast it deploys. But the build quality is a little lacking in my opinion. Lots of loose threads. I had 2 seems come undo on the annex by 4 inches on the second trip out. The tent piping is always working out of the base. The instructions were not that great either.

To be fair I don't have any experience with any other RTT, thats just been my experience with my tent. Would I buy another one? Most likely. At the time I bought it, it had the most features for the price. But It would have been nice to see a few different makes side by side

The tent needs a good water soaking as suggested before all the stitched seams tighten up. Its just the way heavy fabric stitching is...nice setup ! :smile:

C.L.Gravy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Krum, Tx
Member #

The tent needs a good water soaking as suggested before all the stitched seams tighten up. Its just the way heavy fabric stitching is...nice setup ! [emoji2]
That's the same setup I'll be running on my frontier. What did you have to do to make the annex work with the lower height?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using OB Talk mobile app

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

I will be getting an Autohome Airtop in the very near future. Its just my wife and I in the tent, and I'd rather not have the "flying brick" on my roof rack that is all other RTTs. Besides, the 3.5 inch thick mattress, plus insulated floor and roof, plus aerodynamics when traveling is well worth tossing a ground tent out for a changing room/restroom in my book.
http://www.autohomeus.com/roof-top-tents/air-top/
I have noticed that there is very little mention of Autohome in the forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve_birdsall

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I will be getting an Autohome Airtop in the very near future. Its just my wife and I in the tent, and I'd rather not have the "flying brick" on my roof rack that is all other RTTs. Besides, the 3.5 inch thick mattress, plus insulated floor and roof, plus aerodynamics when traveling is well worth tossing a ground tent out for a changing room/restroom in my book.
http://www.autohomeus.com/roof-top-tents/air-top/
I have noticed that there is very little mention of Autohome in the forums.
Never saw that particular brand before. The only 2 things I don't like about it is 1) the price! 2) It would take up the entire roof leaving me no room for light storage. Pretty kool looking though !

Reactions: C.L.Gravy

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

Never saw that particular brand before. The only 2 things I don't like about it is 1) the price! 2) It would take up the entire roof leaving me no room for light storage. Pretty kool looking though !
Yeah, they are big, but I'll be putting mine on a ladder rack, so it will actually be over hanging the windshield of my truck. Will be a great sun shade when we take desert trips. I am a few months away from finishing my build, then I'll post up some pics.

Reactions: Glenn