RTT Tepui vs CVT vs HIT

• HTML tutorial

Mario

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Santa Rosa, CA USA
Member #

I'm in the market for a RTT. Would love to just do this once, hoping to get some insights on these brands. I lean towards quality and ease of use. We have three kids, & saved up around 2K-3K budget. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: giarc1234

GoldenStateAdv

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lompoc, Ca
Member #

I don't have any experience with CVT other then when I was searching for my RTT. Additionally, Hi is new to the scene. I have a Tepui Kukenam which I have had since April 2015, and a 6ft awning since March 2016. I chose Tepui for a couple reasons:
- Quality. They were the only company which stated they had a quality control employee in place at the factory in China. My research uncovered that all the tents come for the same place, however, the main difference was if the company had someone in place to monitor the quality.
- Location. Tepui was the only company at the time located in Ca. Not only would this save me hundreds on shipping, but in the case of issues they were within driving distance.
- Reputation. At the time Tepui was fairly new, but I couldn't find a single negative comment about them, and they were rapidly becoming noticed in the market. I am not saying CVT or the others are bad or have a bad rep - they don't.

As stated above I have nearly two years on my Tepui, and several transactions/interactions with them - including a photo shoot in Nov. '15. I am beyond happy with them. They been fantastic to deal with. My tent is nearly two years old, living on my vehicle the entire time, with dozens of trips under its belt. I am only now in need of replacement parts (travel bag and straps) which is normal wear for living outside in the sun.

Mario

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Santa Rosa, CA USA
Member #

I don't have any experience with CVT other then when I was searching for my RTT. Additionally, Hi is new to the scene. I have a Tepui Kukenam which I have had since April 2015, and a 6ft awning since March 2016. I chose Tepui for a couple reasons:
- Quality. They were the only company which stated they had a quality control employee in place at the factory in China. My research uncovered that all the tents come for the same place, however, the main difference was if the company had someone in place to monitor the quality.
- Location. Tepui was the only company at the time located in Ca. Not only would this save me hundreds on shipping, but in the case of issues they were within driving distance.
- Reputation. At the time Tepui was fairly new, but I couldn't find a single negative comment about them, and they were rapidly becoming noticed in the market. I am not saying CVT or the others are bad or have a bad rep - they don't.

As stated above I have nearly two years on my Tepui, and several transactions/interactions with them - including a photo shoot in Nov. '15. I am beyond happy with them. They been fantastic to deal with. My tent is nearly two years old, living on my vehicle the entire time, with dozens of trips under its belt. I am only now in need of replacement parts (travel bag and straps) which is normal wear for living outside in the sun.

Much love and appreciate your insights Bro! Love your rig!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Check out 23ZeroUSA. A lot of what they include CVT charges extra for. The annex has larger doors and is a lighter material which I prefer! Not that CVT is a bad tent. I owned one. The annex was always a pain to deal with and too tall for my trailer. The 23Zero is easy to take on and off and the height is better. Yes, it will still work on a vehicle roof. Just some nice features on the 23Zero for the same price. Skylights, rugged design with metal parts vs plastic, better stitching.

Here's the 4ft wide "front" door on the 23Zero Byron tent. Also has the side doors and panel to access your truck or trailer. Velcro on the sides by the zippers is nice as well. The panel for this door is huge. You could use it as a patio roof with some poles or tied to something.

$2095.00 http://www.23zerousa.com/roof-top-tents/23-zero-byron-roof-top-tent

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Reactions: Mario and masonlist

Adventure-Farmer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

I love my Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized XL. It is great quality, and very easy to use, also looks great (I have the green version). My Wife, 2 young children and I all fit very comfortably for a great nights sleep.
My third child is on the way in June, so we will see how 5 fit!

Reactions: Mario

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I love my Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized XL. It is great quality, and very easy to use, also looks great (I have the green version). My Wife, 2 young children and I all fit very comfortably for a great nights sleep.
My third child is on the way in June, so we will see how 5 fit!
Agreed. I have the same tent and it is my second from Tepui. My first was a regular Kukenam and it was originally the price (under $1k) that attracted me. That one served me well for several years until I sold it to go with the larger and sturdier XL ruggedized. Since my RTT is trailer mounted, the appeal of the ruggedized version made sense as it would take a little more of a beating on the trails.

