Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The trailer is a very modified 4'x6' Tractor Supply Carry-On That is 24” off the ground. The sides are 25” high. The rack is being built/mounted upon a beefed up subframe ( 2x2 ) 17”s above the topsides for access, which would be 42" uprights. (2x2) This gives us a rack height of 66”s from the ground. We carry about 380 lbs of which 235lbs +/- is water and gasoline. So its roughly 150 lbs of kitchen drawers, cast Iron cookware, back packs, chairs, tables, etc, etc, in the trailer. The trailer has a 74" track width atop 285/75/16s. The aluminum rack ( 41"x60") will be bolted to the fore and aft uprights and the RTT bolted upon the rack giving an additional 2" in height getting it up to 68". I'm six foot, so not a big deal to duck under something 4" shorter than I. I considered a telescoping set up, however, That much gizmology just isn't worth the 5 or 6 inches gained in height. I'm thinking that I'm OK as the height of the racks, are still shorter (66") (80" high with tent mounted) than the track width (74") and will scale out at 200 lbs=/-. My question is twofold, Is this too high? BTW, I also use a 5 ton pintle hook, so it's nearly impossible to lay it completely over. I view my rough diagram and I see other trailers out there that have the RTTs mounted a lot higher than my plan, but I think they must not traverse very technical terrain. All informed opinions are welcome, and thanks for your time.

IMG_4752.JPG

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

49DA910B-FF50-4F4B-9127-59C86C3FD836.jpegC28A30E0-4FFE-4953-891B-6D1E54C1D0F6.jpeg
Moak this is what I came up with trailer bed is 4x6

Tongue is 5 foot for over all length of 11 foot for easy backing
As pictured weighs 800
8EFB52E2-8703-4432-AAC1-48A9EA3CABDA.jpeg25BAAEDF-A000-4191-8FF1-8F3E0B690D36.jpeg
All lights are protected with 2x2 angle iron

Reactions: LionelJeeper

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

The other thing I found out after mounting tent on trailer is watch axle center line vs tent center line

make sure you have tent far enough forward on trailer with your weight at back up tent to hold trailer tongue down

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The other thing I found out after mounting tent on trailer is watch axle center line vs tent center line

make sure you have tent far enough forward on trailer with your weight at back up tent to hold trailer tongue down
ya, I've got my tongue weight all figured out.

DIYTaco15

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Stewart
Member #

This is my first trailer I’ve built. Tongue to back is 9.5ft, 4’x5.5’ I mounted the tent frame centered over the axle. It sits 5 ft high. I added gas struts to lift it 10” if needed. I have 12” space under neath the tent if needed. Lights all around under the tent. Added a 270 awning, that I also made.

Attachments

Reactions: Tut and VJarman

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Could also just put leveling jacks on all 4 corners and not worry bout it. Also can unhook and go hit trails with the trailer still set up

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

I love this. Would be perfect for me with the addition of a large tandem kayak mount in the middle.
It works well for Kayaks and RTT and some storage left still 9DB33933-0FBE-43EA-AA31-4248E6D6BC43.png

I currently have one set up to carry five Kayaks three on top and two in middle also works well go trips to lumber yard1E47EA48-D733-43BF-9122-59F58FF86CED.jpeg
Please DM me if you would like more info as not high jack this thread and Thank You

Reactions: LionelJeeper

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Could also just put leveling jacks on all 4 corners and not worry bout it. Also can unhook and go hit trails with the trailer still set up
It has more to do with proper tongue weight while hooked up and traveling. We’ve all seen someone’s trailer wiggling wildly on the highway - not enough tongue weight. And we’ve all seen the tail of a tow vehicle dragging butt - too much tongue weight. I use a bathroom scale for my very light trailer.

05EXCURSION

Rank VI

Influencer I

Renton, King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lujan
Member #

The trailer is a very modified 4'x6' Tractor Supply Carry-On That is 24” off the ground. The sides are 25” high. The rack is being built/mounted upon a beefed up subframe ( 2x2 ) 17”s above the topsides for access, which would be 42" uprights. (2x2) This gives us a rack height of 66”s from the ground. We carry about 380 lbs of which 235lbs +/- is water and gasoline. So its roughly 150 lbs of kitchen drawers, cast Iron cookware, back packs, chairs, tables, etc, etc, in the trailer. The trailer has a 74" track width atop 285/75/16s. The aluminum rack ( 41"x60") will be bolted to the fore and aft uprights and the RTT bolted upon the rack giving an additional 2" in height getting it up to 68". I'm six foot, so not a big deal to duck under something 4" shorter than I. I considered a telescoping set up, however, That much gizmology just isn't worth the 5 or 6 inches gained in height. I'm thinking that I'm OK as the height of the racks, are still shorter (66") (80" high with tent mounted) than the track width (74") and will scale out at 200 lbs=/-. My question is twofold, Is this too high? BTW, I also use a 5 ton pintle hook, so it's nearly impossible to lay it completely over. I view my rough diagram and I see other trailers out there that have the RTTs mounted a lot higher than my plan, but I think they must not traverse very technical terrain. All informed opinions are welcome, and thanks for your time.

View attachment 175498
I'm using a m105 military trailer tent sits 96" from the ground. Built a new frame for the tent to sit on. Belive me I take it everywhere. Next thing is install water tank, water heater and shower

Attachments

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm using a m105 military trailer tent sits 96" from the ground. Built a new frame for the tent to sit on. Belive me I take it everywhere. Next thing is install water tank, water heater and shower
Interestingly enough I ended up going a wee bit higher with the bottom of RTT platform at 6’2” off the ground. Perfect heigth for me at 6’ and no where near high enough for it to lay on its side. 3D23DF97-6963-49A1-B2A2-44F7E4AD3B9A.jpeg

Reactions: ftwobtwo

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Looks like you’ve got this figured out now, but I’ll chime in for others who may read this thread. I’m 80” to the bottom of the RTT and an outside width of 72” on the wheels. It’s a great height for the annex (which we never use). I’ve had it on some fairly technical trails, including some pretty good side hills with no worries. My box is fairly “dense” so it has more weight down low than the converted utility trailer that started this thread, but I’d have to get pre-tty rowdy to tip it on its side.

Attachments

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I'm 6'4" (76") tall so my tent when deployed sits at about 78" so I don't have to worry about hitting my head LOL!

Reactions: MOAK

Mountaintrails71

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newman Lake, Spokane County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Schlenker
Member #

I just finished this trailer and kept mine low. My tent is at my head level so I can deploy it from the ground. I had a RTT on top a rig and hated it. Yes you have to bend a little to go under it but I put the kitchen on the other side of the trailer.

Attachments