Last edited:

Mario

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Santa Rosa, CA USA
Member #

With 3 kids, I would recommend the cvt mt Denali. It's their 4+ person tent but it's huge. I have comfortably slept 5 adults and tightly slept 6. Tons of room and great build quality.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Thanks Brother!

Mario

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Santa Rosa, CA USA
Member #

Check out 23ZeroUSA. A lot of what they include CVT charges extra for. The annex has larger doors and is a lighter material which I prefer! Not that CVT is a bad tent. I owned one. The annex was always a pain to deal with and too tall for my trailer. The 23Zero is easy to take on and off and the height is better. Yes, it will still work on a vehicle roof. Just some nice features on the 23Zero for the same price. Skylights, rugged design with metal parts vs plastic, better stitching.

Here's the 4ft wide "front" door on the 23Zero Byron tent. Also has the side doors and panel to access your truck or trailer. Velcro on the sides by the zippers is nice as well. The panel for this door is huge. You could use it as a patio roof with some poles or tied to something.

$2095.00 http://www.23zerousa.com/roof-top-tents/23-zero-byron-roof-top-tent
Thanks Bro!

RSO_Tyler

Rank 0

Contributor II

Well since no one has mentioned a HiTent yet I'll throw this in:

1: completely different design then all the other manufactures apart from the floor and ladder. HiTent didn't use the same manufactures as everyone else so you get something unique

2: The fabric is ridiculous. 400 gram which is really thick and very insulating in the summer and winter.

3: Stainless Steel hinges for the aluminium hoops which are rig welded and heavy duty

4: 2 year warranty and free freight shipping to local businesses or freight terminals

5: easy to set up, and they are normal Colours which is cool. I'm not about the bright Colors for my tents, I like the earthy colors.

6: mattress is stupid comfortable, 3" thick high density foam. I'm 250 lbs and 6'5" and I have plenty of room for my and my Girlfriend and don't wake up sore.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Desertsand

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alameda
I originally found my first rtt (Tepui Ayer) on craigslist. It was great an well built. Eventually decided to sell it and picked up a Autana ruggedized as we were looking for more room. Went the ruggedized route for the added strength an long term use.

Can't go wrong with the brands you have listed though.

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

I think any reputable brand would serve you well. I was gonna get a Tepui as they're only a little over an hour drive from me and they seem to be very highly regarded. I ended up with a TuffStuff RTT I got secondhand from Craigslist. It was a good deal and thus far has not let me down. Quality seems fine as far as I can tell and it comes with the annex also.

My buddy @mitchandbuck has a CVT and he likes it a lot. Only RTT that I have heard of having any issues is the Smittybilt and that's just little quality control things. Seams and stuff.

Attachments

Reactions: Glenn

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I've had a CVT Mt. Shasta for a year and it has been very good. A couple issues that have bugged me with it, the piping in the outer cover was too large to slide easily in and out of the slider. I bought a second slider so I could leave the cover on and the annex piping won't slide into that accessory slide either. I also have had the piping pop out on the two outer corners, which I'll never be able to get back in. I have also had the main floor hinge not seat together properly a few times when deploying it. We are considering getting a larger RTT next year, and I think I may look at a different brand. The CVT fit the budget I had at the time but I'm prepared to spend more next time for one with a little better construction.

Sent from the Mountains

Reactions: VDawg1115

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

I've had a CVT Mt. Shasta for a year and it has been very good. A couple issues that have bugged me with it, the piping in the outer cover was too large to slide easily in and out of the slider. I bought a second slider so I could leave the cover on and the annex piping won't slide into that accessory slide either. I also have had the piping pop out on the two outer corners, which I'll never be able to get back in. I have also had the main floor hinge not seat together properly a few times when deploying it. We are considering getting a larger RTT next year, and I think I may look at a different brand. The CVT fit the budget I had at the time but I'm prepared to spend more next time for one with a little better construction.

Sent from the Mountains

Sounds like you need a Tepui Ruggedized series

Reactions: trikebubble